1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Can animals / your pets sense when you are not well...

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Molly56, Dec 2, 2014.

1. lukkymik

lukkymik Type 2 · Well-Known Member

2. linnyb

linnyb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My cat knows straight away if i am unwell or upset, but I also know a gentleman who is type 1 & lives alone, he has a dog who is trained to warn him of low or high blood sugars. He brought him to a group I was at one day & my bm's where really high, the dog wouldn't leave me alone!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. LucySW

LucySW Type 1.5 · Well-Known Member

These stories of pussycats saving people choke me up. I love kitties anyway. How wonderful they can be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My friends have taken on a 3 year old Rotti rescue, he was playing a game with me the other day and suddenly turned round sat in front of me and began to nudge me insistently, Now I new I was heading low as my pump had alarmed 15 mins earlier. I never thought any more of it until Dino came and put his head on my lap two days later and just stared at me. Again I knew I was starting to get low and had been eating a couple of jelly beans to make sure I didn't hypo. (basal was in the process of being checked) I asked his owner if she had any treats for him as he such a good boy.
    I've never known a dog that wasn't mine tell me to sort a low out, so very impressed.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Thinking rationally.. The dog heard the rustle of the packet & saw you pop a jelly bean, & thought "got one for me?"

6. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Er no because the first time he told me I was low there were no jelly beans and secondly the beans are kept in a gluco tab tube.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BooJewels

BooJewels Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I know that it isn't that easily explained, as my sister's Miniature Schnauzer woke me up early one morning as I was into hypo territory. I posted about it a couple of pages back. You can sort of understand it when it's an animal you're close to and they must be very familiar with your smell, but when it happens with a dog you're less well known to, it makes you wonder what they pick up on - it must be scent related?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Fair comment. Just covering all basics... o_O

I can understand now how airport sniffer dogs are so easily fooled with contraband concealed in the airtight containers.. ;)

9. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

And a cautionary tale about why it's a good idea to take care of diabetic feet!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Quality.! I've had many a "diabetes bogie man" story as a kid. But never "the dog will chew yer toes off if you don't....."

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Nyxks

Nyxks Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've in the past had a DAD (Diabetic Alert Dog) who though natural ability could tell when I was hypo not so much hyper.

I'm working on getting another DAD, but in the mean time i'm working on get my husband a Epileptic Response Dog because to me his need for a service dog is greater then mine (if I get one great, if not then do so be it).

• Like Like x 2
  12. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Here's a weird anomoly with my dog Scrappy..

The other day (quite out of charactor.) he came up to me as I sat in the conservatory & wouldn't leave my side.. Then he started gently "pawing" me.. I tested & was fine.

Then the thoughts of those stories about the "demise of the owner" I started to worry???
    They "know this stuff" right?

Then 20 minutes or so later, he puked up on the laminate floor.
    You couldn't imagine my relief..

We have an expensive rug in the living room.

• Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook