LCHF App?

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone have any experience of an LCHF app? There are a few out there and I'd be grateful for your opinion.

Thanks, muchly!

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, it looks as if it's not worth bothering with, so won't waste my money!

:-D

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Well, it looks as if it's not worth bothering with, so won't waste my money!

:-D
Hi Pink_Minx thought I would respond but as I don't use any apps it is probably of not much assistance. I am doing LCHF (although not fully Hi Fat) and I use myfitnesspal.com the website. It is free of charge and provides a breakdown of carbs, fat and protein as well as a pretty handy food search to record your diet.
Cheers

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Pink_Minx thought I would respond but as I don't use any apps it is probably of not much assistance. I am doing LCHF (although not fully Hi Fat) and I use myfitnesspal.com the website. It is free of charge and provides a breakdown of carbs, fat and protein as well as a pretty handy food search to record your diet.
Cheers

Thanks, muzza3 - yes, I dip into MFP as well. I find that some of the carb counts are a bit wonky, but I agree, it is useful.

Thinking about it, I'm not even sure what I thought an LCHF app might do! Sometimes my fingers type before I've engaged brain!

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
It would be great if you could scan barcodes with it, but that wouldn't be enough unless you did that with everything you put in a recipe AND the exact quantities you used. It would be good at the supermarket, if you scanned each item, it could suggest that you put the high carb stuff back.

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be great if you could scan barcodes with it, but that wouldn't be enough unless you did that with everything you put in a recipe AND the exact quantities you used. It would be good at the supermarket, if you scanned each item, it could suggest that you put the high carb stuff back.

That's a great idea! It's easy to see the traffic light system for fat, salt, sugar etc, which we don't need, but they always seem to tuck the carb content in a fold on the packaging. If it's not tucked away, it's usually tiny writing in a silly colour and then you've got to squint to see if it's per portion or 100g.

Right, how do we make it happen? Is anyone a developer?!

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I use a few apps, but again they are mainly food diary type apps. Carbs and Cals has their own app (I got it for around £3 on the apple app store), there's one called low carb tacker that I have on my phone, but havent use it. My fitness pal is fairly good as they go, and so is the food diary on the argus fitness tracking app. THere are lots out there that perform as food diaries, but to be honest I would recommend looking through the app store and checking out the free apps and deciding ether the app suits you or not, with the exception of the carbs and cals app (which yes you can add new foods to).

Reactions: 2 people

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found most of the apps out there disappointing at best. Usually the way they measure is not the way you do in the real world. I really hate the ones that measure in cups and spoons. 1/2 cup of strawberries can very a lot in grams.

So I made up my own Excel spread sheet (actually it was a google doc). It takes a lot of time and effort to enter new foods in to it and I don't have any "look up" tables for past entries but it does work. I used it to print off for my dietician to show her exactly how much of everything I was using. I also tracked fat, sodium, calories. Basically everything on the nutrition label. Being a google doc I was able to enter info when at home or on my phone or my tablet.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Apps!?...you lot are so posh! I'm doing good old fashioned pen on paper 'app'..one book has written down all 'vital info' for each item I use/buy regularly and on other I tot up things as I eat them. Many times I only have to copy my numbers from previous days..so easy and I just might use few extra calories while thinking hard of all those numbers and poking my finger on calculator! ;) Oh yes..old school, that's me...

Reactions: 2 people