Fennel seeds - a miracle cure?

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I was discussed diabetes with a guy in the steam room at my gym yesterday - he told me fennel seeds are known to help keep your blood glucose under control? Anyone else ever heard of this - I've searched the forum and no mention.

Maybe an urban myth?

Reactions: 6 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi penfoldAPD, ......you can be the first to test them out......let us know how it goes : cured : maybe.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use fennel seeds quite a lot in my cooking, as well as tumeric and cinnamon and IMHO they don't really attribute to my numbers being lower - as when I have time off during the summer months from curries etc I see no difference in the numbers - but as they are delicious there's no harm in experimenting and seeing if they work for you

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh great, another miracle cure. We needed one of those since we haven't had one for a week or so. I think the last one was to go vegetarian and it all got better. Wake me up when the next one comes along.

Reactions: 9 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will happily be doomed then.

Fennel belongs in the 5th Circle of Hell, with celery, aniseed, liquorice and mass murderers

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm happy to accept that some of these things may well contain beneficial ingredients, and may well be useful supplements to our diets, but miracle cures??? I think I've asked before regarding other miracle cures, however: if fennel seed is another such one, why are we all still diabetics, and why are our numbers steadily increasing? A curious type two would dearly like to know... :wideyed::wideyed:

Robbity

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't saying it was a miracle cure, I just wondered if anyone had heard anything about it. Based on the evidence here I will not be adding it to my daily diet :)

Reactions: 4 people

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Yeah, apparently, big pharma has known about <this miracle cure> for years and is keeping it a secret, they're in cahoots with the whole of medicinal science, the NHS, the illuminati and the lizard overlords.Of course, as everyone knows, diabetes is actually caused by Chemtrails anyway.

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.

cazimbo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I read about this years ago and tried for a time which involved soaking said seeds and drinking the 'tea' horrible and of course it didn't work, best to stick to using in curry.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
So I was discussed diabetes with a guy in the steam room at my gym yesterday - he told me fennel seeds are known to help keep your blood glucose under control? Anyone else ever heard of this - I've searched the forum and no mention.

Maybe an urban myth?
Hi Penfold... :) Fennel seed may well help, along with all sorts of other stuff, but an Indian pal tells me that fennel is wonderful for trapped wind and stomach upsets... I hate the taste when it's not in a curry, but maybe if I ever get trapped wind I'll try it... :)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
So fennel helps you trump....we'll sign me up right now:;

Reactions: 2 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
I don't know if it works - fortunately it's one of a few things I never have to worry about... I think low-carb-high fat stops all that! I am in ketosis most of the time and it's bad breath that is more of a problem really... :) Maybe fennel, mixed with a few other spice seeds would help - like that lovely seedy mix they give you when you leave a good Indian restaurant? I will look up which seeds to use and add a little Stevia instead of coconut sugar... you know, these forum really help make you think!!

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know if it works - fortunately it's one of a few things I never have to worry about... I think low-carb-high fat stops all that! I am in ketosis most of the time and it's bad breath that is more of a problem really... :) Maybe fennel, mixed with a few other spice seeds would help - like that lovely seedy mix they give you when you leave a good Indian restaurant? I will look up which seeds to use and add a little Stevia instead of coconut sugar... you know, these forum really help make you think!!
Fennel seeds soaked in water taste awful!!! I lived abroad for 20 years and we used every spice you can think of, I still do, yet I'm still a diabetic so if fennel ect is so great why am I still a diabetic, In fact majority of people in Iran where I lived are diabetics, and that is a country that lives on spices in all foods and sweet desserts, so I wonder

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi pen fold I don't know about fennel seeds but I have been taking Hemp Oil and it has worked wonders for my bg levels.
Hi, if you have found something that works for you then that is wonderful, carry on using it. However, what gives me pause is the question of whether you are using hemp oil alone for control, or are you using diet, meds etc as it could be any or all of these things giving the desired result. Anyway, congrats on your control :).

D

debrasue

I've heard that fennel, caraway seeds and cinnamon are a good cure for...um...flatulence. Heated in a little whey or soy milk......

MamaWolf

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Was it definitely fennel and not fenugreek? I know and have experience of fenugreek seeds lowering blood sugar dramatically as the ground seeds are available in capsule form for various uses, including increasing breast milk supply. I have had to be VERY careful using it for my 3rd third child as I had GD when pg with him and the hypos I had from taking it when he was in a 6week growth spurt were scary. I stopped using it and my BG evened out. It isn't a miracle cure tho as the effects are only temporary!