Medical basis for myself being in ketosis.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Robbity, I am fairly sure any T1s and T2s who are medicated should get GP support with monitoring and gradually reducing insulin/meds in view of greater likelihood of hypos on a ketogenic diet. With T1s they also have to be careful of developing ketoacidosis. I am sure those more adept and able will correct me if I'm wrong.

I wasn't suggesting that they shouldn't get their GPs support and approval, and/or adjust their medication appropriately - there's no way that I'd do so, particularly with insulin users, but I believe such approval should also apply to all the more "extreme" diets we eat, not just ketogenic ones.

There are perfectly safe levels recommended for nutritional ketosis (as long as people are sensible and keep to them), and they are very much lower than the point at which we'd need to start being concerned about ketacidosis. See chart:
optimal-ketosis-range-2.jpg

Personally, my levels on a very low carb/ketogenic diet are generally very stable, I believe due to having a continuous supply of fatty fuel for energy, and the only times I've everseen somewhat scary low dips have been this year when I've just changed a Libre sensor, and then slept on it most of the night...:wideyed: My Libre readings usually tend to be berween 0.5 and 1.0 mmol/L below my Contour Next, so I've always been well away from hypo levels.
keto_glicose_levels.png

Robbity

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A very good lecture by Dr Eric Westman at the recent Low Carb Vail conference. He covers a lot of history, but also his own patient results. Amazing slides on the reduction of insulin required in Type 2s by following a LCHF/ketogenic diet:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Indy51... I saw that lecture...a real eye opener.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A very good lecture by Dr Eric Westman at the recent Low Carb Vail conference. He covers a lot of history, but also his own patient results. Amazing slides on the reduction of insulin required in Type 2s by following a LCHF/ketogenic diet:

Just watched that, very interesting thanks....

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Volek and Phinney - either their book The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living or there are a lot of their videos online.

This is a good interview and good explanations of LCHF:

Thanks so much. I am half-way through the book and it is exactly what I was looking for. I already have some shaky basis understanding of nutrition, and this book helps me understanding things a bit better. I also feel better equipped to search through scientific databases, which, by the way, confirm a lot of what is stated in the book!

Reactions: 2 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

i would like to add the presentation on LDL from the same conference. it reaffirms the punchline that for most on LCHF there is a benefit from the High Fat, but not for all.
This is the first time I have seen a presentation that is warts and all, and not pulling punches about the overwhelming success of the diet. There are some question marks that remain, and hopefully the new research put forward will answer them for us.

Reactions: 2 people