Dark Chocolate Recommendations

EdMac

So I'm wondering if anyone has discovered a high quality dark chocolate they can recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:
P

paula.nolan42

This is the dark chocolate that I've been eating - its quite nice - Tesco have it
image.jpeg

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
South American chocolate is nice, fruitier and not as bitter as most chocolates from Africa, a bit more expensive though. You may not find it in your ordinary supermarket.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also like the Lindt 90%, I did try the 99% but didn't like that one.

Reactions: Energize

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are few 70%s i don't like, but it is so much down to taste.

Back when i finally admitted i had to make the switch, i did my usual mildly-obsessive investigation, expecting to find one or two i liked, and many i didn't.

The methodology was to buy 1 bar of every kind of 'good' choc i could, starting with Tescos (our nearest supermarket) and slowly extending my explorations through Lidl, Aldi, Morrisons and Sainsburys. We don't have a Waitrose. ;) I have since spread the net wider.

It came as quite a shock to discover that i found something appealing about nearly all of them. The only ones i avoid are Green and Blacks 70%, Godiva and Hotel Chocolat. Too posh for their own good. Lol. Aldi and Lidl's and Lindt are now my convenient standbys, but enjoy many others if i visit a source.

The trick is to comparison test 2 at a time - then you ALWAYS come away with one slightly better, one slightly worse. :writer: And never overload your palette with more than a couple of squares of each at a time.

Blimey, i sound just like one of those dreadful wine snobs.
Though why anyone would drink wine if choc was available, i cannot imagine...
Hahaha!

Reactions: 10 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Marks & Spencer, Intense and Dark Chocolate....................yummy yum yum

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Aldi do a nice 85% Dark Chocolate under the brand name Moser Roth, each pack contains 5 individual bars that contains 4g of carbs each.

If you want something sweet then Lidl do a 70% Dark Chocolate with Caramel, the brand name is J.D Gross and each square of chololate has 5g of carbs (they are quite big squares), it's very moreish so do be warned :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like the the Lindt dark chocolate but can only manage their 85% bars. But I've always had a migraine issue with dark chocolate so once I found I could cope with 1-2 pieces this I've not bothered about trying other percentages or brands. I still have to be a bit wary about how much I can safely eat though... :(:(

I think my non-diabetic dark chocolate eating husband used to buy Green and Blacks but now he'll often get the Lindt 85% or 90% bars instead.

Robbity
(slightly stuck between a chocolatey diabetes rock and a migraine hard place...)

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm very happy with Sainsbury's Taste the Difference 85% Cocoa Dark Chocolate. The taste is smooth and rich, I prefer it to Green & Blacks, and it comes in 5 convenient individually wrapped 25g bars inside a cardboard tablet.
http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-85%-cocoa-dark-chocolate--taste-the-difference-125g#BVRRWidgetID

ETA: There are recipes for making your own LC marshmallows, using egg whites, gelatin and sweetener, but I've not tried them - I was never a great fan.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Red wine and a couple of squares of lidl.81% choc = bliss
CAROL

Reactions: 6 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Totto, do you have any particular brands in mind?
No, sorry, I live in Sweden and am not clued up on UK chocolate. I'll let you know if find out as I'm off to Manchester tomorrow.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I'm with @noblehead here - I'm not diabetic but I follow a ketogenic diet to control my Epilepsy. Aldi's Moser Roth is definitely my choc of choice if I fancy a treat!

hesleden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sainsburys own 85% comes in 5 small bars in pack and very good on taste!!

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
On Saturday I watched a program about chocolate puddings, not the easiest viewing whilst on a low calorie fast. But anyway James Martin was making home made marshmallow with a chocolate dip. That's out because the marshmallow is basically a lump of sugar. But he used dark chocolate and what he said was quite interesting, as follows:

"Most people will tell you that dark chocolate is very bitter in taste. But I disagree. Provided you buy high quality dark chocolate it doesn't taste bitter at all."

I quite like a bit of chocolate and I've tried the 85%+ stuff I can buy in the supermarkets - but it does tend to taste a little bit like soil (I imagine).

Price is no guarantee of quality as some producers are just good at branding. So I'm wondering if anyone has discovered a high quality dark chocolate they can recommend?
Hotel chocolat make a range called Supermilk, which is a low sugar, high cocoa content, not as black as some of the very high cocoa contents but very palatable, with a lovely rounded chocolate taste without the bitterness. I have found I can eat a small amount of this after a meal without spiking - worth a try!

NoughtQAF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Major chocolate addict here! I can recommend the fin carre and j d gross chocolates from lidl and moser roth from aldi. The moser roth is very similar to lindt, but I find it smoother. The j d gross have a range of dark chocolates some are almost fruity tasting others are intensely cocoa.

I can't comment on bg effects as I'm trying to avoid chocolate at the moment for digestive reasons.

Edit: I forgot the delight that is ritter sport especially the extra fine dark chocolate. It's sometimes available at lidl. It is sweet tasting but without being sugary.

Last edited by a moderator:

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tesco, 72% ivory cost. Cheap and good. I'm sure there are better ones but they wont beat the price of £1 per bar

Reactions: 4 people

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
found this online. based in new york. have not tried it...yet
http://www.raakachocolate.com/
they have a 79% organic Belize cacao with yacon (cane sugar free) & a 60% organic Dominican cacao with coconut milk. and a whole bunch of other unusual flavours

sigh...

Mybesteffort

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LINDT 90% is the best dark chocolate in the world. :) :) :)

It is so chocolate and good. If you go lower than the 90%, it tastes grainy sugar, sweetner blecch.

You only need a tiny bit of a square and then savour it ....yum.

Amazing if you eat it with cashews, or a few raspberries etc.

Happy chocolate.