What to do with empty test strip pots?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Hi @KevinPotts

I'm not sure if you appreciate I'm talking about the empty test strip pots, rather than a sharps bin..? Forgive me if I've got that wrong.

As for all the craft options - I'm very jealous that you all have so much glitter in your lives! Clearly I must try harder!

Hahaha:). In just a simple Yorkshireman...on track again now:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I give mine to my granddaughter and she uses them in many weird and wonderful kid ways in her games

hornplayer

I use them to keep a "set" of pills in, in my bag, for those days when I rush out of the house with my breakfast in my hand.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

plumberman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know it's ridiculous, but the test strip pots for my meter are so well-made that I don't want to throw them away when they're empty! I know, I know, don't judge me - I hear how stupid that sounds! :rolleyes: Is there anyone else out there who feels the same?

I can't think of anything particularly clever to do with them, other than storing tiny things and thought I'd throw down the gauntlet to see if there's anyone with imagination out there.

Consider the gauntlet... dropped...go!
we use them at our dolls house and miniatures club, members have made 1/48th gypsy caravans , others have made rockets, and of course wonderful for storing all the beads and things we get from stripped down jewellery we use to make other things. your only limited by your imagination

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, I didn't think I'd get so many suggestions when I started this thread!

I think this thread should have been called:
1001 Uses For Used Test Strip Pots

I like the idea of giving them to children as playthings or donating them to schools. I have a young great nephew at primary school, and a great-niece-in-law and great-nephew-in-law coming up to kindergarten age, all of whom have crafty grannies, so I'll see if they'll take them. A great pity I didn't see this suggestion sooner as I'vs just thrown a big batch out because I felt I'd got too many already saved for my future bead and glitter, etc, use.

Hi @KevinPotts
As for all the craft options - I'm very jealous that you all have so much glitter in your lives! Clearly I must try harder!

Maybe here's another new use for our pots then - decorate and fill them with glitter, beads, gilding flakes, tiny feathers, shells, or other little treasures and then send them to @Pink_Minx to bright up her dull glitterless life?

Robbity
Who when in crafty mode generally ends up with everything and everywhere covered in glitter including herself and the dogs...:p:p And once it's on, it's blooming hard to get off again!

Reactions: 6 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Mine just go in the recycle bin...sorry:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this thread should have been called:
1001 Uses For Used Test Strip Pots

I like the idea of giving them to children as playthings or donating them to schools. I have a young great nephew at primary school, and a great-niece-in-law and great-nephew-in-law coming up to kindergarten age, all of whom have crafty grannies, so I'll see if they'll take them. A great pity I didn't see this suggestion sooner as I'vs just thrown a big batch out because I felt I'd got too many already saved for my future bead and glitter, etc, use.

Maybe here's another new use for our pots then - decorate and fill them with glitter, beads, gilding flakes, tiny feathers, shells, or other little treasures and then send them to @Pink_Minx to bright up her dull glitterless life?

Robbity
Who when in crafty mode generally ends up with everything and everywhere covered in glitter including herself and the dogs...:p:p And once it's on, it's blooming hard to get off again!

Ahem, "dull"? You should see my nail varnish collection!

As for getting covered in stuff - you should see my husband eating chocolate. More goes on the sofa and his jeans than in his mouth! Mind boggles!

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to say that I'm very jealous of some of you - your pots seem to be a good bit bigger than mine! I use AgaMatrix WaveSense Jazz test strips and the pots are too tiny for a lot of the suggestions. Can't believe I've got pot envy!
Me too! When I swapped from an elderly CareSens to a Freestyle Freedom Lite I thought at first that the miniscule pots were just a sample size, but in fact that's the regular size - so small that nobody over the age of 8 can get a finger in to extract a strip, so I have to tip out all the strips every time to use one. This makes them too small for most practical purposes other than collecting old strips.

Kate

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me too! When I swapped from an elderly CareSens to a Freestyle Freedom Lite I thought at first that the miniscule pots were just a sample size, but in fact that's the regular size - so small that nobody over the age of 8 can get a finger in to extract a strip, so I have to tip out all the strips every time to use one. This makes them too small for most practical purposes other than collecting old strips.

Kate

They'd be great for skeins of embroidery thread (something I tested out on mine, which are larger, yesterday) or perhaps storing ribbons (yes I have a 'few' (ahem) in my sewing box) as both get all over the place. Or perhaps glitter as someone else has suggested. None of those uses require the pot to be very big.... Even small pots could be put to use in art and craft. Perhaps even watercolorists could use them to store washes in (wash is the paint in it watered form as opposed to the concentrated form their bought).

Ooh now I'm wishing I had more empty pots as the potential uses are endless and I've not been testing for overly long.

Reactions: 2 people

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Mine is boring, I just use them for old testing strips and lancets, then throw the whole thing into the bin. A pill box idea is good, but now I'm off meds I don't need one :)

Lori Matthews

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I know it's ridiculous, but the test strip pots for my meter are so well-made that I don't want to throw them away when they're empty! I know, I know, don't judge me - I hear how stupid that sounds! :rolleyes: Is there anyone else out there who feels the same?

I can't think of anything particularly clever to do with them, other than storing tiny things and thought I'd throw down the gauntlet to see if there's anyone with imagination out there.

Consider the gauntlet... dropped...go!
Hi, I'm diabetic on insulin and use glucose tablets from time to time, even when swimming/boating/exercise I might need one.
I discovered that sugar tablets would fit perfectly in empty 'pots' ( I use the ReliOn Prime test strips, Walmart) AND those pots are waterproof! Glad to hear others out there are resourceful!