JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I had a look at the link but was not to impressed with their assertion that T2 is all down to life style choices and that the people taking part where not chosen by T2 diabetes but that they chose it.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recorded it but haven't watched it yet. I had my doubts about it just because it's on Channel 7 - their "news" is usually of the sensationalist variety. Hardly renowned journalism at work at good old 7.

Reactions: 2 people

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Did not watch it either. Don't really watch channel 7. Agree that Sunday Night is one of the sensationalist variety.

OH did want to watch it as Dr Michael Mosely was one of those involved in the program

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, watched the show and it wasn't as sensationalised as I half expected. It was only part one as they are going to be checking back with the 3 participants over the coming weeks to see how the diets are going.

There were some familiar faces - Dr Gary Fettke, Pete Evans and Michael Mosley.

They selected 3 people who eat truly horrific diets - two obese and one "TOFI". One Tasmanian male is a long term Type 2 who has been in denial and continuing to eat whatever he wants - a carboholic with portion control issues to put it mildly. He is Gary Fettke's patient and being helped by Pete Evans to adopt an LCHF diet.

One NSW female newly diagnosed Type 2 who is being put on a low GI diet by a dietitian based on our version of the food plate. She also has the highest BG reading of the 3. Way too high in carbs for my liking, but considering her current diet any change would be an improvement - she spends the day drinking cup after cup of milky sugary coffee and no food, then binges on cheap and nasty takeaways and all sorts of packaged carbage at night. Plus she's bringing up young daughters on the same horrible food :(

Last guy is West Australian with a recent prediabetes diagnosis. Is a stress/emotional binge eater - chocoholic and carboholic. To all appearances "normal" weight but they did a DEXA scan and his visceral fat is at "danger" level. His doctor is consulting with Michael Mosley and he's going to do the 8 Week Diet.

Stay tuned :)

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for that. Will keep an eye on Sunday Night now.

Did anyone watch Michael Mosely on monday on sbs.
Loved the facts about fat and oils with high heat, then with cooking food stuff. Aldehydes sure show up in all those supposed good oils. Glad that I can continue to cook with good old butter

fene48

Gee, its so nice to see Pete Evans sprouting his expert knowledge. He must have taken another trip into the paleo era as he now states that coconut oil "is full of monosaturated fat". Not the same stuff he is full of.
Lovely to see chefs changing careers and becoming health professionals. Yep - I don't like the guy!!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Gee, its so nice to see Pete Evans sprouting his expert knowledge. He must have taken another trip into the paleo era as he now states that coconut oil "is full of monosaturated fat". Not the same stuff he is full of.
Lovely to see chefs changing careers and becoming health professionals. Yep - I don't like the guy!!

That makes two of us ... a fraud and a dangerous one at that

Reactions: 3 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
My DD gave me a 'heads-up this morning about the above, she said "Watching a really fascinating documentary about type 2 diabetes, they are putting 3 different diets to test which one has the best results"

"Its on a program called Sunday Night......"

I haven't watched it, but have found a link

https://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-night/video/watch/31550088/the-saving-australia-diet/#page1

did you watch it @muzza3 ?
Thanks for the heads up. I will have a look and let you know my thoughts
Cheers

Reactions: 3 people

fene48

I had a look at the link but was not to impressed with their assertion that T2 is all down to life style choices and that the people taking part where not chosen by T2 diabetes but that they chose it.
To be honest, my T2 was caused exclusively by life style choices. I knew it ran in my family, but simply chose to ignore it and stuffed myself with food regardless. It was only after I stopped blaming things and complaining and realized that I had a problem, I owned it as well as the solution. Professor Ron Taylor is probably right that we all have a personal fat tolerance. Exceed it and you are in trouble.
I sure as hell got myself there. AC1 of 9.9 etc. - the good Professor's diet and other stuff got me back to 5.4.
It was all so unnecessary, all the information and means was there. Both to avoid it and to make a pretty good comeback.

Reactions: 2 people

Myangelsmom

Fene, don't beat yourself up too much. I did the same thing (ignored that everyone else had t2... Actually felt a little smug that m SLIGHTLY better diet had prevented me from falling prey to t2... Eatin' humble pie - LC version of course - now.) But my family all chose drugs and injections to treat theirs, not willing to correct their eating. WE are making wiser dietary choices. So look at the wise choice you've made since "waking up" and be proud of yourself... I am! :)

Reactions: 6 people

fene48

Fene, don't beat yourself up too much. I did the same thing (ignored that everyone else had t2... Actually felt a little smug that m SLIGHTLY better diet had prevented me from falling prey to t2... Eatin' humble pie - LC version of course - now.) But my family all chose drugs and injections to treat theirs, not willing to correct their eating. WE are making wiser dietary choices. So look at the wise choice you've made since "waking up" and be proud of yourself... I am! :)
Thanks Myangelsmom, actually I am kind to myself but don't permit self delusions any more. Glad we are on the righteous path and hope we stay there and prosper. Regards FENE.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
To be honest, my T2 was caused exclusively by life style choices. I knew it ran in my family, but simply chose to ignore it and stuffed myself with food regardless. It was only after I stopped blaming things and complaining and realized that I had a problem, I owned it as well as the solution. Professor Ron Taylor is probably right that we all have a personal fat tolerance. Exceed it and you are in trouble.
I sure as hell got myself there. AC1 of 9.9 etc. - the good Professor's diet and other stuff got me back to 5.4.
It was all so unnecessary, all the information and means was there. Both to avoid it and to make a pretty good comeback.
Totally agree could have given exactly the same response right down to the Newcastle Diet and results
Cheers

fene48

Totally agree could have given exactly the same response right down to the Newcastle Diet and results
Cheers
Thanks, I note that you have done pretty impressive things with your weight and your HbA1c. Isn't the depression a real mongrel.
I was and currently am a recovering binge eater and I could not get any traction with it until I went off the tablets - but that's another long story. I hope you have the black dog chained and kenneled.
Wish you the best of luck that those figures will be there for many years.
Greeting from Down Under.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I hope you have the black dog chained and kenneled.
Thanks Fene48
The dog still ducks out and nips at the ankles occasionally but I feel with the weight-loss and BG control I am now able to cop so much better
Cheers