Alcohol

shelbyyyy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone give me some advice on drinks that are ok for diabetes, it's my 18th in a couple of weeks and I want to go out but not sure what is good to drink and what to expect when I drink.

I've never really properly drunk since I've had my diabetes I am on a pump aswell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cannot give you definitive advice since I wouldn't have a clue about working out how much insulin to take etc. The only thing I wish to say is that the mixers can be more of a problem than the drink so make sure you choose well. I have read people on here who say that if they order a diet coke then in some pubs it comes out of the same tap as the normal stuff since some pubs don't understand the importance.

Reactions: 2 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
red wine or spirits with diet drinks. I like gin&tonic or whiskey with diet coke the most. You can reduce your basal a bit for the evening and definitely for the night and next morning. It really depends how much you drink . You may need an extra snack before bed. For the first time I would advice to take it easy:)

Reactions: 4 people

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Great advice from @ewelina above, take it easy for a few times until you know how you react to it

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Here's my motherly advice, drink in moderation, drink water in between drinks and finish the night with some chips or pizza, so something carb heavy, stay away from sugary cocktails and drinks if you can, test regularly, dance a lot and make sure you have a best mate who can look out for you and have a fabulous evening ;)

Reactions: 6 people

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your drinking spirits with mixers always ask for bottles of diet. That way if you see the bottle it gives you the reassurance of knowing what's in them. Wine has little effect on my bloods.
Stay away from beer and ciders, they generally are full of sugar. Just don't go mad til you know , what alcohol is doing to your bloods.

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Happy 18th! Vodka and Diet Coke or gin and slim line tonic. Red wine is my favourite. I'm sure you are too sensible but if you found yourself very drunk, you might not recognise hypo symptoms so just try to remember to test before you go to bed.

I don't hypo until mid morning the next day- you will need to practice to see how you react The main thing that caused me problems as an 18 year old was the dancing with alcohol. It doesn't seem like exercise- especially after a drink.

Hope you have a fab night

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can anyone give me some advice on drinks that are ok for diabetes, it's my 18th in a couple of weeks and I want to go out but not sure what is good to drink and what to expect when I drink.

I've never really properly drunk since I've had my diabetes I am on a pump aswell

Before your birthday night out try having a few drinks in the safety of your own home to see what effect alcohol has, enjoy your birthday :)

kelp84

I am on the vodka and diet coke train.
If you can, choose bottles of diet coke- do, as you always know what you are getting! If you go for the pump/mixer, MAKE Sure you try to watch them when they are pouring it ( this can be hard) but if you have a clear line of sight its easy to tell as normal coke is the top button and diet coke is always the button futher down, if you see them pushing the top button they are pouring normal coke you can refuse to take it :) or try to stop them pouring,

Always make sure you test your bloods before bed, I ALWAYS eat a snack if I have had a lot to drink, as I panic I will go low and not wake up due to the alcohol, but this is just me :)

I am the same as London 36, my levels always plummet the next day after a drink, so watch out!

Have an amazing birthday and don't let diabetes get in the way : )

xx

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ideally a best mate who can sleep close or check in the morning.

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
Vodka has very little sugar in it, apparently the way vodka is distilled

mibby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another vote for red wine here. But, diabetic or not, it's probably sensible to avoid getting completely twatted on your first outing!

(How I wish I'd taken my own advice when I was, er, 11 ... :dead:)

shelbyyyy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everybody, I don't think I'll be getting out of my face but want to have a good time obviously. Everyone's help and made me feel a lot more reassured

Reactions: 4 people