Can animals / your pets sense when you are not well...

lukkymik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The opposites of above!!!!
I have 2 dogs.. My black lab Roy certainly knows if my wife or I are unwell and becomes very attentive and cuddly which @ 90+lbs can be a bit "heavy". More importantly tho our rescue cat Leisha maybe saved my life not once but twice as I was upstairs tidying the back bedroom and next thing I know my disabled wife had come through with my diabetes bag as Leisha gad been running from me to herring to get Annie to come and help me. My Bloods Glucose level was 3.5 and I was potentially about to slip into a coma. Annie gave me some glucose and I slowly came round until I was "with it" again. About 6 months later she was jumping on my chest at 3am and my BG level was 3.8. Not sure what she senses but I'm sure glad she does!!! I'd hardly ever been below 5 before or since so I've had a real wake up call thanks to my little lady Leisha!!!

linnyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
People who are cruel to people or animals.
My cat knows straight away if i am unwell or upset, but I also know a gentleman who is type 1 & lives alone, he has a dog who is trained to warn him of low or high blood sugars. He brought him to a group I was at one day & my bm's where really high, the dog wouldn't leave me alone!!

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
These stories of pussycats saving people choke me up. I love kitties anyway. How wonderful they can be.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
My friends have taken on a 3 year old Rotti rescue, he was playing a game with me the other day and suddenly turned round sat in front of me and began to nudge me insistently, Now I new I was heading low as my pump had alarmed 15 mins earlier. I never thought any more of it until Dino came and put his head on my lap two days later and just stared at me. Again I knew I was starting to get low and had been eating a couple of jelly beans to make sure I didn't hypo. (basal was in the process of being checked) I asked his owner if she had any treats for him as he such a good boy.
I've never known a dog that wasn't mine tell me to sort a low out, so very impressed.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My friends have taken on a 3 year old Rotti rescue, he was playing a game with me the other day and suddenly turned round sat in front of me and began to nudge me insistently, Now I new I was heading low as my pump had alarmed 15 mins earlier. I never thought any more of it until Dino came and put his head on my lap two days later and just stared at me. Again I knew I was starting to get low and had been eating a couple of jelly beans to make sure I didn't hypo. (basal was in the process of being checked) I asked his owner if she had any treats for him as he such a good boy.
I've never known a dog that wasn't mine tell me to sort a low out, so very impressed.

Thinking rationally.. The dog heard the rustle of the packet & saw you pop a jelly bean, & thought "got one for me?"

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thinking rationally.. The dog heard the rustle of the packet & saw you pop a jelly bean, & thought "got one for me?"
Er no because the first time he told me I was low there were no jelly beans and secondly the beans are kept in a gluco tab tube.

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Er no because the first time he told me I was low there were no jelly beans and secondly the beans are kept in a gluco tab tube.
I know that it isn't that easily explained, as my sister's Miniature Schnauzer woke me up early one morning as I was into hypo territory. I posted about it a couple of pages back. You can sort of understand it when it's an animal you're close to and they must be very familiar with your smell, but when it happens with a dog you're less well known to, it makes you wonder what they pick up on - it must be scent related?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Fair comment. Just covering all basics... o_O

I can understand now how airport sniffer dogs are so easily fooled with contraband concealed in the airtight containers.. ;)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And a cautionary tale about why it's a good idea to take care of diabetic feet!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And a cautionary tale about why it's a good idea to take care of diabetic feet!

Quality.! I've had many a "diabetes bogie man" story as a kid. But never "the dog will chew yer toes off if you don't....."

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
I've in the past had a DAD (Diabetic Alert Dog) who though natural ability could tell when I was hypo not so much hyper.

I'm working on getting another DAD, but in the mean time i'm working on get my husband a Epileptic Response Dog because to me his need for a service dog is greater then mine (if I get one great, if not then do so be it).

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's a weird anomoly with my dog Scrappy..

The other day (quite out of charactor.) he came up to me as I sat in the conservatory & wouldn't leave my side.. Then he started gently "pawing" me.. I tested & was fine.

Then the thoughts of those stories about the "demise of the owner" I started to worry???
They "know this stuff" right?

Then 20 minutes or so later, he puked up on the laminate floor.
You couldn't imagine my relief..

We have an expensive rug in the living room.