Help Swede/Turnip

lorsand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am newly diagnosed (one month) and am following the LCHF diet and exercise (oh! so much exercise!!). Planning ahead for meals I can take to work I have just made up a big batch of stew with: beef, celeriac, onions, peas, lentils and SWEDE. Having a browse around I have seen that all root vegetables tend to be bad for us on this forum so my question is "having cooked the stew with swede, can I take it out before eating it, or has all the carbs transferred themselves to the gravy" (sorry this is a daft question but I am really trying to cut the carbs out because I don't think they like me at all. Also whilst I have your attention - are sausages any good? I don't really like the chunky meat ones but am worried about the fillers in the normal ones ie; Richmond Thick Sausages.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Swede and turnip are usually OK. Go ahead and eat! Celeriac is fine too and I even venture a bit of carrot in my stews.

Then we are often very different so test and see how you react.

Reactions: 2 people

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I did mashed swede for my partner (the diabetic one) as it is very low in calories and was low in carbs according to the book I had on carb values. His blood was right up the next day. Checked the GI index and it was really high, about 75. I didn't understand why if it was low carb. I put a post on here about it and some people said they are okay with it, others said they are not. So I would say to eat your soup and see if you get high bloods after it. You'll know for next time then. As for sausages, I started buying Heck Chicken Italia sausages (£3 for a pack of 10 in Tesco) when we were on a low fat diet as they are only 72 calories for 2 sausages. He seemed okay on them and, although we are now doing a low carb high fat diet (which is working well) I have carried on buying them as we like them. They don't put all the rubbish in that you get in other sausages. I also buy venison sausages sometimes because they are mostly meat. Hope this helps.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Celeriac is really yummy but caused hubby and me to have chronic trapped wind!!
Can't answer with sausages...
I suspect taking swede out of stew would be ok and reduce the carbs..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am newly diagnosed (one month) and am following the LCHF diet and exercise (oh! so much exercise!!). Planning ahead for meals I can take to work I have just made up a big batch of stew with: beef, celeriac, onions, peas, lentils and SWEDE. Having a browse around I have seen that all root vegetables tend to be bad for us on this forum so my question is "having cooked the stew with swede, can I take it out before eating it, or has all the carbs transferred themselves to the gravy" (sorry this is a daft question but I am really trying to cut the carbs out because I don't think they like me at all. Also whilst I have your attention - are sausages any good? I don't really like the chunky meat ones but am worried about the fillers in the normal ones ie; Richmond Thick Sausages.

For the sausages check out the high meat content ones.. There is a brand that waitress have recently started selling called Heck which are 97% meat. Just check the packaging it usually lists the pork content on the back.. it may come from one or two different cuts so you might have to add it up!. Also check out local farmers markets ..we go to one in Chichester where one of the stalls sells a brand called O'Hagans which has 3 or 4 different flavours with high meat content. Personally I wouldn't do less than 95% meat.

Reactions: 5 people

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
turnips are considered an anti-diabetic in folk medicine so I would definitely leave those in.

To cut down on the carbs of root veggies, don't roast them before adding them to anything which raises their sugar content, don't caramelize them in a fry pan, either. Just boil them and leave the lid on to preserve vitimins Don't know what SWEDE is. As to sausages, note that many have some sugar added in their processing, so check ingredients and labels
If you are in the USA a swede is a rutabaga.

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also swede is 9g of carb per 100g so not awful...in moderation of course

I have it a bit now after discovering its quite low in carbs , my collins gem say 2g of carbs per 100g but others say 5g or 9g as bulkbiker says, one site says its 9g before cooking and 5g after :) whichever its quite low , I use 5g but if you are worried use the 9g to be on the safe side.... and 100g portion is pretty good size on the plate..........

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
turnips are considered an anti-diabetic in folk medicine so I would definitely leave those in.

To cut down on the carbs of root veggies, don't roast them before adding them to anything which raises their sugar content, don't caramelize them in a fry pan, either. Just boil them and leave the lid on to preserve vitimins Don't know what SWEDE is. As to sausages, note that many have some sugar added in their processing, so check ingredients and labels
How can roasting turnips raise the carb content?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
For the sausages check out the high meat content ones.. There is a brand that waitress have recently started selling called Heck which are 97% meat. Just check the packaging it usually lists the pork content on the back.. it may come from one or two different cuts so you might have to add it up!. Also check out local farmers markets ..we go to one in Chichester where one of the stalls sells a brand called O'Hagans which has 3 or 4 different flavours with high meat content. Personally I wouldn't do less than 95% meat.

I loved heck sausages... And I don't like meatty sausages- preferring the **** inside resco value sausages! But heck ones were soooo lovely.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I did mashed swede for my partner (the diabetic one) as it is very low in calories and was low in carbs according to the book I had on carb values. His blood was right up the next day. Checked the GI index and it was really high, about 75. I didn't understand why if it was low carb.

Hi Magisham. Hi GI foods are often only bad when you eat them in isolation, which is also when you tend to eat rather more of them. When eaten in combination with other foods, particularly high fat stuff like sausages, the GI one individual part becomes somewhat meaningless (as it is absorbed much more slowly).

Personally I've found that I tolerate swede (turnips) fairly well when eaten in modest qualities and with other foods. Similarly for other medium carb vegetables like onion, pumpkin, carrot and peas. I never sit down to a meal consisting solely of those things (and quite frankly I wouldn't enjoy it if I did), but added to my other LCHF dishes in modest quantities none of those affect my BG levels too badly.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I loved heck sausages... And I don't like meatty sausages- preferring the **** inside resco value sausages! But heck ones were soooo lovely.
we really like the flat ones... like sausage burgers..almost as good as maccy d's breakfast sausage (I hate to think what the meat content of that might be)

OMG just checked

Pork Sausage Patty :
Pork (97%), Salt, Dextrose, Herb and Herb Extract, Glucose Syrup, Spice, Yeast Extract.

Here we come...

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Magisham. Hi GI foods are often only bad when you eat them in isolation, which is also when you tend to eat rather more of them. When eaten in combination with other foods, particularly high fat stuff like sausages, the GI one individual part becomes somewhat meaningless (as it is absorbed much more slowly).

Personally I've found that I tolerate swede (turnips) fairly well when eaten in modest qualities and with other foods. Similarly for other medium carb vegetables like onion, pumpkin, carrot and peas. I never sit down to a meal consisting solely of those things (and quite frankly I wouldn't enjoy it if I did), but added to my other LCHF dishes in modest quantities none of those affect my BG levels too badly.
Had the swede with sausages, fried onions and cabbage the night I gave it to him. I do ofset the GI with fat when I can.

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I did mashed swede for my partner (the diabetic one) as it is very low in calories and was low in carbs according to the book I had on carb values. His blood was right up the next day. Checked the GI index and it was really high, about 75. I didn't understand why if it was low carb. I put a post on here about it and some people said they are okay with it, others said they are not. So I would say to eat your soup and see if you get high bloods after it. You'll know for next time then. As for sausages, I started buying Heck Chicken Italia sausages (£3 for a pack of 10 in Tesco) when we were on a low fat diet as they are only 72 calories for 2 sausages. He seemed okay on them and, although we are now doing a low carb high fat diet (which is working well) I have carried on buying them as we like them. They don't put all the rubbish in that you get in other sausages. I also buy venison sausages sometimes because they are mostly meat. Hope this helps.
I have bought some Heck Chicken Italia sausages today and it says 1gm of carb for 2 sausages, so that's pretty good. We've just had 5 each with cauliflower mashed with grated cheese and black pepper, fried onion, French beans and onion gravy. It was yummy!

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But how can it raise the amount of carbs? Let's say you roast 100 grams of swede and boil the same amount and then compare them, would there be more sugar in the roasted ones and if so, where did it come from?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
We've fond Tsco finest sausages, chipolata 97% meat, nothing much else - yummy.

In terms of veg as I understand it from consuming 3 books in 1 week, the veg grown under ground (turnips, weeds, parsnip, potatoes, carrots) hold starch so makes them a lot higher on the GI scale. Conversely,,those grown above ground (sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, courgettes, beans) are all very low G I and hardly any natural sugar.

want_to_be_well_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How can roasting turnips raise the carb content?
Iam not sure about that. I have been told that roasting sweet potatoe increases the sugar, while steaming them reduces it ! So maybe its a simular mechanim. But do not quote me on it.