Chromium and/or cinnamon Does anyone take these supplements?

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Do any of you take Chromium tablets to help lower your blood sugar levels? Cinnamon tablets too? If so do they help?
Thanks. Beryl

Reactions: 2 people

annscullamus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello berylc, I started cinnamon supplements about 2 weeks ago, and as yet I have no idea if they are lowering the blood sugar. I read somewhere that it takes about 60 days give it take a few for it to help. I will try and get back if I have any significant improvements. My sugars are most often in the 8/9 range, so I have my fingers crossed !

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I find vinegar or mustard do help a little. Cinnamon and chromium did nothing but YMMV

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I find vinegar or mustard do help a little. Cinnamon and chromium did nothing but YMMV

@Kristin251 What does YMMV mean? I used to take both cinnamon and chromium but that was a while back and before I was testing, but I was eating anything and everything then, so have no idea if it really worked.

gbs42

I have been taking cinammon (powder on yoghurt with seeds makes a good dessert) and I think it had some impact but for me the big winner seems to be Chromium - within one week of starting I seem to have dropped 2 points.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I put cinnamon on nearly everything not sure if it does anything, read somewhere that it is good for lowering BG levels.:rolleyes:

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take cinnamon and chromium. Taking them is an act of faith. Unless one lives in a parallel universe where there is two of you - one with and one without the supplement - then it is impossible to tell? Just like taking any medication.

Geoff-O

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Tried Chromium, but started having vivid psychedelic dreams. Had to stop!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've used cinnamon in my cooking and food preparation for well over 40 years as I enjoy the flavour - but it never prevented my glucose levels increasing enough for me to end up well and truly diabetic. :wideyed: The only effects it has on me is that in slightly larger quantities it will often give me nose bleeds. Unfortunately...

Robbity

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I take organic Ceylon cinnamon (2 teaspoons,) together with a range of recommended supplements whilst on my LCHF diet and 2 x 750mg of apple cider vinegar before bed to help ameliorate early morning liver dumps. Both seem to be working, especially controlling the dumps.

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@KevinPotts ok I have to ask how are you taking the cinnamon? I used to love cinnamon sprinkled on Greek Yogurt but find that the yogurt gives me a spike so it is now a no no.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello to all,,,I tried Chromium Picolinate when I was first diagnosed and I had my first feelings of a 'hypo' which was very helpful,,,I felt and understood the symptoms,,,,I am thinking of going back to it as I am not fully convinced the gliclazide is doing me much good,,,,big thinking is going on in my head,,,,,

The gliclazide does not help with the weight and I need to get my weight right down,,as I have to have knee replacement soon-ish,,so I was thinking maybe the chromium picolinate in it's place and stay with the metformin and the victoza,,

The victoza is also meant to help with weight loss,,,keeping me full up for longer,,,but it also slows down my digestive tract and the side effect of that is the need for something to make me go,,,

I cannot take cinnamon it gives my indigestion,,,which is annoying.

The need for the person to be thinking and reacting to help themselves is now more important than ever,,,,especially with the long time it takes to get appointments,,,,and I only go to the doctors when I really have too.

I have been reading more about the effects of statins over a long time,,,,and the outcomes that more people are becoming T2 when on long term statins,,,I was on statins before,,a long time before I was diagnose T2,,,is there something to this,,, so more research to find a replacement for the statins that might be better for me,
After all if actimel can lower the levels in weeks (like it says on the adverts),,then maybe the need for stains might be on the way out,,,,any way ttfn from Karen.

Doda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hiya,
I started taking Organic Ceylon cinnamon powder and chromium ( along with other good quality vitamins) within about 2 weeks of being diagnosed with Type 2...... my blood sugar came down instantly and has remained at an average of 5.6... One of my daughters is also taking the cinnamon and finding it very helpful! But it must be ORGANIC and CEYLON cinnamon powder. I do control my diet very strictly as well.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dear,

I had tried lots of herbs or Ayurvedic Meds or herbs. I found Cinnamon and Fenugreek seeds to be most effective. Fenugreek is more effective than Cinnamon.

Fenugreek lowered fasting level (while taking same level of meds - metformin 500/500/500mg and diamicron 30mg) from 7.2 to 5.8 in about 1 week. During this period, I took about one table spoon of soaked (overnight in water) fenugreek seeds and about 1-1.5 gms of cinnamon stick (typically after lunch).

For fenugreek seeds, soak about table spoon of seeds in water overnight and take it along with water (in which seeds were soaked) in the morning.

I agree with Doda about Ceylon cinnamon, infact try using cinnamon stick initially to acquaint yourself with quality of cinnamon and later may shift to powder.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I've also felt significant benefit from Berberine (1 capsule per day) and organic Tumeric (2 teaspoons) per day.