My New Favorite Piece of Gym Equipment = Belly Be Gone Machine?

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was at the gym today and I've been going to this gym for 5 months now and there 's this employee there who has the most wicked abs I've ever seen. No I have no gender bias here but that knowing that visceral fat is what gives us T2 fighters issues, I engaged with Darryl to figure out how to effectively combat my current issue of my belly and the lack of "The Belly be gone" machine.

Ab Crunch Machine.jpg

His response was 3 x 20 sets of light weights on this machine. So 20 crunches straight up. 20 for left obliques then 20 for right obliques then start all over again. He said to use light weights.He said in no time you'll lose a great deal of the belly fat. He told me to take a photo of my abs and compare in 3-4 weeks, he said you'll be amazed.. I don't know if this is BS but I have already lost a great deal of belly fat but with my issues I clearly have still a ways to go..

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I know I'm an older model than you (much), but my belly be gone machine is my body.
I give it the correct fuel and maintain its engine and use it quite regularly for work, walking and relaxing.
I have no need to sustain a high level of punishment to my machine to offload excessive attachments. (Visceral fat).
Unless that is you need to, because you are an athlete.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Belly be gone machines do not fundamentally get rid of fat. It is not possible to spot reduce fat. Fat is reduced by reducing your calorie intake and encouraging your body to burn fat (which is why things like low carb diets are popular and often effective).

This machine will help increase abs muscle mass by targetting the abs only. If you are using the gym, you want to increase muscle mass all over. This will increase your basal metabolic rate and therefore your energy use.

Sorry to shoot the "belly be gone" machine down...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As @tim2000s mentions it's long believed it's not possible to spot remove fat. I recently came across some info that suggests otherwise. Basically, the theory is:

1) Work muscles in the area you wish to spot reduce fat. The idea is to increase blood flow to the muscles under the fat you wish to metabolise.

2) High intensity burst type training with compound moves.

3) 30 mins steady cardio as defined by heart rate.
If this were true I'd have abs of steel and 3mm of body fat on my stomach. Unfortunately, that's not the case (althoug I do have abs of steel) so I really don't believe it, and I've been working on this for months!

Reactions: 2 people

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a touch of tongue in cheek humour in here but having lost 57lbs from my diagnosed weight and a BMI now of less than 24 I am a good deal leaner than 1 year ago. I don't have abs of steel but I've started a collection of photos showing for sure that my midriff has certainly become a good deal leaner. I know I do a great deal of cycling and there's not much fat left around calves or thighs so all that now seems left to work on is the most important part for T2D fighters, that's the fat that is around the organs, of liver and pancreas. Whilst I've been diagnosed with T2 I don't seem to get wild swings in blood sugar readings, yet my neuropathy seems quite severe from what I can gather. I'll have to accept and suppose this is just a work in progress.

As for Darryl's body he does look absolutely amazing around his abdomen. Women die for his 6-pack abs..

DianaRose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Alcohol, walking on stoney ground, cutting the grass,politicians in general!
I go the gym 2 - 3 times a week and although I have not lost too much weight - I did that on the 5:2 diet before I got T2 - I have noticed a definite change of shape. Our trainers are trained in nutrition and have been most helpful re the low carb diet. I do interval training with cardio and feel so much better for it! I am hoping to do a 10K run for Diabetes UK in October so am training for that. I don't suppose that's bad for a young 64 year old. I use all the machines the programme is planned to tone up the whole body and not specific parts so I just carry on. The only downside is my BG spikes after I've been to the gym and takes a while to come back down...oh well. I just wish there was a magic machine that magicked tums away!!

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I go the gym 2 - 3 times a week and although I have not lost too much weight - I did that on the 5:2 diet before I got T2 - I have noticed a definite change of shape. Our trainers are trained in nutrition and have been most helpful re the low carb diet. I do interval training with cardio and feel so much better for it! I am hoping to do a 10K run for Diabetes UK in October so am training for that. I don't suppose that's bad for a young 64 year old. I use all the machines the programme is planned to tone up the whole body and not specific parts so I just carry on. The only downside is my BG spikes after I've been to the gym and takes a while to come back down...oh well. I just wish there was a magic machine that magicked tums away!!

@DianaRose I am doing IF 16/8 so I plan my day out that I eat lunch and then workout directly afterwards to control any spikes in sugar. @ The moment I am seeing FBGs in 6.2 to 6.8 range. I suspect that there could be other stuff going on other than T2D.. I am very serious about exercise and putting in about 8+ hours a week. I am proud of how well I've done weight wise but having seen people become un-diabetic or diabetic-in-remission I am jealous.If I need to lose a few more pounds to get to being un-diabetic so be it . I am ain't fat any more that's for sure.. Good luck on the 10K run..

My coach is 60 now and regularly runs marathons or ultra marathons. He recently ran Rim to Rim on the Grand Canyon http://trailjunkie-phil.blogspot.com/2014/10/my-grand-canyon-run-from-rim-to-rim.html . He's does coaching remotely for clients via Skype too.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The wife's got a treadmill in her office at home ...I don't go In there :nailbiting:

Reactions: 3 people

DianaRose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Alcohol, walking on stoney ground, cutting the grass,politicians in general!
The wife's got a treadmill in her office at home ...I don't go In there :nailbiting:
Coward! I used to have a treadmill and bike at home but found they became useful for storing my ironing basket and other stuff and oh breeding hangers! They had to go now I pay £30 a month to use them elsewhere...what can I say.:)

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice bike and nice beach. Seat looks very high, you must have long legs, what are you 7ft? :)

@Spencer67 No but I could play as a point guard for a basketball team back in the day! Lets just say north of 6ft. BTW that's an old photo but there are nice wheels on it now. Looking at that seat though it may be that the frame is too small for me come to think of it..

Reactions: 2 people

streem26

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Old topic but want to answer :
1. Diet
2. Diet
3. Weight training
4. Cardio (a distant 4th).. find a decent trainer for workout and then have at it.
and then you're ready to start adding muscle you'll need to focus on the first 3 factors.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Old topic but want to answer :
1. Diet
2. Diet
3. Weight training
4. Cardio (a distant 4th).. find a decent trainer for workout http://jonsguide.org/best-treadmill-home/ and then have at it.
and then read more on the https://lisavandore.com/2011/05/16/hierarchy-of-fat-loss-or-the-most-effective-way-to-lose-weight/ When you're ready to start adding muscle you'll need to focus on the first 3 factors.

@streem26

I've learned a great deal whilst losing 58lbs. Whilst exercise in general is good food and food choices are about 80% of the equation. This may sound counterintuitive yet Dr Jason Fung is a big advocate of fasting. He has a massive series of lectures on Youtube and the best part of his blog is linked here www.tinyurl.com/Dr-JasonFung .

What I am doing now is still trying to lose a few more pounds to put my T2DM into remission. My current BMI is 23.9 . I have done a good deal of GVT (German volume training) and cycling. I also have a Schwinn Airdyne in my back yard which I did for 8 x 15 second sprints on before going to bed last night. I woke to a really good controlled number of 109mg/dl

May I strongly suggest that you look at Dr Fung's work as he's about the only mainstream doctor who really makes sense.. I do love my biking and I splurged and got a Cannondale Synapse, that rides like the wind. I look a gazillion times healthier than when I was diagnosed two years ago though too. Just enjoy the change of life. I now eat less food (but healthier food) and I exercise most every day.