Pinto, Courgette & Mushroom Bake - is it okay?

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
Hi, I have a favourite recipe that I couldn't eat under the Slimming World regimen, because of the sauce. I was wondering if under the diabetics guidelines it might be okay - yes, I know I should test to see, my test meter should be here at the end of the week, but until then - is there any hope do you think?
Here's what's in it:
PintoBakeFullRecipeSM_zpsk9nu3k2i.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Check the Carb content of the Ingredients, and the you will know how many Carbs each portion will be.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sauce would be a no-no due to the flour... I just make a cheese sauce by melting cheese (grated cheddar) into warmed double cream .. what's not to like?

The Pinto beans look a bit carby 26g per 100 so just have the courgette and mushroom.. maybe add some aubergine?
Fry off the veg in butter then add to a dish pour over creamy cheese sauce and stick it in the oven for 20 mins..
Who needs recipes?
Just for your info tomato puree is also quite high in carbs.

You can look up the carb content of ingredient using our friend Mr Google just add "nutrition" after the ingredient.
Or the app MyFitnessPal will give you a good carb counter.

Reactions: 4 people

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
@FranOnTheEdge , what I did when I first went low-carb was to avoid complex recipes such as this one and try something I knew was zero or very low carb (for example an egg) plus single ingredients, testing my BG before, one hour after and 2 hours after. For example, I'd have and egg plus cheddar cheese, then having tested I might try egg, cheese and courgette, then perhaps courgette, cheese and tomato. That way I got to know what raised my BG. That way I worked out what I personally can eat without raising my BG. Once you know about separate ingredients then you can confidently approach complex recipes.

I found that there are some things that others here can tolerate but I can't - porridge, for example. I've also found that there were things I used to be able to tolerate but can't any longer - carrots, parsnips and pumpkin are some. But that's because I'm progressively losing insulin production: it probably won't apply to you, so once you know what you can eat you'll be set.

Kate

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sauce would be a no-no due to the flour... I just make a cheese sauce by melting cheese (grated cheddar) into warmed double cream .. what's not to like?

The Pinto beans look a bit carby 26g per 100 so just have the courgette and mushroom.. maybe add some aubergine?
Fry off the veg in butter then add to a dish pour over creamy cheese sauce and stick it in the oven for 20 mins..
Who needs recipes?

You can look up the carb content of ingredient using our friend Mr Google just add "nutrition" after the ingredient.

But would you be able to get the sauce to rise like a soufle with the egg in it? - that's the best part.

I've made this with dwarf green beans instead of Pinto Beans before, for someone who couldn't eat pulses - not quite the same, but... shrug.
I'm still trying to figure out how to use the "MyFitnessPal" app. I've found out how to add a recipe I've made myself - but mostly the ingredients I've used have not been found by it, so I'm a bit uncertain about its efficacy.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@FranOnTheEdge , what I did when I first went low-carb was to avoid complex recipes such as this one and try something I knew was zero or very low carb (for example an egg) plus single ingredients, testing my BG before, one hour after and 2 hours after. For example, I'd have and egg plus cheddar cheese, then having tested I might try egg, cheese and courgette, then perhaps courgette, cheese and tomato. That way I got to know what raised my BG. That way I worked out what I personally can eat without raising my BG. Once you know about separate ingredients then you can confidently approach complex recipes.

I found that there are some things that others here can tolerate but I can't - porridge, for example. I've also found that there were things I used to be able to tolerate but can't any longer - carrots, parsnips and pumpkin are some. But that's because I'm progressively losing insulin production: it probably won't apply to you, so once you know what you can eat you'll be set.

Kate
Loosing insulin production is something that the doctor warned could happen... That's depressing.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Fran

I found a basic book for carb contents of foods to be really helpful. I bought a few from amazon when i was first low crabbing, a complete carbohydrate counter book and Collins Gem calories, carbohydrates and fats http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carb-Counte...57371632&sr=8-1&keywords=carbohydrate+counter

I found that some of the fitness pal data wasn't that accurate (some of the data was for non-uk versions of foods)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From what I can see, you have 2 carby things in that recipe. The flour and the pinto beans.
Some people find tomato puree too sweet too, but there is only 1 tablespoon of that, so don't worry about it.

You say you have tried it without the beans before, and it has been nice. So that swap is easy.

The flour... well, it really just depends on your personal tolerance for flour.
2 tablespoons in a pint of milk for the sauce isn't that much, but you have to divide it into portions.
How many does the recipe serve?
Personally, I couldn't have the whole pint, but I could probably have 1/4, if the recipe is designed for 4.
See what I mean?

Honestly, with a recipe like that, that you know, love, and are happy with, I would make it, eat a normal sized portion and test my blood glucose like a hawk, testing every 20-30 mins until it returns to fasting level.

If your bg goes too high, you have 3 choices:
- never eat it again
- eat a smaller portion
- swap the flour for something else, and accept that it won't ever look and taste quite the same

But there is always the chance that your body can tolerate it fine - and it would be sad to lose a lovely dish without testing it at least once... :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

3oz beans + serves 6 = half ounce of beans each. I am surprised they are even allowed to call it pinto bake o_O

*loves beans* :D

@FranOnTheEdge Please let us know how it turns out and whether it troubles your bg.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Er, how? Is there an app or something?

There is such a thing as Google

You can check the nutrient value of every foodstuff on the planet in a few seconds.

Or you could just ask someone else to do the hard work for you.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fran I use myfitnesspal and although it does have a lot of mismatch of ingredient I find it useful. When you search for food put the brand name in as well as the food eg Asda Smartprice cream cheese or Tesco Everday Value Chickpeas. You are more likely to get the correct values. If you every need help there Ill send you my account details in a pm.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Who needs recipes?

But would you be able to get the sauce to rise like a soufle with the egg in it? - that's the best part.

I've made this with dwarf green beans instead of Pinto Beans before, for someone who couldn't eat pulses - not quite the same, but... shrug.
I'm still trying to figure out how to use the "MyFitnessPal" app. I've found out how to add a recipe I've made myself - but mostly the ingredients I've used have not been found by it, so I'm a bit uncertain about its efficacy.
Fran I use myfitnesspal and although it does have a lot of mismatch of ingredient I find it useful. When you search for food put the brand name in as well as the food eg Asda Smartprice cream cheese or Tesco Everday Value Chickpeas. You are more likely to get the correct values. If you every need help there Ill send you my account details in a pm.
Hi Kyi,
I've been trying to use that app, Kyi, and I can't get my head around it very well. I've discovered how to add ingredients to a recipe of my own but I don't usually get the right ingredient come up on the list and even when I do it won't let me (for instance) use a whole can of red kidney beans. I'm making these recipes to freeze so I have something to eat when my husband is eating his gorgeous curries. sob! wail!
I also can't figure out how to scan the bar code of a dinner I want to eat (or have already eaten - I save the packaging.) I did find the barcode scanner on the ingredients list for my own recipes but that still will only let me add half a can at the most - Off topic, I know but I couldn't send you a PM, it wouldn't let me say what I wanted to say and MyFitnessPal is driving me potty! can you help?

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Kate
Yes, I will try that when I get my meter.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I have made soufflés before using a flourless cheese sauce with egg yolk in it then gently folding in whipped egg whites and baking in little ramekins. Not sure it would work in this recipe though.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@FranOnTheEdge

You have my undying gratitude.
I tried your recipe. (You had me at 'soufle' )

I had to make a few mods, based on what I had available.

No pinto beans, so a 240g tin of red kidney beans, and 240g tin of butter beans. (drained weight)
I had a courgette, but no mushrooms, and I had an onion, and half a leek. No basil, but a lot of tomatoes.
Strong white flour, and a chili mustard in the cheese sauce.

And I ate maybe a quarter to a third of it, with a glass of a very nice rose bordeaux.
Eaten on it's own, no sides.
The rest (of the bake) will be refrigerated/frozen.

Now, I'm not LC as such, I certainly don't 'HF', and I try to avoid saturated fats if possible, so it ticks all the boxes.

And one hour later, (sitting down, watching TV, no exercise at all) 7.5,
One and a half hours later, 6.2

Result!!!!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.9 now

Get another portion.

(not really, I count the calories, and it is very filling, so I reckon that'll do me for the night)

Reactions: 3 people

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@FranOnTheEdge

You have my undying gratitude.
I tried your recipe. (You had me at 'soufle' )

I had to make a few mods, based on what I had available.

No pinto beans, so a 240g tin of red kidney beans, and 240g tin of butter beans. (drained weight)
I had a courgette, but no mushrooms, and I had an onion, and half a leek. No basil, but a lot of tomatoes.
Strong white flour, and a chili mustard in the cheese sauce.

And I ate maybe a quarter to a third of it, with a glass of a very nice rose bordeaux.
Eaten on it's own, no sides.
The rest (of the bake) will be refrigerated/frozen.

Now, I'm not LC as such, I certainly don't 'HF', and I try to avoid saturated fats if possible, so it ticks all the boxes.

And one hour later, (sitting down, watching TV, no exercise at all) 7.5,
One and a half hours later, 6.2

Result!!!!
Wow! That's a lot of beans! I'm glad you liked it. Got my test meter today, reading the book now. My husband has volunteered to do the stabbing part - I'll just bet he will...! Not looking forward to it - at all.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tinned pinto beans are about 15g of carbs per 100g, and a tin is about 240g when drained.
I'm guessing the 75g in the recipe was dried weight, so times that by about 3 when cooked, I would have said I only used twice as many as in the recipe, but my excuse was I had no mushrooms. ;)
Even if I eat it in 5 portions, I reckon I would be ok personally with 15g of carbs from the beans.
Some in the onion, leek, tomatoes, and flour, but obviously not enough to raise me by that much.

Now you have a meter, you need to start testing, and see what your own personal tolerances are.
Then try this recipe, it was delicious.