Due to start pump therapy.... five days to go!

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thank you so much to everyone for your comments! Was anyone given an 'pre pump' advice? Like do I still carry on as normal on Tuesday morning with injecting my levemir etc? Hoping to catch the Nurse at some point today to check too, but not always possible. x
Also, well worth taking a comprehensive carb vs Bolus vs blood glucose diary for a few weeks (if you have it) leading up to the pump start. It'll make it so much easier, and quicker, for the nurse to calculate the correction and carb factors and basal rates for you. I used a simple print out I created in Excel

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    15.8 KB · Views: 249

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Jubblyjo1601 - when I started mine 2 weeks ago I wasn't informed about reducing my Lantus. (They forgot to tell me). It was easily sorted as they put me on a temporary basal with a reduced amount! I was also only advised on the morning to take my insulin (for pump cart) - luckily the prescription was at my GPs! As others have said check with your DSN. Hope all goes well. Keep us updated. Regards

Reactions: 2 people

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, just had a call from my DSN. Tuesday is cancelled as pump not arrived! Feeling bummed! Hopefully not too long to wait.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, just had a call from my DSN. Tuesday is cancelled as pump not arrived! Feeling bummed! Hopefully not too long to wait.

Argh no!! There is still chance for it to come tomorrow though no?

Hope you don't have to wait too long X

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all! Fingers crossed! Trying not to feel too disappointed as I am lucky to be getting one in the first place! #positivethoughts The crazy thing is the supplier (Medtronic) is only about ten miles from me! I feel like going to collect it myself ha ha!

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Found this post after searching MM 640g since i jsut found out today i'm getting one of those too...in two 2 weeks!! Cant wait to hear how you get on with starting out! A bit nervous since i've been dreaming of this for years now and its finally here! Interesting all the comments on what to expect and the book recommendation.
And congrats on the 62 A1C...i have yet to get under 64! Hoping the pump will be able to helpppppp :) Good luck with yours

Reactions: 4 people

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I am jeolous you would think after 50 yrs of MDI and doing a DAFNE, and despite regualar hypos and highs no pump. Had enough

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I am jeolous you would think after 50 yrs of MDI and doing a DAFNE, and despite regualar hypos and highs no pump. Had enough
It seems that you need a good consultant and to advocate yourself. You have to push and push hard if you aren't getting what you want. Glycaemic variability seems to be the latest watchword on making it happen...

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High tax for low returns, judgemental people and shopping
Hi Rich

You have my sympathy. I've had diabetes 25 years and have last week been referred for a pump. The only advice I can give is as the above post, find a good consultant and build a case. My situation if that helps you build a case: I do not fit NICE criteria. I have a hba1c of 5.5 in old money. I am on multi dose injections, I eat whatever I want, I drink booze and have learnt over the years how to correct for that, but last year I grew angry my average was not inline with reality (of daily highs and lows) but my hospital were just happy with what result not the reality.I went to my local hospital and they dismissed my need of a pump (due to NICE and funding) I changed my GP and asked for a referral to a different hospital in a different CCG. I now attend Wythenshawe which I have noticed has a patient first view and not blanket T1 diabetic. I did DAFNE (which I'd never heard of) and have the same hba1c as before but my daily range is now tighter. I bought a LIBRE to do continuous monitoring and used this to document my daily life of unpredictable lows and highs, as I travel a lot for work and eat at irregular intervals and snack, shared this with the DSN that good control doesn't mean an easier life or less worries. She agreed, so gave me some tips and when I met the consultant last week the first thing he said is, I think you tick the nice boxes. So now I have to wait for a pump course(evening) to pick and a further few months (late summer) before I get one but I am looking forward to it. This is a long way of explaining it, but my point is don't get angry, use facts and evidence to support why you need one, can it improve you life, do you get embarrassed injecting in public, do you not change needles because you travel, do you have unpredictable hypos. Make a list and use it. If they say no, find out which hospitals will support you, you can call and speak to them without being a patient and then you are in control of your destiny. Good luck.

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Found this post after searching MM 640g since i jsut found out today i'm getting one of those too...in two 2 weeks!! Cant wait to hear how you get on with starting out! A bit nervous since i've been dreaming of this for years now and its finally here! Interesting all the comments on what to expect and the book recommendation.
And congrats on the 62 A1C...i have yet to get under 64! Hoping the pump will be able to helpppppp :) Good luck with yours

Thanks so much and congrats on getting the pump! You may well have yours before me at this rate due to it still not being delivered to the hospital

Please let me know how you get on! Wishing you all the best.

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Rich!

That's so awful that you haven't got one after all of that I was previously seen in the community and, although I cannot fault their care at all, it seemed I was getting nowhere with getting the pump. It was only when I started working at the hospital and insisted that I was referred to the Endocrinologist there that things started to move along a bit.

I wonder what you can do to get one? I'm sure our friends on here will come up with some useful suggestions and I hope that you can get one soon! Always here if you need a chat.

And just a thought, as soon as they realised I had dawn phenomenon things moved much faster. Maybe a phrase to drop in to your next consultation if you suffer from the dreaded morning highs?

Best wishes,

Jo

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@richyb like @loafhead I had been coping with my diabetes with an ideal HbA1c - but it was at the huge expense of a decent quality of life. I really struggled with my day-to-day existence, but my 'numbers' were always tiptop.

A week today I will have had diabetes for 30 years. I got my pump last October having started the process in July.

And I feel I'm getting a life, now! I wish I'd had it sooner.

:)

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jubblyjo1601 hope you don't have to wait too long! All the best with it!

:)

Thanks so much! I was pretty disappointed when they said I wouldn't be getting it this week, but then I gave myself a slap as I am still going to get it really soon, whilst there are people who are desperate for one. I will definitely share my progress when I do get 'plugged in'!

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks so much! I was pretty disappointed when they said I wouldn't be getting it this week, but then I gave myself a slap as I am still going to get it really soon, whilst there are people who are desperate for one. I will definitely share my progress when I do get 'plugged in'!

Aww no hopefully it will come soon <3

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Hi Rich!

That's so awful that you haven't got one after all of that I was previously seen in the community and, although I cannot fault their care at all, it seemed I was getting nowhere with getting the pump. It was only when I started working at the hospital and insisted that I was referred to the Endocrinologist there that things started to move along a bit.

I wonder what you can do to get one? I'm sure our friends on here will come up with some useful suggestions and I hope that you can get one soon! Always here if you need a chat.

And just a thought, as soon as they realised I had dawn phenomenon things moved much faster. Maybe a phrase to drop in to your next consultation if you suffer from the dreaded morning highs?
many thanks unfortunately yes i did have dawn phenomenon but then found if I inject exactly 25 minutes before my injection( i use a stopwatch) and get up early same time each day this is minimised. Guess my trouble is i try too hard. Quite often though I break down crying when on my own.
My injection sites getting worse again as cannot reach as many due to frozen shoulders

Best wishes,

Jo

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The pump arrived Friday, or course it did! By which time they had cancelled the Medtronic Nurse / Lady. Now heading for next Tuesday so very pleased. And am a few chapters in to 'Pumping Insulin' so thanks so much for the recommendation everyone! I'm already finding it very informative. I will keep you all updated.

Thanks all for the support. I'm glad I have started using this forum again. <3

Reactions: 5 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have you asked for a pump? If they have said no ask for the reasons in writing and discuss with team, if no joy then ask for a transfer to a pump friendly clinic.