LCHF diet

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is this lchf diet only meant for overweight diabetic patients? What happens if you do not wish to lose any more weight?

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was never meant to be a slimming diet. Once people lost some weight using it other people wishing to lose weight started to use it. It's prime purpose was to control blood sugar levels and any weight loss was a bonus. Thin people have found that if they snack on low GI high calorie food (like nuts) they can prevent weight loss.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is similar to the Atkins Diet, am I right or wrong? Is it sustainable and will the cholesterol go up with the high fat? More more question, will I have to be on it forever to aid in blood sugar control.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Keesha, yes it is similar to Atkins and I've been doing it for 20+ years. I stay under 20 carbs most days all in above ground veggies and a few nuts and seeds.

The type of fat can make a difference. Some of us do see higher CHO with saturated fats and some see no difference. I tend to keep most of my fats monounsaturated. Like avocado, nuts, olive oil, mayo. I do eat red meat in small quantities but I trim the delishous visible fat. I get fat from chicken thighs, tuna, salmon, lamb and beef. I don't gob the fat, I just use normal portions

I like to use the term very low carb, moderate protein and moderate fat.
Atkins is higher in protein than I can process without it turning to bs. Some people can eat lots of protein ( but not normally necessary) and some of us have to moderate it or it will turn to bs.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The only reason why I am afraid of this LCHF diet is because I have a family history of high cholesterol and do not want to get into that problem. Thanks for the link. I shall have to educate myself on this diet. Thanks for the support.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For MANY of us it is the carbs that raise the CHO, not the fat, especially if it's well chosen fat.
Again some do fine with all kinds of fat but if you fear it I would keep saturated and dairy fat low as well as processed seed oils like peanut, sunflower, safflower etc.
use avocado, nuts seeds olive oil and olives as your main fats. Again, you don't need to stuff yourself with fat.
My rule of thumb is VLC, moderate protein and enough fat to satisfy.
Going from a high carb to a higher fat diet many have seen improvement in their CHO and of course their BS.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might find this man interesting. Eating fat does little to your cholesterol level and high cholesterol does not give you heart disease.

"In this groundbreaking book, GP Malcolm Kendrick exposes the truth behind the hype, revealing: high cholesterol levels don’t cause heart disease; a high-fat diet – saturated or otherwise – does not affect blood cholesterol levels; and, the protection provided by statins is so small as to be not worth bothering about for most men and all women."

I got that paragraph from here but he also writes an informative blog.

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/books-by-dr-malcolm-kendrick/the-great-cholesterol-con/

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I followed LC/HF and lost all my excess weight. Once that happened I had to add back a few things I hadn't been eating in order to stop losing weight. This was cheese and cream mainly, and a few extra glasses of red wine. :) I have maintained my slim figure for around 18 months and now follow a VLC/VHF diet with no adverse affects on weight but improved blood sugars. Cholesterol is normal. Triglycerides are excellent. That is just my personal experience. Maintaining or gaining weight is all down to trial and error and isn't as easy as one may think. As well as eating to your meter you also have to eat to your scales.

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You might find this man interesting. Eating fat does little to your cholesterol level and high cholesterol does not give you heart disease.

"In this groundbreaking book, GP Malcolm Kendrick exposes the truth behind the hype, revealing: high cholesterol levels don’t cause heart disease; a high-fat diet – saturated or otherwise – does not affect blood cholesterol levels; and, the protection provided by statins is so small as to be not worth bothering about for most men and all women."

I got that paragraph from here but he also writes an informative blog.

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/books-by-dr-malcolm-kendrick/the-great-cholesterol-con/

It's fair to point out that eating high saturated high fat does a lot to some people's cholesterol, and many certainly don't like pushing cholesterol up regardless.
Many of us find lower cholesterol preferable, and do that by sticking to non saturated fats.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I followed LC/HF and lost all my excess weight. Once that happened I had to add back a few things I hadn't been eating in order to stop losing weight. This was cheese and cream mainly, and a few extra glasses of red wine. :) I have maintained my slim figure for around 18 months and now follow a VLC/VHF diet with no adverse affects on weight but improved blood sugars. Cholesterol is normal. Triglycerides are excellent. That is just my personal experience. Maintaining or gaining weight is all down to trial and error and isn't as easy as one may think. As well as eating to your meter you also have to eat to your scales.

Did you find fat actually made you stop losing weight by itself?
Many have said that 'fat doesn't make you fat', but I have to agree, if I don't count the calories, and overeat the fat, I find I stop losing weight and start gaining it again.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's fair to point out that eating high saturated high fat does a lot to some people's cholesterol, and many certainly don't like pushing cholesterol up regardless.
Many of us find lower cholesterol preferable, and do that by sticking to non saturated fats.

I do lower sat fat too. I do find too much fat will make me gain and I can lose by cutting down. Saturated and dairy fat will pack pounds on but monos like avocado don't. I eat enough fat to satisfy and no more

Reactions: 4 people

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have a question for those people who believe so much in the LCHF diet. Do you have your cholesterol checked annually? What does your doctor tell you when you mention about this diet. If I am not mistaken, doctors are saying it is not sustainable in the long run, and yet there are people who swear by it and it really help with the blood sugars and lose weight too. How amazing is this? I might try it if it really helps with my blood sugar but will only eat non saturated fat like avocados, eggs, nuts, cheese and fish, no bacon or steaks. I cannot swallow that. Right now my doctor said my cholesterol is very good and I don't want it to go the other way.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a question for those people who believe so much in the LCHF diet. Do you have your cholesterol checked annually? What does your doctor tell you when you mention about this diet. If I am not mistaken, doctors are saying it is not sustainable in the long run, and yet there are people who swear by it and it really help with the blood sugars and lose weight too. How amazing is this? I might try it if it really helps with my blood sugar but will only eat non saturated fat like avocados, eggs, nuts, cheese and fish, no bacon or steaks. I cannot swallow that. Right now my doctor said my cholesterol is very good and I don't want it to go the other way.

I'm of the belief that my cholesterol is just as high as my body needs it to be be - it's high because my body is healing. There's been some subtle shifts along the way, slowly coming down. Plus the one ratio that does seem important (triglycerides/HDL) is great. The only reason I even get it tested is because it's part of the protocol the GP's in Australia seem to have to follow. If I had a choice, I wouldn't bother - but the GP does it routinely as part of my other diabetes checks, so I go along to get along. Both GP and cardiologist have given up on trying to convince me to take statins - informed consent in action ;)

I've been reading on cholesterol for years now and am firmly in the "it's a crock" camp - Dr Kendrick, Dr Ravnskov and others have convinced me it's not a huge player in cardiac disease. Plus I'm not that fussed about heart disease to start with. We're all gonna die of something one day and of the many choices, CVD seems like one of the better ways to go. Infinitely preferable to cancer or autoimmune disease in my book. In fact, I'd infinitely prefer going that way to the end stage of the disease I already have (interstitial lung disease) - ugh :eek:'

I find the diet very sustainable - I've been on it for nearly 4 years now. One of the best things about it is that it makes maintaining weight loss much easier - great for someone who has spent a lifetime of yo-yo dieting, gaining and losing the same 20 kgs repeatedly.

Last edited by a moderator:

fene48

I'm of the belief that my cholesterol is just as high as my body needs it to be be - it's high because my body is healing. There's been some subtle shifts along the way, slowly coming down. Plus the one ratio that does seem important (triglycerides/HDL) is great. The only reason I even get it tested is because it's part of the protocol the GP's in Australia seem to have to follow. If I had a choice, I wouldn't bother - but the GP does it routinely as part of my other diabetes checks, so I go along to get along. Both GP and cardiologist have given up on trying to convince me to take statins - informed consent in action ;)

I've been reading on cholesterol for years now and am firmly in the "it's a crock" camp - Dr Kendrick, Dr Ravnskov and others have convinced me it's not a huge player in cardiac disease. Plus I'm not that fussed about heart disease to start with. We're all gonna die of something one day and of the many choices, CVD seems like one of the better ways to go. Infinitely preferable to cancer or autoimmune disease in my book. In fact, I'd infinitely prefer going that way to the end stage of the disease I already have (interstitial lung disease) - ugh :eek:
Truly sorry to hear about your condition and I hope your body will keep healing.
I guess with cholesterol, as with a lot of other opinions/beliefs on this site, it depends on which tree we choose to "cherry pick" from and the orchard concerned. Reminds me of a quote from Malcolm Muggeridge, where the old ******* said:
"My opinion, my conviction gains immensely in strength and sureness the minute a second mind adopts it".
Its
a great site, but methinks we often fall into the trap of being victims of dearly held beliefs (myself included), that will be held and held and..........

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Truly sorry to hear about your condition and I hope your body will keep healing.
I guess with cholesterol, as with a lot of other opinions/beliefs on this site, it depends on which tree we choose to "cherry pick" from and the orchard concerned. Reminds me of a quote from Malcolm Muggeridge, where the old ******* said:
"My opinion, my conviction gains immensely in strength and sureness the minute a second mind adopts it".
Its
a great site, but methinks we often fall into the trap of being victims of dearly held beliefs (myself included), that will be held and held and..........
All part of being human I guess - learning to discriminate and making our own choices on the sources we consider trustworthy. I'm more afraid of 'analysis paralysis' than I am of trusting my own judgement. We would all go crazy if we didn't eventually make up our minds about something. And I guess like minds call to like minds and all forums develop a culture of sorts over time.

If I turn out to be wrong about statins, I've told the GP he can come to my grave and shout "I told you so" :D

fene48

All part of being human I guess - learning to discriminate and making our own choices on the sources we consider trustworthy. I'm more afraid of 'analysis paralysis' than I am of trusting my own judgement. We would all go crazy if we didn't eventually make up our minds about something. And I guess like minds call to like minds and all forums develop a culture of sorts over time.

If I turn out to be wrong about statins, I've told the GP he can come to my grave and shout "I told you so" :D
Well said Amen to that.