Heaven Or Hell?....my FIRST 4 Day Fast

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
So I started it at 7pm last night (Monday 12 June 2016)....so far so good, but that's to be expected as I've been doing a weekly 42 hour fast for the past 8 weeks:).

So let me define what I mean by Fast: NO food, lots of drinks (caf and decaf), coffee, green tea, water, Bovril.

Doc has asked me to have a go sa I am fully Keto adapted having been at or close to a 20g per day LCHF diet for 8 weeks. I have 4 more weeks to go to complete my first 12 weeks before review and my second HbA1C and although as you will see from my signature all my currently testable metabolic markers have come into line, I am still about 5kg off what he thinks is my Personal Fat Threshold. Currently 75kg, aiming for 70kg (11 stone)....I won't drop 5kg in 4 weeks....if I drop .3 -.5kg per week we will both be happy:)

To be honest I am far from convinced I can do this...but I do accept the premise that my body has fat stores of 40,000 Cals and as I am ketone adapted, my body should easily be able to consume the 11,000 Cals without too many problems and should certainly not go into starvation mode unlike if I was consuming glucose as fuel.

We shall see:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish you the very best of luck @KevinPotts but pretty sure I couldn't do it. Don't you get hunger pains? Or the grumps through lack of food ...?

@bulkbiker is an expert on fasting though and swears by it. See you on the other side - I won't mention the good low carb foods this week :)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I wish you the very best of luck @KevinPotts but pretty sure I couldn't do it. Don't you get hunger pains? Or the grumps through lack of food ...?

@bulkbiker is an expert on fasting though and swears by it. See you on the other side - I won't mention the good low carb foods this week :)

Good...if you mention them, it will kill me (figuratively speaking)....haha:)

And in answer to your question...I've no idea, I know I find 42 hours straightforward...I guess it's this fat fuel adaptation.

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Forgot to say my first morning fasting FBG is 5.3.... Will be interesting to see if it tracks down over the next 4 days:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am curious... how on earth does your doc predict where your personal fat threshold lies?

Has he scanned your abdomen repeatedly to observe/calculate the amount of visceral fat and the rate of decrease of visceral fat, and extrapolated that into how much subcutaneous fat you need to lose? Or is he going by progressive blood tests on liver function?

Cos if he has found a way to predict PFTs then I am sure Professor Taylor (and the rest of the medical establishment) would be delighted to hear!

Sorry Kevin, I know that your doc is A Good 'Un. I just don't feel predicting where your PFT lies is a helpful move. It can be nothing but speculation, and when he seems to be actively pushing you into rapid weight loss in an attempt to manipulate a marker.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am curious... how on earth does your doc predict where your personal fat threshold lies?

Has he scanned your abdomen repeatedly to observe/calculate the amount of visceral fat and the rate of decrease of visceral fat, and extrapolated that into how much subcutaneous fat you need to lose? Or is he going by progressive blood tests on liver function?

Cos if he has found a way to predict PFTs then I am sure Professor Taylor (and the rest of the medical establishment) would be delighted to hear!

Sorry Kevin, I know that your doc is A Good 'Un. I just don't feel predicting where your PFT lies is a helpful move. It can be nothing but speculation, and when he seems to be actively pushing you into rapid weight loss in an attempt to manipulate a marker.

Yep sent me to the hospital and as part of heart checks had some visceral fat scans. It's still a best guess based loosely on BMI also as I am typical build in the BMI scale. Now a BMI of 22.8:) he's careful to say it's a range, by which I take it as his best guess:)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @KevinPotts
Far from being an expert but I have done a few fasts in the past. I find that if you start with the mindset that you can do it then you probably will. I did a 4 day one after a bout of Norovirus because I had decided before being ill that I would..One thing I have found useful is when I get a few pangs is have a mouthful of double cream.. just takes the edge off. You have already lost some weight and have done a few fasts so you should be fine just watch out for the dip at the 48 hour mark where you might feel like ****. I'm in the middle of "The Obesity Code" by Jason Fung at the moment but haven't got to the bit on fasting yet sorry. Anyway all the best for your fast, I also carried on with exercise and life as usual so you shouldn't have any problems there either. If you need a boost drop us a line and we can help as you're trying this for all of us really. Carry on the reporting.
Regards
Mark

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Best of luck Kevin, getting past the hunger temptations was my first hurdle but they dissipated when I smelled the hospital food! I did eighty hours in total in hospital and only sips of water or ice to get by with!
I now only do intermittent fasting now as to busy to do longer ones.
If you have the will, you have the way!

The results will be interesting, do post your readings.

Best wishes.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @KevinPotts
Far from being an expert but I have done a few fasts in the past. I find that if you start with the mindset that you can do it then you probably will. I did a 4 day one after a bout of Norovirus because I had decided before being ill that I would..One thing I have found useful is when I get a few pangs is have a mouthful of double cream.. just takes the edge off. You have already lost some weight and have done a few fasts so you should be fine just watch out for the dip at the 48 hour mark where you might feel like ****. I'm in the middle of "The Obesity Code" by Jason Fung at the moment but haven't got to the bit on fasting yet sorry. Anyway all the best for your fast, I also carried on with exercise and life as usual so you shouldn't have any problems there either. If you need a boost drop us a line and we can help as you're trying this for all of us really. Carry on the reporting.
Regards
Mark

Thanks for your detailed post Mark... So far so good...ill watch out for that 48 hour potential blip.

I've read quite a lot of Fung's material... hid 7 day fast is incredible. Beyond me at present, but you never know:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hope it's going well, @KevinPotts !

:)

It's going great so far Snapsy:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Best of luck Kevin, getting past the hunger temptations was my first hurdle but they dissipated when I smelled the hospital food! I did eighty hours in total in hospital and only sips of water or ice to get by with!
I now only do intermittent fasting now as to busy to do longer ones.
If you have the will, you have the way!

The results will be interesting, do post your readings.

Best wishes.

Thanks Nosher... Just about to do another reading and I'll post it :) I was 5.3 first thing.... Done full cardio, run a mile and full resistance training this morning..will be interesting:)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your detailed post Mark... So far so good...ill watch out for that 48 hour potential blip.

I've read quite a lot of Fung's material... hid 7 day fast is incredible. Beyond me at present, but you never know:)

Kevin
With the progress you have made in such a short time I think that very little is beyond you..

Reactions: 4 people

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Wow, could not do that, maximum respect to you for sticking it out so far. I get real actual pain if I even skip a meal.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
OK... The scores on the doors at 24 hours:

10 hours 5.3 - BP 116/68, BPM 66

24 hours 4.8 - BP 119/66, BPM 68

Today I did everything as normal ran a 9 minute mile, cardio (gym), 45 mins resistance (gym), 3 ltrs of fluid; water, strong coffee (with cream first thing then black decaf all day).

Feeling good...roll on FBG tomorrow morning:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My only concern (and I accept that other ppl may never have this issue), is that I have problems getting to sleep when hungry.
It is a cyclical little process where I notice I am hungry, worrit about going to sleep, get stressed, focus on the hunger, worrit I won't sleep, get stressed...

I can keep myself awake for hours like this - all the while fully aware that it is probably all in my head.

So I think the biggest barrier for me, as I gradually increase fasting times, is getting past that bedtime hunger.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK... The scores on the doors at 24 hours:

Today I did everything as normal ran a 9 minute mile, cardio (gym), 45 mins resistance (gym), 3 ltrs of fluid; water, strong coffee (with cream first thing then black decaf all day).

Feeling good...roll on FBG tomorrow morning:)

Keep it up you're doing well..

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
2nd day morning numbers:

35 hours (6AM) 5.3 - BP 116/67, BPM 62

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30". Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2nd day morning numbers:

35 hours (6AM) 5.3 - BP 116/67, BPM 62

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30". Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

How are you feeling?