Unfortunate tummy problems and fasting..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok first warning if you are eating or are about to please stop here...

So.. went swimming today had a slightly bloated tum.. (just like being on metformin!) came home and about 2 hours after had vomiting and diarrhoea (just like being on metformin). Almost at the same time.. nice...
Now I was intending to start a 7 day liquids only fast tomorrow.. my question to the fasting gurus is.. do you think this is a good or bad idea? I will obviously drink oodles of water to rehydrate but was wondering if as my weight loss has stalled a little it would be a good idea to use the events of this evening as a bit of a jump start.
Any thought and advice welcome..
Regards
Mark

Sorry if it put you off your food... good time to start a fast? haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
'SNAP!' ...I've got similar issues going on..it must be virus or something going around. Though I'm not vomiting..issues are on the other end only. :rolleyes:
My view is...that when ever your tummy is not right...there is no point 'feeding' what ever is causing the issue. In fact..I was always told not to eat that it would go over quicker....providing you are otherwise healthy adult.
What you will need, is to insure you have adequate fluid intake while having 'runs'...AND during fasting too....not only 'just any fluids' but you NEED to take some salty broth/stock to ensure your body is able to bind those fluids and not flushing (literally) them out >>dehydration.
As you were going to do long fasting session when you body is already under stress...I would say, don't make any firm decisions of the length of the time. Do it day by day basis...and as long as you feel ok doing it, you should be fine. You might need even more 'salt intake' that with 'just fasting'..diarrhea will add into that demand. So start your day with 'stiff' stock' and give it some time to do its job before you start drinking any other fluids. It would not hurt to have several 'salty' ones through out day. OR...you can get from pharmacy those sachets that are for these kind of 'runny' times..they have balanced amount of salts, sugar &potassium...dehydration salts they are called..I think!?
Once your tummy settles....I would also recommend taking general multivitamin too...;)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
'SNAP!' ...I've got similar issues going on..it must be virus or something going around. Though I'm not vomiting..issues are on the other end only. :rolleyes:
My view is...that when ever your tummy is not right...there is no point 'feeding' what ever is causing the issue. In fact..I was always told not to eat that it would go over quicker....providing you are otherwise healthy adult.
What you will need, is to insure you have adequate fluid intake while having 'runs'...AND during fasting too....not only 'just any fluids' but you NEED to take some salty broth/stock to ensure your body is able to bind those fluids and not flushing (literally) them out >>dehydration.
As you were going to do long fasting session when you body is already under stress...I would say, don't make any firm decisions of the length of the time. Do it day by day basis...and as long as you feel ok doing it, you should be fine. You might need even more 'salt intake' that with 'just fasting'..diarrhea will add into that demand. So start your day with 'stiff' stock' and give it some time to do its job before you start drinking any other fluids. It would not hurt to have several 'salty' ones through out day. OR...you can get from pharmacy those sachets that are for these kind of 'runny' times..they have balanced amount of salts, sugar &potassium...dehydration salts they are called..I think!?
Once your tummy settles....I would also recommend taking general multivitamin too...;)

Thanks for the tip @Finsky Do you think a daily teaspoon of sea salt will be enough? Just ben reading that maybe that is what is causing my light headedness.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hi BB. Now you may not like the following advice but I think its wise if you have a tum bug and are intending to fast. Make a rehydration solution with the following (please don't faint!)

1 litre of boiled and cooled water. Add 6, yes 6, teaspoons of sugar and a teaspoon of salt. Sip regularly, not all in one go obviously, over a few hours. I know it looks awful, but this is balancing your electrolytes and stopping dehydration. If used during your fast, it will keep your body steady, so you can fast in an optimum state.

Hope this helps x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like good advice and my own little OGTT.. just ate a teaspoon of salt (not especially nice) but so far the 1.5 litres of water has stayed in. Tum a bit rumbly at the moment.. Still a bit wooly headed but that could be more to do with being up about 6 times in the night for water. Beware of school kids in swimming pools is my new mantra...

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the tip @Finsky Do you think a daily teaspoon of sea salt will be enough? Just ben reading that maybe that is what is causing my light headedness.
I think you just got your answer with ladybird's reply...nope, teaspoon is not enough. And I would not take salt on its own..it needs the 'sugar' balance too. Those dehydration sachets that are sold have both...AND...if you look into stock cube info...there is small amount of syrup in them as well. Not enough to cause blood sugar spikes but for that essential 'balance'.
Just to give you idea what commercial mix is made of...http://www.boots.com/en/Dioralyte-Blackcurrent-6-Sachets_6229/ https://www.dioralyte.co.uk/dioralyte-family

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you just got your answer with ladybird's reply...nope, teaspoon is not enough. And I would not take salt on its own..it needs the 'sugar' balance too. Those dehydration sachets that are sold have both...AND...if you look into stock cube info...there is small amount of syrup in them as well. Not enough to cause blood sugar spikes but for that essential 'balance'.
Just to give you idea what commercial mix is made of...http://www.boots.com/en/Dioralyte-Blackcurrent-6-Sachets_6229/ https://www.dioralyte.co.uk/dioralyte-family
Superstars @Finsky and @ladybird64 just going to check out the medicine cabinet now. Much appreciated.
Regards
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Finsky
Did 96 hours until the call of cold sausages in the fridge became too strong..
Just felt that I needed to eat something to finally settle my stomach after being completely empty.
Probably psychosomatic but they tasted great.
Thinking of doing a week a month fasting from next month though..
How are things with you?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only just seen this - Mr B and 4 of his coworkers just had the norovirus.

Joyful.
So there is a lot of it going around.

Interestingly, as he started to eat again after 3 days of forced 'fasting' he was unable to tolerate carbs, but was fine on protein and fat. The old 'dry toast' standard re-entry made him feel terrible, bloated, and passed right through unchanged. Whereas cold chicken and cheese made him feel MUCH better, and seemed to help his recovery.

He also did the broth/chicken soup thing. Chicken soup is a marvel.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Joyful.

Interestingly, as he started to eat again after 3 days of forced 'fasting' he was unable to tolerate carbs, but was fine on protein and fat. The old 'dry toast' standard re-entry made him feel terrible, bloated, and passed right through unchanged. Whereas cold chicken and cheese made him feel MUCH better, and seemed to help his recovery.

Yep I tried a couple of broth type soups.. (well waitrose consommé to be exact) which made me feel more human but only after 2 days of only tea, coffee or water. Its a very nasty thing and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I have a fear of vomiting anyway so specially nasty for me...

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Finsky
Did 96 hours until the call of cold sausages in the fridge became too strong..
Just felt that I needed to eat something to finally settle my stomach after being completely empty.
Probably psychosomatic but they tasted great.
Thinking of doing a week a month fasting from next month though..
How are things with you?
Well...96 hours is good result..considering you having 'runs' as well...well done!
My tummy did eventually settle, though I did have to get some 'runny bum pills'...other wise it would have gone on and on. Thing is that I wasn't feeling sick...I had full appetite and I just couldn't keep off from food for long periods of time to help settle the issues.
Longer term fasting is out of question with me for time being....not only because being very busy and having physically demanding time with work...but my mind is not 'in the zone'...food just tastes **** good after last fasting session..:rolleyes:
Though I'm thinking of trying doing alternative 24hr fasting days with LCHF eating days for extended period (maybe get another 7 days fasting under belt that way!)...to see what that experiment will 'yield'. Even I'm on LCHF diet and do IF as well...it is not yielding much weight loss..hardly any! :banghead: Insulin resistance is playing its games with me..bloods are just about 'acceptable range' with little bit of help from meds, but I'm trying to push their levels even lower..so I NEED to loose little bit more.
Funny thing is...yes, I have lost some weight...not huge amount...but my clothes are dropping off..I nearly had accident with my jeans while shopping!:eek: It is belt that is only keeping them up where they are supposed to be..:D...but I AIN'T gonna buy new clothes just yet or I'll be needing to do it again in few months time. I HATE clothes shopping:mad:

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

Joyful.

Oh fun!:rolleyes: My hubby had lucky escape...he had 1 day with dodgy tummy, suggesting something drastic may happen... and then it was over...we did have constant whiff of bleach going on in the house while I was doing my 'runs'...:rolleyes: Maybe all that bleach did the trick?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I have escaped so far.
Norovirus remains infectious for 2 weeks after symptoms end, and immunity only lasts 6 weeks.
So I still have my fingers firmly crossed.
I have never seen him so ill.
Not fun.