Carb Content In Foods?

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
Is there a list of foods, high carb and lower, and their carb content? So that, depending on our individual sensitivity, we can see what to definitely avoid, what to be careful with, and what is okay to eat.
That would be really helpful.

I know there is already a list of low carb foods, but it would help so much to know what's higher and what's definitely too high.

I've searched, but I can't seem to find one.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You'll also find heaps of stuff on Pinterest

http://pin.it/8vLyZGn
I thought you'd like this Pin on Pinterest...
Looks interesting, unfortunately I can't read any of the items on that circular representation. Too tiny and blurry. Tried to locate the source, but nothing there anymore.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you check grocery products on some of the UK supermarket websites, they'll give full nutritional information for many of them. I know for sure that both Tesco (which I use) and Waitrose do this. Otherwise try manufacturers sites. For fruit and vegetables you can also check Google but be aware that the USA and UK treat carbs differently - the USA includes fibre in the total carbs figure so it needs to be subtracted to give net carbs, which should be equal to our UK total cabs values. But for grown produce it can only be the best "guestimate" since different varieties and growing conditions will affect carbohydrate content.

Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a book, also available as an app, from Amazon. It is called Carbs and Cals. It lists hundreds of foods with photos of portion sizes on plates, with weights, carbs, calories, fat, protein, and fibre content. It was my bible when I first started this game and I still use it now.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If you check grocery products on some of the UK supermarket websites, they'll give full nutritional information for many of them. I know for sure that both Tesco (which I use) and Waitrose do this. Otherwise try manufacturers sites. For fruit and vegetables you can also check Google but be aware that the USA and UK treat carbs differently - the USA includes fibre in the total carbs figure so it needs to be subtracted to give net carbs, which should be equal to our UK total cabs values. But for grown produce it can only be the best "guestimate" since different varieties and growing conditions will affect carbohydrate content.

Robbity
Yes, I always look at those now. (UK ones) But you don't see those on a cucumber, beetroot, onion squash, butternut squash, things like that. And until very recently I had no idea something watery like a cucumber even had any carbs in it, but according to the list David1968 posted, there are 3 in a cucumber - weird! And what about your own home grown ones? No idea at all. You're right Robbity, it's very hard to tell sometimes.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
There is a book, also available as an app, from Amazon. It is called Carbs and Cals. It lists hundreds of foods with photos of portion sizes on plates, with weights, carbs, calories, fat, protein, and fibre content. It was my bible when I first started this game and I still use it now.
I got that recently, never thought to look in there. Thanks, I'll go look now.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
this is what i use link below
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carb-Counte...8-1&keywords=gem+collins++pocket+carb+counter

as a paperback -- it is also on the site as a free app to DL

Thanks for that, I've tried to get it to send me the app... just a waiting game now.
Got a message from Amazon, but it's not going to work - when I try clicking on it, it just says you have to sign in to do that, I go okay, sign in, but up comes "the page you have requested is invalid" - it's a dead end, so no joy there. Never mind - it's saved me some money. No need to buy anything from Amazon that needs an app.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If there is a particular food you are interested in then type "carbs in <name of food>" into the browser search bar.

Reactions: 2 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you type carbohydrate counter. into your search engine you can find what you need
CAROL

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If you type carbohydrate counter. into your search engine you can find what you need
CAROL
Oh that would be handy. I didn't know there was such a thing, Thanks very much, Carol.