1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low carb GP practice finalist in BMJ awards this week

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Southport GP, May 3, 2016.

1. Southport GP

Southport GP HCP · Well-Known Member
    Verified HCP

Taken from this weeks British Medical Journal: we are finalists in the diabetes team of the year category!
    Beating obesity and diabetes

'The scale of the twin epidemics of obesity and type 2 diabetes is daunting. “Back in 2012 there was a tendency to see it as hopeless,” says David Unwin, senior partner at the Norwood Surgery in Southport. “I think we were a little demoralised. We were particularly concerned about younger patients, who we felt were at the greatest risk of the long term effects of diabetes. So we trialled the idea of a more collaborative approach, identifying patients’ personal health goals and linking them with a low carbohydrate diet.”

A pilot was launched in January 2013 and 68 patients volunteered to join it. The plan involved group work that included family members, underpinned by a positive, solution focused psychological model to improve motivation to adopt a low carbohydrate diet. The first results showed significant reductions in haemoglobin A1c, weight, blood pressure, and cholesterol levels, with several patients coming off medication altogether. So the approach was broadened to the whole practice.

“What has really surprised us is how enthusiastic the patients have been, particularly in joining in with our regular group meetings which include interested family members,” Unwin says. “The other surprise was how well tolerated the low carb diet was. Three years later eight members of the team are on the diet with our patients.”

As a practice Norwood Surgery now spends £45 000 (€57 000; $64 000) a year less on drugs for diabetes than is average in the area. Obesity prevalence dropped from 9.4% to 7.5%, and blood glucose levels have been reduced by 10%.'

Fingers crossed for the ceremony on Thursday night please folks -you helped me start this!!

• Winner Winner x 22
    • Like Like x 21
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Oh that is excellent, and very good luck for the final. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

Really brilliant, fingers and everything else crossed for you and the team!

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Best of luck. Thank you for update.
    I'll mention such savings to my gp practice. My gp would love that I think. An investment in the future for any practice.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Salvia

Salvia Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

And good luck from me, too. So much effort and progress deserves proper recognition :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Brilliant.

Good luck, bring it home.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. msmi1970

msmi1970 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Absolutely Brilliant!!! Congratulations.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Annie86

Annie86 Type 1 · Active Member

Fantastic. What a difference that'll make to the surgery cost and overall patient lives. A massive well done and congratulations to the staff aiding with this and the patients undertaking

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. KevinPotts

KevinPotts Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Congratulations, thoroughly well deserved! So, how do you increase your influence and capitalise on the BMJ pr catalyst and cascade your strategy out to thousands of fellow GP surgeries?

• Like Like x 2
    #9 KevinPotts, May 4, 2016 at 6:21 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2016
  10. NurseDee

NurseDee Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fantastic!! Congrats.

• Like Like x 2
  11. DrTeeth

DrTeeth · Newbie

This is a really inspiring project and result. It just goes to show how ideas can create individual benefit but also the wider benefit to practices, communities and the NHS as a whole. If only the NHS encouraged such innovation. Im a HCP but also a T2 shocked into action by a recent retinopathy exam. Attitude is key. I just got my BG down to reasonable level with moderate effort.
    Keep up the good work. Hope you win. Look forward to NHS cascading your good results nationally. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  12. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I think there'll be a lot of fingers crossed for you on Thursday night.

As I said before, I'll be using your nomination (and hopefully award) to reapproach my practise with your concept. My previous attempt was rebuffed as "not for us" by the partners, much to the frustration of the GP I see whose comment was "Well, we certainly can't go on as we are."

Hopefully, further recognition of your excellent work, and for them, more money spent on drugs will have prized open at least one mind.

There's no change more difficult that the prizing open of a sealed mind. That's obviously not something you are personally troubled with. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Very best of luck to you and your team. You are an inspiration and we can all hope that other GP's will follow your lead.
    Can we get you elected onto the board of NICE? pretty please..

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. carol43

carol43 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I'll have everything crossed for you on Thursday. I know it's been said so many times but I wish you were my doctor.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Dillinger

Dillinger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good luck to you! It is a constant source of relief to have someone from within the medical establishment actually supporting what we have been saying for so long and not in a passive 'if that works for you' type way but in an actual head above the parapet 'this makes sense' way! So thank you once again.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Brilliant - thank you for all your hard work.

Hope @neety41 sees this!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Lindy1706

Lindy1706 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fantastic I only hope that this makes more GP's think hard about what is the right way to deal with these illnesses. Let's hope that this is a start to teaching HCP's that there is another way apart from NICE Dogma.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

Can we get Gary Lineker involved?

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Squire Fulwood

When you win tomorrow night @Southport GP I will feel compelled to celebrate and may consume some wine despite it being bad for me but I think the occasion warrants it. I love blaming other people.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Squire Fulwood

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #20 Squire Fulwood, May 6, 2016 at 6:20 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2016
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook