1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Due to start pump therapy.... five days to go!

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Jubblyjo1601, Apr 27, 2016.

1. paulliljeros

paulliljeros Other · Well-Known Member

Also, well worth taking a comprehensive carb vs Bolus vs blood glucose diary for a few weeks (if you have it) leading up to the pump start. It'll make it so much easier, and quicker, for the nurse to calculate the correction and carb factors and basal rates for you. I used a simple print out I created in Excel

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Medusa41

Medusa41 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Jubblyjo1601 - when I started mine 2 weeks ago I wasn't informed about reducing my Lantus. (They forgot to tell me). It was easily sorted as they put me on a temporary basal with a reduced amount! I was also only advised on the morning to take my insulin (for pump cart) - luckily the prescription was at my GPs! As others have said check with your DSN. Hope all goes well. Keep us updated. Regards

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jubblyjo1601

Jubblyjo1601 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well, just had a call from my DSN. Tuesday is cancelled as pump not arrived! Feeling bummed! Hopefully not too long to wait.

4. Mrsass

Mrsass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Argh no!! There is still chance for it to come tomorrow though no?

Hope you don't have to wait too long X

5. Medusa41

Medusa41 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh no / hope you'll get a new date ASAP.

6. Jubblyjo1601

Thanks all! Fingers crossed! Trying not to feel too disappointed as I am lucky to be getting one in the first place! #positivethoughts The crazy thing is the supplier (Medtronic) is only about ten miles from me! I feel like going to collect it myself ha ha!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. hboyt

hboyt Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Found this post after searching MM 640g since i jsut found out today i'm getting one of those too...in two 2 weeks!! Cant wait to hear how you get on with starting out! A bit nervous since i've been dreaming of this for years now and its finally here! Interesting all the comments on what to expect and the book recommendation.
    And congrats on the 62 A1C...i have yet to get under 64! Hoping the pump will be able to helpppppp :) Good luck with yours

• Like Like x 4
  8. richyb

richyb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am jeolous you would think after 50 yrs of MDI and doing a DAFNE, and despite regualar hypos and highs no pump. Had enough

9. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

It seems that you need a good consultant and to advocate yourself. You have to push and push hard if you aren't getting what you want. Glycaemic variability seems to be the latest watchword on making it happen...

• Like Like x 4
  10. loafhead

loafhead Type 1 · Active Member

Hi Rich

You have my sympathy. I've had diabetes 25 years and have last week been referred for a pump. The only advice I can give is as the above post, find a good consultant and build a case. My situation if that helps you build a case: I do not fit NICE criteria. I have a hba1c of 5.5 in old money. I am on multi dose injections, I eat whatever I want, I drink booze and have learnt over the years how to correct for that, but last year I grew angry my average was not inline with reality (of daily highs and lows) but my hospital were just happy with what result not the reality.I went to my local hospital and they dismissed my need of a pump (due to NICE and funding) I changed my GP and asked for a referral to a different hospital in a different CCG. I now attend Wythenshawe which I have noticed has a patient first view and not blanket T1 diabetic. I did DAFNE (which I'd never heard of) and have the same hba1c as before but my daily range is now tighter. I bought a LIBRE to do continuous monitoring and used this to document my daily life of unpredictable lows and highs, as I travel a lot for work and eat at irregular intervals and snack, shared this with the DSN that good control doesn't mean an easier life or less worries. She agreed, so gave me some tips and when I met the consultant last week the first thing he said is, I think you tick the nice boxes. So now I have to wait for a pump course(evening) to pick and a further few months (late summer) before I get one but I am looking forward to it. This is a long way of explaining it, but my point is don't get angry, use facts and evidence to support why you need one, can it improve you life, do you get embarrassed injecting in public, do you not change needles because you travel, do you have unpredictable hypos. Make a list and use it. If they say no, find out which hospitals will support you, you can call and speak to them without being a patient and then you are in control of your destiny. Good luck.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Jubblyjo1601

Thanks so much and congrats on getting the pump! You may well have yours before me at this rate due to it still not being delivered to the hospital

Please let me know how you get on! Wishing you all the best.

12. Jubblyjo1601

Hi Rich!

That's so awful that you haven't got one after all of that I was previously seen in the community and, although I cannot fault their care at all, it seemed I was getting nowhere with getting the pump. It was only when I started working at the hospital and insisted that I was referred to the Endocrinologist there that things started to move along a bit.

I wonder what you can do to get one? I'm sure our friends on here will come up with some useful suggestions and I hope that you can get one soon! Always here if you need a chat.

And just a thought, as soon as they realised I had dawn phenomenon things moved much faster. Maybe a phrase to drop in to your next consultation if you suffer from the dreaded morning highs?

Best wishes,

Jo

• Like Like x 2
  13. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@richyb like @loafhead I had been coping with my diabetes with an ideal HbA1c - but it was at the huge expense of a decent quality of life. I really struggled with my day-to-day existence, but my 'numbers' were always tiptop.

A week today I will have had diabetes for 30 years. I got my pump last October having started the process in July.

And I feel I'm getting a life, now! I wish I'd had it sooner.

:)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Jubblyjo1601 hope you don't have to wait too long! All the best with it!

:)

15. Jubblyjo1601

Thanks so much! I was pretty disappointed when they said I wouldn't be getting it this week, but then I gave myself a slap as I am still going to get it really soon, whilst there are people who are desperate for one. I will definitely share my progress when I do get 'plugged in'!

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. Type1Lad

Type1Lad Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Aww no hopefully it will come soon <3

• Like Like x 4
  17. Jubblyjo1601

Thank you!
    Here's hoping! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. richyb

richyb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

19. Jubblyjo1601

The pump arrived Friday, or course it did! By which time they had cancelled the Medtronic Nurse / Lady. Now heading for next Tuesday so very pleased. And am a few chapters in to 'Pumping Insulin' so thanks so much for the recommendation everyone! I'm already finding it very informative. I will keep you all updated.

Thanks all for the support. I'm glad I have started using this forum again. <3

• Like Like x 5
  20. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Have you asked for a pump? If they have said no ask for the reasons in writing and discuss with team, if no joy then ask for a transfer to a pump friendly clinic.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook