Type 1: Need help with choosing my breakfast

TheMiziko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hey guys !
So, I'm currently eating 70g of whole grain graham bread, one boiled egg(60g) and some cottage cheese, usually 50g.
I wanted to try 40g of oatmeal with 250ml of milk, but I'm not sure what's better for my blood sugar, and I don't know any good recipes for low calories, low carb oatmeal, so I wanted to get some opinion from you guys ;) Should I stick to my current breakfast, or try something else ?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try anything you wish to, test for effect using your meter two hours after eating then you can tell us what works.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I experimented with my porridge adding oatbran into it in increasing amounts and some cream until it didn't raise my BG too much. I've heard jumbo oats, instead of finely milled has a lower GI. However, I still prefer my new breakfast goto of Greek yoghurt with raspberries / blueberries and nuts and seeds.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hey guys !
So, I'm currently eating 70g of whole grain graham bread, one boiled egg(60g) and some cottage cheese, usually 50g.
I wanted to try 40g of oatmeal with 250ml of milk, but I'm not sure what's better for my blood sugar, and I don't know any good recipes for low calories, low carb oatmeal, so I wanted to get some opinion from you guys ;) Should I stick to my current breakfast, or try something else ?

I'd try the oatmeal and see how,it goes. If it was me, I'd eat it for a number of days in a row, tweaking things to get the best blood sugar result. I'd make sure I'd counted the carbs correctly, experiment with the timing of my bolus (many people find moving the bolus earlier helps a lot), etc.

There's a thread here about porridge that may be helpful to you.

I eat cereal most days for breakfast (oatmeal occasionally but normally cold cereal) and I have good BS 2 hours after.

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello "TheMiziko".
Just an idea:

"Instant Cinnamon “Oatmeal”
Ingredients

· ½ cup + 2 Tbsp chia seeds
· ½ cup + 2 Tbsp golden flax meal
· ½ cup + 2 Tbsp finely shredded unsweetened coconut
· 1 Tbsp + ¾ tsp ground cinnamon

For one serving of prepared "Oatmeal"
· ½ cup hot water
· 2 Tbsp unsweetened coconut milk
· Sweetener to taste

Instructions
1. Combine the chia seed, golden flax meal, unsweetened coconut, and cinnamon in an airtight container.
2. Scoop out ½ cup of “oatmeal” in a serving bowl and keep the rest stored in the airtight container.
3. Pour ½ cup of water over the “oatmeal” mixture and let sit for 3-5 minutes.
4. Add sweetener (to taste) and 2 Tbsp of single cream into the bowl and stir to combine.
5. Top with fresh berries or toasted coconut

Notes
Net Carb Count*: Instant Cinnamon "Oatmeal": 2.76 net carbs (per prepared serving--yields 4 servings).
Note carb counts are estimated based on the products I used. Check nutrition labels for accurate carb counts and gluten information.

Enjoy!!
Regards
Josephine

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMiziko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And what about boiling my oatmeal with milk ? what is the difference between milk and coconut milk ? and is it better to eat it cold or warm ?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And what about boiling my oatmeal with milk ? what is the difference between milk and coconut milk ? and is it better to eat it cold or warm ?

Coconut milk generally has less carbs, but as long as you count the carbs there's no reason why you can't have normal cow's milk. I find full fat is best but you could try a variety to see what suits you.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Should I stick to my current breakfast, or try something else ?

That's entirely up to you, if your happy with your current breakfast and it produces good postprandial bg results then why change.

Regards to oats, just keep away from the highly processed oats like Readybrek (instant varieties), look for those like Jumbo, Rough-Cut or Irish Oats.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't eaten porridge in a very long time.. (Over 20 years. Or cereal.)
But as a student. I used to use 50/50 milk/water mix on the stove & fluff them oats up. Baby!

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
i like porridge oats but it does send my sugars up. Despite bolus injection 25 mins before. Its as if the carbs as stated on the packet is not correct. I allow 1 unit for slightly watered down demi skimmed milk. I most often have 62grams of bran flakes with 10 grams of unsweetened muesli and a few pumpkin seeds(all by weight. This works out to about 55 carbs including 1 for the milk.
but the same carbs of porridge sends me higher

Browndoff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've eaten exactly the same breakfast for years - Crisped Rice with milk - allowing 40g carbs for the lot - but I find that my BG mid-morning varies hugely with tiny variations in the amount of activity. The point is that your body is not a machine and judging carbs Vs insulin and exercise is NOT an exact science, so don't beat yourself up over minor variations - certainly not over your choice of liquid to make your porridge!