lloyds pharmacy prescription concerns

jinatki

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For 4 years Lloyds Pharmacy have processed and delivered my repeat prescription. I use NovoRapid flex pen and until recently have had no complaints. However, for the last year my pharmacy have not bought Novorapid pens straight from the manufacturer, but instead have used various wholesale companies known as parallel import/distribution and re-packaging companies. The insulin pens have been bought cheaply from another E.U. country, then imported, re-packaged, and distributed by this third-party across the U.K.. I have received opened, tatty boxes containing individually re-labelled grubby-looking pens! How can the correct storage conditions be ensured and surely there is a huge risk of contamination with the excess transportation, opening of boxes and handling of pens? When questioned the pharmacist told me that these "parallel importers" are used when there is a national shortage of a medicine.Is this true, is there a national shortage of NovoRapid pens or a shortage of cheap NovoRapid pens? I now use a different pharmacy who do use parallel importers when needed, however assures me my pens will not look grubby or come in opened tatty boxes! Time will tell!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sandra curtis

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you reported and lodged an official complaint to Lloyds pharmacy. The head office may not know what the local branch is doing regards the re-packaging company.

Edit to add .. I wonder if others have had this problem regarding their pharmacy using re-packaging companies

Reactions: DavidK59

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have received opened, tatty boxes containing individually re-labelled grubby-looking pens! How can the correct storage conditions be ensured and surely there is a huge risk of contamination with the excess transportation, opening of boxes and handling of pens?

Precisely, I would refuse to accept them in that condition :mad:

You can report defective medicine using the Yellow Card Scheme, you should do so:

https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

Reactions: 2 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
is there a national shortage of NovoRapid pens or a shortage of cheap NovoRapid pens?

I would think one quick phone call to the manufacturer would give the answer...

Customer care
For product related enquiries call Novo Nordisk Medical Information and Customer Care Centre.*

Tel: 0845 600 5055

8.00am to 8.00pm weekdays and Bank Holidays

jinatki

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would think one quick phone call to the manufacturer would give the answer...

Customer care
For product related enquiries call Novo Nordisk Medical Information and Customer Care Centre.*

Tel: 0845 600 5055

8.00am to 8.00pm weekdays and Bank Holidays
thankyou, I will enquire tomorrow and keep all posted

MeirKattan

Precisely, I would refuse to accept them in that condition :mad:

You can report defective medicine using the Yellow Card Scheme, you should do so:

https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

I agree with this comment. Make sure you report it using the Yellow Card Scheme. I run a pharmacy in London and would never accept badly received medicines.

Edited by mod to remove a link

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: noblehead

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am consulted on the condition of various machine which are damaged in transit or are not as described in the ad.
If you get something you are doubtful about, take photos. Send emails and attach the photo or include it in the post, it is surprising what a good photograph can do to get action on such problems.