Low carb GP practice finalist in BMJ awards this week

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Taken from this weeks British Medical Journal: we are finalists in the diabetes team of the year category!
Beating obesity and diabetes

'The scale of the twin epidemics of obesity and type 2 diabetes is daunting. “Back in 2012 there was a tendency to see it as hopeless,” says David Unwin, senior partner at the Norwood Surgery in Southport. “I think we were a little demoralised. We were particularly concerned about younger patients, who we felt were at the greatest risk of the long term effects of diabetes. So we trialled the idea of a more collaborative approach, identifying patients’ personal health goals and linking them with a low carbohydrate diet.”

A pilot was launched in January 2013 and 68 patients volunteered to join it. The plan involved group work that included family members, underpinned by a positive, solution focused psychological model to improve motivation to adopt a low carbohydrate diet. The first results showed significant reductions in haemoglobin A1c, weight, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels, with several patients coming off medication altogether. So the approach was broadened to the whole practice.

“What has really surprised us is how enthusiastic the patients have been, particularly in joining in with our regular group meetings which include interested family members,” Unwin says. “The other surprise was how well tolerated the low carb diet was. Three years later eight members of the team are on the diet with our patients.”

As a practice Norwood Surgery now spends £45 000 (€57 000; $64 000) a year less on drugs for diabetes than is average in the area. Obesity prevalence dropped from 9.4% to 7.5%, and blood glucose levels have been reduced by 10%.'

Fingers crossed for the ceremony on Thursday night please folks -you helped me start this!!

Reactions: 21 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Really brilliant, fingers and everything else crossed for you and the team!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Best of luck. Thank you for update.
I'll mention such savings to my gp practice. My gp would love that I think. An investment in the future for any practice.

Reactions: 2 people

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And good luck from me, too. So much effort and progress deserves proper recognition :)

Annie86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Fantastic. What a difference that'll make to the surgery cost and overall patient lives. A massive well done and congratulations to the staff aiding with this and the patients undertaking

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Congratulations, thoroughly well deserved! So, how do you increase your influence and capitalise on the BMJ pr catalyst and cascade your strategy out to thousands of fellow GP surgeries?

Last edited by a moderator:

DrTeeth

This is a really inspiring project and result. It just goes to show how ideas can create individual benefit but also the wider benefit to practices, communities and the NHS as a whole. If only the NHS encouraged such innovation. Im a HCP but also a T2 shocked into action by a recent retinopathy exam. Attitude is key. I just got my BG down to reasonable level with moderate effort.
Keep up the good work. Hope you win. Look forward to NHS cascading your good results nationally. ;)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Taken from this weeks British Medical Journal: we are finalists in the diabetes team of the year category!
Beating obesity and diabetes

'The scale of the twin epidemics of obesity and type 2 diabetes is daunting. “Back in 2012 there was a tendency to see it as hopeless,” says David Unwin, senior partner at the Norwood Surgery in Southport. “I think we were a little demoralised. We were particularly concerned about younger patients, who we felt were at the greatest risk of the long term effects of diabetes. So we trialled the idea of a more collaborative approach, identifying patients’ personal health goals and linking them with a low carbohydrate diet.”

A pilot was launched in January 2013 and 68 patients volunteered to join it. The plan involved group work that included family members, underpinned by a positive, solution focused psychological model to improve motivation to adopt a low carbohydrate diet. The first results showed significant reductions in haemoglobin A1c, weight, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels, with several patients coming off medication altogether. So the approach was broadened to the whole practice.

“What has really surprised us is how enthusiastic the patients have been, particularly in joining in with our regular group meetings which include interested family members,” Unwin says. “The other surprise was how well tolerated the low carb diet was. Three years later eight members of the team are on the diet with our patients.”

As a practice Norwood Surgery now spends £45 000 (€57 000; $64 000) a year less on drugs for diabetes than is average in the area. Obesity prevalence dropped from 9.4% to 7.5%, and blood glucose levels have been reduced by 10%.'

Fingers crossed for the ceremony on Thursday night please folks -you helped me start this!!

I think there'll be a lot of fingers crossed for you on Thursday night.

As I said before, I'll be using your nomination (and hopefully award) to reapproach my practise with your concept. My previous attempt was rebuffed as "not for us" by the partners, much to the frustration of the GP I see whose comment was "Well, we certainly can't go on as we are."

Hopefully, further recognition of your excellent work, and for them, more money spent on drugs will have prized open at least one mind.

There's no change more difficult that the prizing open of a sealed mind. That's obviously not something you are personally troubled with. :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very best of luck to you and your team. You are an inspiration and we can all hope that other GP's will follow your lead.
Can we get you elected onto the board of NICE? pretty please..

Reactions: 4 people

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll have everything crossed for you on Thursday. I know it's been said so many times but I wish you were my doctor.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Good luck to you! It is a constant source of relief to have someone from within the medical establishment actually supporting what we have been saying for so long and not in a passive 'if that works for you' type way but in an actual head above the parapet 'this makes sense' way! So thank you once again.

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fantastic I only hope that this makes more GP's think hard about what is the right way to deal with these illnesses. Let's hope that this is a start to teaching HCP's that there is another way apart from NICE Dogma.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you win tomorrow night @Southport GP I will feel compelled to celebrate and may consume some wine despite it being bad for me but I think the occasion warrants it. I love blaming other people.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited by a moderator: