Freestyle Libre Re-think...

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So decided to use my second Libre sensor after a not so fantastic experience with the first one. I have to say that this experience has been a lot better coming to the 14th and last day of the sensor.

I was quick to give the Libre a bad rap after my first shot being a bit underwhelming and unimpressive. I was a bit presumptive on forming my opinion of the Libre after only trying one sensor. So have to apologise for that:)

I have been a T1D now for 26 months and have now noticed my 'honeymoon period' is well over; after finding BGL management quite difficult over the past 3 months or so. The result of this has been morning highs carrying through to well past lunch time. Increasing my background insulin just seemed to make no difference.

With thanks to the Libre, I have now seen with the trends that my morning/lunchtime highs are not due to inadequate amounts of background insulin, but too much! Looks like the morning/early afternoon highs are due to night-time hypos and that dreaded rebound effect...

So as of now I'm reducing my background insulin (quite substantially) to try and get less of a dip during sleep to keep me above the 4mmol/L mark all night. I think I should manage to get this sorted out in a month of usage and will therefore be worth every penny.

For those considering, give it a go! But if you do, be sure to buy two sensors to give it a good 4 week trial rather than dismiss it immediately as I did after my sensor got pulled off at a rock concert at day 9...

Just my tuppence worth:)

Grant

Reactions: SpikyMike

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is very good news - glad it has proved useful. :)

I've been using it (off and on) for about 6 months, and find I'm still learning new things. At the mo, it is giving me a vastly improved understanding of my insulin resistance, and how to manipulate it, using intermittent fasting - and I can't imagine how that would be possible without the Libre.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that's the beauty of the system, the fact that you can throw in a sensor when you're having difficulties (like I'm finding just now). I imagine that the wealth of data gained by the Libre system and the way it's fantastically presented in trends, graphs, etc can give the diabetes teams a real insight into how you are actually dealing with your condition.

Come the time they eventually roll out the LibreLink smartphone app it will mean that we can leave the small rucksack full of paraphernalia that most of us carry around every single day, at home:)

Last edited by a moderator:

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
LibreLink smartphone app
Have you seen the Glimp app? It can read Libre sensors using an NFC compatible Android phone, plus if you input actual blood readings, will calibrate the Libre. Glimp S can start the sensor without using the Libre reader.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think that's the beauty of the system, the fact that you can throw in a sensor when you're having difficulties (like I'm finding just now). I imagine that the wealth of data gained by the Libre system and the way it's fantastically presented in trends, graphs, etc can give the diabetes teams a real insight into how you are actually dealing with your condition.

Come the time they eventually roll out the LibreLink smartphone app it will mean that we can leave the small rucksack full of paraphernalia that most of us carry around every single day, at home:)
We are closer to this than you can possibly imagine! :watching: And it will load all the data directly to Diasend. No more need for plugging the reader in.

I'm wondering if Abbott are about to offer the app for a fiver in the app store to newbies so that you can get on board the programme for £55.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope so :D

Well I actually phoned Abbott yesterday for information regarding when in 2016 the mobile application will become available. They weren't able to give me a date however... Last I heard it was being trialed in a few European countries (Sweden for one).

Unfortunately again I think this is a money issue. With the Freestyle Libre being unable to keep up with demand until fairly recently, combined with interest in the product being so high. I'd imagine that they'll be wanting to maximise profits by holding off on the mobile phone app release date to sell more of their £57.95 readers!

I'd say the vast majority of Libre users will have smartphones with larger on board memory and better general capabilities than the reader anyhow. This combined with the ability to carry less devices around would make the reader instantly obsolete for most people.

I'd happily pay the £57.95 for the mobile phone app instead! But a fiver would be amazing :L

Off topic, how long are you finding it takes a new sensor to calm down?

Cheers,
Grant

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you seen the Glimp app? It can read Libre sensors using an NFC compatible Android phone, plus if you input actual blood readings, will calibrate the Libre. Glimp S can start the sensor without using the Libre reader.
I have tried the glimp app but for some reason with my new S7 there were some conflicts between the daft Samsung Health app and Glimp itself. I'll need to have a play around and try and stop the Samsung bloat ware interfering. Unfortunately there's no way to get rid of it without getting root access on my phone - and it's still under warranty

Once a sensor has been started with the Libre reader, is it possible to use the glimp app? Tbh I do like how clear and well presented the Libre software reports are. How does Glimp compare?

Cheers,
Grant

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Librelink.com suggests the apk is free, but not for the UK yet.

Not that I would encourage such things, but I spoke to someone last weekend who got a copy via Facebook (not sure what group though).

iHs

Some hospital clinics are trialing the Libre cursity of Abbot supplying the reader and 1 sensor foc on certain conditions being met so there's no harm in try before you buy.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Librelink.com suggests the apk is free, but not for the UK yet.

Not that I would encourage such things, but I spoke to someone last weekend who got a copy via Facebook (not sure what group though).
Might be worth trying to find out for us:)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some hospital clinics are trialing the Libre cursity of Abbot supplying the reader and 1 sensor foc on certain conditions being met so there's no harm in try before you buy.
My clinic also received a big box of sensors when I was last in. Already forked out for the starter kit though. My main goal here is to somehow have a go with their mobile phone app as I reckon it would be awesome!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Believe me, although I can't disclose how I know, it's much closer than most people realise.
I see what you mean ;) I guess we'll just need to wait for the software to be released.

Last edited by a moderator:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@GrantGam1337 I don't see how having the librelink app on your phone will stop you from having to have a bag full of diabetes paraphernalia?

You still need to have a device that can test your blood especially if you drive in the UK - which the Libre reader does.

:cool:

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@GrantGam1337 I don't see how having the librelink app on your phone will stop you from having to have a bag full of diabetes paraphernalia?

You still need to have a device that can test your blood especially if you drive in the UK - which the Libre reader does.

Will certainly stop me when I'm out and about in general. I only drive for social and pleasure as I don't commute to work. So typically, it would mean carrying less for me.

And I can take the Dario with me for times where I'll need to satisfy the requirements of the DSA and DVLA.

DON'T RAIN ON MY PARADE

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

whilst I know it's not the recommended approach, I tend to take my pump if I'm travelling light. It's got the CGM on it, which is good enough and my insulin. Driving is different, but then 95% of the time I'm using public transport, so yes, I travel light!

As an aside, if you are using the Libre, having the app on your phone is one less thing to carry, and if you are happy to dose from the scan (which, if we're honest, the majority of people are) and don't drive, then it's fine.

Reactions: 2 people

AnandaUK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have the LibreLink app on my phone. I got it from apkpure. So much better than having to carry extra devices. I always have my phone with me anyway (it's pretty much attached to my hand) .

Sent from my SM-N910F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just finished my second sensor, first one used in April. Bit more disappointed. First one read consistently 0.5 below my finger prick readings, which was fine as made a simple calculation to adjust.

Second one read about 0.4 above blood at low readings, but variable 0.5 - 2.0 above at higher readings............so I had to still do a lot of blood tests.

I have found it no good for absolute values (frustrating as I am trying hard to stay below 7.7 even post-prandial). But is brilliant for detecting trends/patterns, so I'm sure I won't be able to resist slapping another sensor on soon!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a similar experience with my first sensor. Pretty inaccurate and disappointing.

Don't give up on it though, maybe try using the other arm in a slightly different place maybe? Although it's not perfect, the pros well out do the cons. And as you said, the trends are so handy - especially with adjusting background insulins.

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't seem to be many other people using it, like me, who are not on insulin. I can imagine that if you are on insulin, it will become indispensable pretty quickly.