Excellent cholesterol results on LCHF diet

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its just im trying... youd no!! High energy, sharp mental focus etccc... how long you been doing it?

I've been low carb for over 2 years, increased the fats December 2014 to maintain weight, then very low carb with more fats to balance about 9 or 10 months ago. Yes, I feel good and energised. (Not so sure about the sharp mental focus - age comes into play a bit with that. :eek: )

Reactions: 2 people

haza1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been low carb for over 2 years, increased the fats December 2014 to maintain weight, then very low carb with more fats to balance about 9 or 10 months ago. Yes, I feel good and energised. (Not so sure about the sharp mental focus - age comes into play a bit with that. :eek: )
Lol cool ok... did u get 'keto flu'? As jn larthagic, tierd etc? Some days i feel ok but others like death warmed up. I test for ketones and still very low when on a good energy day so im lost... i put out a question earlier see if anyone could help arghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@haza1988 No I don't believe I did get keto flu. I haven't felt lethargic or tired at all. Perhaps you should bump up your thread about ketosis and see if others can help.

haza1988

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@haza1988 No I don't believe I did get keto flu. I haven't felt lethargic or tired at all. Perhaps you should bump up your thread about ketosis and see if others can help.
Thats good news... bump up? New to this malarkey i find it quite difficult using this forum for some reason not like fbook lol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats good news... bump up? New to this malarkey i find it quite difficult using this forum for some reason not like fbook lol

LOL. Post something on it so it bumps it up the list of recent posts, so more people see it!

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Since December I have had to increase my fats vastly in order to avoid further weight loss, having gone under my goal. And I mean vastly increase them. So I was awaiting my 6 month test with interest, and here it is:

Total cholesterol 5.3 down from 5.5
smiley.png

HDL 2.4 up from 2.2
smiley.png

LDL 2.6 down from 3.0
smiley.png

Trigs 0.62 very slightly up from 0.58
sad.png

TC/HDL ratio 2.2 down from 2.5
smiley.png

Non-HDL 2.9 down from 3.3
smiley.png

HbA1c a very small drop from 43 to 42, but at least it's a drop!
Can u telk me what ypu eat please on av3 day. 8 am on high lchf and habe gone from 5.4 to 5.3 in 2 months vut habe not had cholesterol yet and it was v high before. worried about next blood test. It will be lower habc1 but need to lower cholesterol too.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can u telk me what ypu eat please on av3 day. 8 am on high lchf and habe gone from 5.4 to 5.3 in 2 months vut habe not had cholesterol yet and it was v high before. worried about next blood test. It will be lower habc1 but need to lower cholesterol too.

I think you should stick to what you are doing until your next blood test, and if things aren't good then have another think about your diet. What I eat suits my body. It may not suit yours. If it is a while before your next test there is no harm in asking for an interim one. If you explain you are worried about your cholesterol I can't see them refusing you. In the meantime, I have listed some of my foods above in earlier posts.

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I think you should stick to what you are doing until your next blood test, and if things aren't good then have another think about your diet. What I eat suits my body. It may not suit yours. If it is a while before your next test there is no harm in asking for an interim one. If you explain you are worried about your cholesterol I can't see them refusing you. In the meantime, I have listed some of my foods above in earlier posts.
Sorey I went from 6.4 to 5.3. I have lost 10 kilos. It is good and is working re blood sugar. But regarding lowering cholesterol I just need know what kind of protien and fats u eat

mshumph

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Since December I have had to increase my fats vastly in order to avoid further weight loss, having gone under my goal. And I mean vastly increase them. So I was awaiting my 6 month test with interest, and here it is:

smiley.png

HDL 2.4 up from 2.2
smiley.png

LDL 2.6 down from 3.0
smiley.png

sad.png

smiley.png

smiley.png

T

smiley.png

HDL 2.4 up from 2.2
smiley.png

LDL 2.6 down from 3.0
smiley.png

sad.png

smiley.png

smiley.png

I am also having trouble keeping my weight up. Do you know the number of fats you eat daily? I don't eat red meats, it makes my stomach hurt, and I hate chicken.
But I do love salmon and I frequently roast a turkey.
My biggest issue is keeping my carbs at 20. I frequently eat about 40 daily. Still no weight gain but afraid it might affect my A1C. I keep my calories between 2875 and 2000.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
T

I am also having trouble keeping my weight up. Do you know the number of fats you eat daily? I don't eat red meats, it makes my stomach hurt, and I hate chicken.
But I do love salmon and I frequently roast a turkey.
My biggest issue is keeping my carbs at 20. I frequently eat about 40 daily. Still no weight gain but afraid it might affect my A1C. I keep my calories between 2875 and 2000.

I was well past the stage of counting calories. I just introduced cheese, double cream and more eggs to my diet in addition to the other fats I was already eating. This gave me extra protein and extra fats. Must admit I also went back to my glass of red wine every evening (all in the interest of science, you understand ;) ) It really is not easy, and it took me about 2 months to stabilise my weight by trial and error. I eventually got there and have now maintained my weight for over 18 months.

I do eat red meat, plenty of dairy, fry in butter, and eat loads of tinned salmon at lunch times with a small salad and mayo. I have over a dozen eggs a week. I am very low carb these days. Up to 30g a day, most often less. My scales and my meter tell me if I'm doing OK, along with my 6 monthly full blood checks.

Sandybw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am thrilled to read of everyone's success stories but, despite my blood glucose reducing to 45, my cholesterol readings have gone up to over 6. Where am I going wrong? or is it just that, in the words of my diabetic nurse, "something else must be going on". Would appreciate any advice.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am thrilled to read of everyone's success stories but, despite my blood glucose reducing to 45, my cholesterol readings have gone up to over 6. Where am I going wrong? or is it just that, in the words of my diabetic nurse, "something else must be going on". Would appreciate any advice.

Do you eat a lot of saturated fats, or cheese, cream, that sort of thing?

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am thrilled to read of everyone's success stories but, despite my blood glucose reducing to 45, my cholesterol readings have gone up to over 6. Where am I going wrong? .
Maybe nowhere. Check out your HDL, non-HDL and triglycerides before you start worrying. My cholesterol overall is 7.2 but I have way above the "normal" range of the "good" stuff, and considering my sister in law (who lives in Norway) has had a consistent level of 11 for years, is not on statins and is a fairly fit mountain rambler, I'm tending to think we all have our own natural numbers.

lbd

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only

IMHO , in relation to Cholesterol. understanding the breakdown of Cholesterol is Key.
For many Years Doctors have been relying on advice & education on cholesterol which is outdated.
Overall Cholesterol can go up, as with LDL, but that doesnt necessarily mean bad.
Please view this video, it helped me immensely.

Its part of a swag of Videos by Doctors & Health Scientists here
http://www.lowcarbdownunder.com.au/videos/

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your blood glucose going down is far more significant for your future health than your cholesterol going up. Hope you have watched the Ken Sikaris video and it has reassured you. Just keep doing what you are doing and don't worry about cholesterol at all. Get a breakdown of your numbers. It is very likely that your total cholesterol has gone up because your HDL has gone up. High HDL and low Triglicerides are a much better marker for heart health than Total Cholesterol and LDL.