Type 2 Life

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting today to realise how much stress affects my BG's. This morning was v stressed by incident at work. Super high BG and hadn't slept overnight. Resolved it at lunchtime - numbers went down, even to the 5s.

So a new rule, no reading work email in the evening - and work on a good work life balance, not easy as a business owner but essential for my health

88772a21d313d763bc302b843183c1ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 4 people

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
Are you booked in for a fasting blood test at gps?
They never said to but I've discussed it with Ron yesterday and that's what I'm going to do.

Reactions: 6 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@PenfoldAPD how long are you giving the no meds trial, til?
I'm a little concerned about your stress and any figures over 7.8mmol/l.
We're you hypoing on metformin?

I'm worried incase you damage yourself, trying to make a point.

We all know you can manage your diabetes very well but if it's making you ill and stressing you out. Its not the right time.
I don't want you suffering a stroke to prove a point. You cannot reverse all of a stroke.
Listen. Have a good think about things at the weekend. Don't make a decision hastily. But I'm concerned about your 8s. 8s are dangerous and should be taken seriously. You don't have to suffer 8s because you have a good med which helps effectively.
Please give it til saturday but unless your 8s become 6s or less, I'd advise go back on metformin. Even if its just one tablet.
I bet your blood presure is up too.

Your health comes first.
There will be a right time for no meds but maybe this week isn't it. ♡♥♡

Reactions: 2 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
They never said to but I've discussed it with Ron yesterday and that's what I'm going to do.
Very wise.
I believe in the uk, if you start a new gp practice, the diabetes dip test is done routinely.
I hope its good news tomorrow.
We could do with some.

PosyPip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@PenfoldAPD I agree with @ickihun, there's no need to go back on meds on the strength of a couple of high readings, but if it's more than a few, then it might be worth reviewing the situation temporarily, I'm on metformin as a protective factor to guard against the side effects of medication. I am now on a quarter of the dose, but with average FBG of 4.9 over the last few weeks, I'm still taking it slowly

Reactions: 6 people

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
&PenfoldAPD is the coming off the meds coincided with Work stress and not having been able to swim? You need a way to get rid of the work stress swimming did that right? Maybe with what is going on at the mo it is not a fair trial of giving up the meds? X

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Lindy1706 what can happen is higher bgs cause higher blood pressure, which manifests itself into stress and sometimes anxiety too. It knocks everything out of kilter. It becomes very difficult to regulate.
It's like a naughty child and if not disciplined or trained, it causes havoc.
Swimming reduces bgs but on an evening too?
Stress causes upsets in your relationship, with everyone. We become touchy and easily upset.
Sound familiar?

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ickihun @Lindy1706 @PosyPip I appreciate your kind words. I know what works for me, so I've slapped myself and back off for my usual 30 minute swim. I can see stress on the horizon later this week but my goal is to deal with it all today so it doesn't become an issue. Will check my BP at the surgery again today. This week has probably been another wake up call as to just how much the stress affects my BG levels - need to deal with that. Also realised just how important my swim is - as enticing as a lie in bed is ... 5:55am and off to the pool works better for my health.

Appreciate it maybe wasn't the best time to stop, but when is - also in a symbolic "off the meds" gesture I returned the pills to the pharmacist ;)

I'm 6.5 this morning which is a better FBG, getting back to LCHF with 30 minutes swim each day and regular monitoring.

Thanks for listening to my moans and ramblings, I'd be lost without the support of this forum :)

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
T
Thinking of you today @tina_marie good luck with your test, better to know either way I think ... sending hugs
Thank you and I'm sure I will be . fine. All the best to everyone on here and a big hug to all those who are suffering in one way or another. X

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Best wishes to you all...there seems to be a real clutch of problematic illnesses at present. Those who I know are in my thoughts for a speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Fbg 6.4 thank god.
I peaked at 10.2 last night. I had excellent bgs all day yesterday but still not happy to reintroduce that middle injection again. Nor bring my evening inj forward.
See if dn can give me a longer lasting insulin @liam1955 . i think that would be beneficial.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
@PenfoldAPD it might take a couple of weeks for your numbers to settle, I know that if I don't exercise or if I eat even one high-carb food my BG levels soar. However, that is only a temporary rise and my BP sits at around 110/60 it's not affected by a temporary rise in BG levels. If your weight and other general health is ok your bg readings would need to be really high over a prolonged period for the risk of diabetic complications to be immediate. Only you can decide what to do, taking all factors into consideration, but I thought I'd give the other side of the story for balance :)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenfoldAPD it might take a couple of weeks for your numbers to settle, I know that if I don't exercise or if I eat even one high-carb food my BG levels soar. However, that is only a temporary rise and my BP sits at around 110/60 it's not affected by a temporary rise in BG levels. If your weight and other general health is ok your bg readings would need to be really high over a prolonged period for the risk of diabetic complications to be immediate. Only you can decide what to do, taking all factors into consideration, but I thought I'd give the other side of the story for balance :)

Appreciate your advice. I need to be patient, and I'm not good at that LOL. Had a great swim today so feeling good - BG gone up a bit post exercise but I know to expect that. Boiled eggs for breakfast then work! Have a great day @13lizanne

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think because @13lizanne has first experience and recently with coming off metformin. She has more relevant advice too.
It's always good to post on the forums rather than too many pms. As not one poster has experienced, everything. Including me. Ha ha
Thanks @13lizanne . It's very important to remember what works for one doesn't work for everyone. We are all different.
Luckily we can get it wrong occasionally. It's when you can admit you've made a mistake and be humble enough to take it on the chin and act. Is the real measure of that person.
Wisdom is needed. Unfortunately some people mistake it for a weakness.
Mind you arrogance in old diabetics can be dangerous too.
Thank god we have each other on here.
A lovely diabetic family. I couldn't ask for more! ;) :) :)