For those on low carb - do you ever have bread or potatoes?

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been on low carbs for almost 2 years now.

Last week with my mince I decided to have mashed potatoes too. They were delicious :hungry: I've had them a few times in the past few months.

And because the sky didn't cave in, I've wondered if I could have them as a once-a-week treat. Do any other low-carbers do this and does it have any detrimental affects on your health and weight?

Do you have treats at all and how regular would you say you have them?

Am I justifying a pig-out?

Reactions: 4 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do a pub quiz at my local once a month which includes a fish and chip supper. I started off by asking for salad instead of the chips but now allow myself this monthly 'treat', together with a glass (or 2!) of red wine. Nothing disastrous in the BG levels.

Reactions: 9 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I /the wife counts my carbs ,, if I want potato.. pasta or another high carb foods .. she will adjust the amount and the rest of the meal accordingly .. I found out the hard way that saying I wanted veg pie, chips and mushy peas .. honestly you could have fitted it on the top of a pickled onion jar lid ... I know this because this is what my wife dished it up on ... just to prove her point of no foods being off limits. If you can eat potato or other high carb foods with out it affecting your blood sugars ... then its no problem .. I keep my sugars under 7.8 2hrs after eating, mostly lower than this. So the choice is yours

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes only real mashed potato will do. If I make a cottage pie or maybe a fish pie I always use real mash.... I have tried cauliflower and celeriac mash as a substitute but it is not the same and spoils it for me.. I don't have it every week maybe just a couple of times a month but it is so good

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The question is paradoxical.

We are low-carbers because we do not eat bread or potatoes.
If we were to eat bread or potatoes we would not longer be low-carbers.
:wacky:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat 70 - 80g carb a day made up from mainly above ground veggies and salads but I do eat burgen bread, a couple of small new potatoes, the odd roastie, a couple of chips and mashed potatoes - but only a tablespoon full that has been cooked and chilled before reheating - I can't do pasta or rice - not sure if I'm classed as low carb or not - and to be frank I don't care, I eat to my meter not definitions and my meter says I'm fine with those so I enjoy them now and then - if your meter shows you numbers you are personally happy with then go ahead enjoy them

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to be OK with small portions of chips (say 8-10), or mash made with cheese and cream (heaped tablespoon), or 2 roasties.
Its because these a buried in a protein meal, and have fat alongside.
Maybe once a week...

My total disasters would be baked, mashed, new potatoes if they had no accompanying fat.
It would be a hyper sugar high like a 5 yr old, followed by a crash. Not good.

Last edited by a moderator:

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
it is indeed possible to eat a low carb diet and indulge in the odd mashed potato indulgence

example menu

breakfast - 3 egg omelette with ham and herbs-- 0 carb
lunch - cheese slices ( or tuna chunks ) and salad with oil and vinegar dressing (typically 6-8 carbs total )
dinner - grilled chicken breast ( 0 ) 200 grams mash potato ( 34 carb ) steamed broccoli 100 gr ( 1.1 carb )
100 gr steamed cauliflower ( 2.2 carb )

daily total 45.3 carbs

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I am diet only Type 2

I consider myself very low carb, up to 30g a day, but I eat potatoes included in this 30g. I have 2 or 3 very small baby new spuds, or 2 small pieces of roast, or a few chips (homemade when at home, or however they come when eating out). I would say I have spuds around 4 times a week, but always with plenty of fat. I cannot manage mash or jackets at all. Funnily enough, the chips are better than the new spuds and roasties for some reason. Probably the fat. Providing I stick to these small portions my levels are fine.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Not me. I low carb, not 'no carb'.

I do find I have no taste for bread or potatoes anymore. They are bland by comparison to the foods I have replaced them with.

With the exception of the occassional sliced of thickly buttered seeded bread toast, that is.

Reactions: 13 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It might just be me because, I can't eat spuds they are just not good for my bloods, nor grains, nor dairy, but fructose in small quantities is ok.
I do allow myself a slice of Bergen bread at least once a day.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wouldn't eat potatoes, bread or pasta. I can't do moderation. If I had mash potato I'd eat til I burst! I do love cauli cheese mash though.
My partner is type 2. He eats lchf but does eat pasta, bread and other carbs but as a planned treat. He can do moderation. I'm not jealous much!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't eat potatoes, bread or pasta. I can't do moderation. If I had mash potato I'd eat til I burst! I do love cauli cheese mash though.
My partner is type 2. He eats lchf but does eat pasta, bread and other carbs but as a planned treat. He can do moderation. I'm not jealous much!

Yes, moderation is the key. I am fortunate, I can do moderation. I just make sure my plate is full of other nice things to compensate. I doubt I could manage to eat larger portions now.

happier than you

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always look at things as a carb to how much i like it ratio. I don't particularly like potato, chips, pasta or rice. Don't get me wrong, i have the odd craving for fish and chips, lasagne, chili and rice, but as i don't massively like any of those i only have them rarely. I really love bread, so it makes more sense to me to have the odd sandwich and get my carbs from something i really like. I also really like chocolate, so again even though it seems like wasted carbs on junk, i think it makes more sense to eat chocolate and have a low carb meal than eat a shedload of carbs in a supposedly healthy meal i don't really even like. I pretty much restrict my carb intake to things i really like.

I always prefer to eat little amounts of what i like than large amounts of stuff i don't like. I'd take a chicken salad sandwich over a massive plate of salad any day. People who end up consuming 800 calories on a "healthy" salad, because it needs to be drenched in **** to make it edible are properly crazy! May as well have a cheeseburger.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Low carb is just words where is it written that you can't eat potatoes or bread to be called a low carber. Low carb means eating less of them and everyone is different in how many carbs they eat and what foods they can tolerate. You have seen from replies on this thread some here can eat small amounts of bread and potatoes but probably very much less an amount than they did before diabetes yet I am sure they still consider their overall diet to be low carb

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I figured the emoji made it obvious I was being silly...but thank you for educating me on what "low carb" is.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carb is just words where is it written that you can't eat potatoes or bread to be called a low carber. Low carb means eating less of them and everyone is different in how many carbs they eat and what foods they can tolerate. You have seen from replies on this thread some here can eat small amounts of bread and potatoes but probably very much less an amount than they did before diabetes yet I am sure they still consider their overall diet to be low carb
Exactly. The 'normal ' recommended daily carb intake is 300g or above, so anyone doing 120g or less would be low carb in my eyes. I am not and never will be VLC (<20g)

I (and my carboholic family) have eased myself gently into LCHF. During the early stage, I was getting a liver dump mid day that made nonsense of my averages. I solved this by having a repeatable breakfast of 2 slices of seeded toast (38g carb, <1g sugar_) with butter. Testing showed it had minor effect on bgl that dissipated quickly and stopped the liver dumps.
With this breakfast I lowered my bgl to drop my HbA1c to 44 and using the HF I controlled my weight so it remained static (as desired for me). However, it was clear from my recent lab test results that I was not triggering the ketogenic aspect of LCHF. Since then I have stopped one slice of toast in the morning, and my bgl has dropped significantly in less than a week. My averages suggest an HbA1c now is estimated to be 31. I have stopped taking my evening meds as agreed with my DCN and GP.

Yesterday I had a fish and chips supper. all my readings that day were under 5 mmol/L The portion was enormous, and I ate the batter too but left some chips.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I figured the emoji made it obvious I was being silly...but thank you for educating me on what "low carb" is.
Sorry, but emojii's do not display well on my PC. They are so small that they do not convey any info except a coloured blob. Under the magnifier it seems the emoji you chose is poking out its tongue at me - is this the message you wanted to convey?

Reactions: 5 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No - I chose to eat a very low carb diet and don't include any high carb food. By doing this I can eat a wider variety of low carb foods in my daily allowance. I've ended up with much better health now. But if you want to eat higher carb food, then it's entirely up to you how many carbs you choose to eat, how you choose to allocate those carbs, and of course what your body will tolerate.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people