Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
Up again this morning, to 8.0. Had a breakfast of 100gms Greek Yoghurt with 6 walnuts, and 2 hours later my reading had jumped to 11.3
I have that breakfast quite often, but it doesn't usually have that effect so goodness knows what's going on
Was it a full fat yogurt? What was the net carbs, I've given up any yogurts and go for double cream, both extra thick and normal variety.

Reactions: 8 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.9 at 9.45 am on wake up then down a bit to 6.5 at 12 o'clock after a further nap. Not hungry so doing a a bit of fasting again for another couple of hours. Then 6.5 pre and 6.2 post meal of home made low carb focaccia and soup.

Since levels are still going down and more or less flat lining after higher fasting figures, my overall average is still on target for an HbA1c of around 40, so I can't complain, can I! :D

Robbity

Reactions: 26 people

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was it a full fat yogurt? What was the net carbs, I've given up any yogurts and go for double cream, both extra thick and normal variety.
Hi @Stallen, it was full fat yoghurt, 6.5gms carbs per 100gms, which is slightly higher than recommended but I've had it before and it hasn't spiked me that much. An hour later it was back down to 8.2,. I then tested before lunch and it was down to 8 again. 2 hours after lunch it was 7.4. I really struggle in the mornings as, whether I eat breakfast or not, my readings just seem to climb through the morning. Then they start dropping from lunch onwards.

Reactions: 8 people

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@TooManyCrisps I've had a delayed carb effect. I can be fine 2 hrs after a none sugary carb and its as if I get a delayed knock on effect.
Did you have a carb breakfast yesterday or the night before?
I am sure it hits me later! I've even been chuffed at a very low spike then I pay for it later. I might be wrong thou.

Hi @ickihun, I always test at 2 hours post meal if I can, and yoghurt hasn't pushed me up before.

I had a relatively low carb dinner at 6pm last night, (chicken, broccoli, a few green beans, homemade pesto dressing), went to the gym for 2 hours 8pm - 10pm, then didn't eat until 8am this morning. I usually eat breakfast at 7am but decided that, as I was running late, I would take yoghurt and nuts with me to work and eat there. I might try sticking to eggs tomorrow morning as they are usually ok. Boring though!

Reactions: 10 people

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
Hi @Stallen, it was full fat yoghurt, 6.5gms carbs per 100gms, which is slightly higher than recommended but I've had it before and it hasn't spiked me that much. An hour later it was back down to 8.2,. I then tested before lunch and it was down to 8 again. 2 hours after lunch it was 7.4. I really struggle in the mornings as, whether I eat breakfast or not, my readings just seem to climb through the morning. Then they start dropping from lunch onwards.

I'm currently tucking into Morrisons extra thick double cream and a large chopped up strawberry. It's been my most recent indulgence the double cream is only 1.6 total carbs per 100g.

My daily BG levels were higher than my actual Hba1c turned out to be, so I'd not worry too much as long as you're not spiking.

Edit to add BG 6.4 before the snacky treat and just 6.2 one and half hours post snack

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 17 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @ickihun, I always test at 2 hours post meal if I can, and yoghurt hasn't pushed me up before.

I had a relatively low carb dinner at 6pm last night, (chicken, broccoli, a few green beans, homemade pesto dressing), went to the gym for 2 hours 8pm - 10pm, then didn't eat until 8am this morning. I usually eat breakfast at 7am but decided that, as I was running late, I would take yoghurt and nuts with me to work and eat there. I might try sticking to eggs tomorrow morning as they are usually ok. Boring though!
@TooManyCrisps it sounds like your liver is helping you out. It thinks your fasting. Others are finding Gym with no protein snack can increase bgs sometimes delayed. No breakfast and on the go definitely gets my liver going.
That's why it's important to have breakfast. A cold boiled egg boiled the evening before or nuts but must be before exertion. Otherwise your lovely liver will dump on you.
Also a recent tv programme study revealed that women lose more weight if they eat before exertion/exercise. Men are the opposite. Apparently.
Beat that liver @TooManyCrisps :)

Reactions: 6 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@TooManyCrisps - I agree with @ickihun - you've already fasted overnight so you need to eat something at breakfast, even if it is a big lump of cheese or handful of nuts or boiled egg - just to prevent your liver from being active. You can but only try it and see.:)

Reactions: 10 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
In the last few weeks my BG has been higher before a meal than two hours after,its witin range.below 8.5
I have started taking my Metformin 500mg in the morning rather than night,,but from what I have read Metformin dosent make difference to BG

Reactions: 13 people

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.7 at 7.30 (had a bit of a lie in as I had an appointment at the doctors at 9.30) ... 5.8 at bedtime (22.40)

Reactions: 25 people

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@TooManyCrisps - I agree with @ickihun - you've already fasted overnight so you need to eat something at breakfast, even if it is a big lump of cheese or handful of nuts or boiled egg - just to prevent your liver from being active. You can but only try it and see.:)
I do eat breakfast most mornings, but my levels just creep up through the morning. I occasionally don't eat breakfast, and they still creep up. I think my body just won't co-operate in the mornings!

Reactions: 9 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Good Morning

Reactions: 21 people