The U.K. Are Getting New Food Guidelines Next Month!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Woooo... Yep the headlines informed me first thing this morning, so unless some media channel/reporter is misbehaving.... which would not surprise me....potatoes and starchy veg are being moved off the bottom rung within the "stuff your face with carbs" category and moved up to a "moderate only please":)

So, at least there seems to be a scintilla of progress inching us forward:)

Did anybody else pick up this media piece or was I dreaming?

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

Reactions: 2 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I will believe it when I see it! lol

Me too...haha:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 25g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At a recent Diabetes UK (not to be mistaken for DCUK) presentation, by a Dietician, she outlines the changes, including the tweak from:

Eat Well Plate
Eatwell_plate.gif

to

Eat Well Guide.
Eatwell_guide_2016_FINAL_MAR-16%20update.jpg

I'm sure there will be many images in all sorts. These were just the first couple that would copy well. The Eat Well Plate has already been archived by the NHS.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
At a recent Diabetes UK (not to be mistaken for DCUK) presentation, by a Dietician, she outlines the changes, including the tweak from:

Eat Well Plate
Eatwell_plate.gif

to

Eat Well Guide.
Eatwell_guide_2016_FINAL_MAR-16%20update.jpg

I'm sure there will be many images in all sorts. These were just the first couple that would copy well. The Eat Well Plate has already been archived by the NHS.

Thanks a lot for this. When you see the pics and realise you're having to scrutinise quite carefully to find the differences... Me thinks... Incremental... But that's fine:)

hornplayer

Oh that's ridiculous! I may be on my own here, but I firmly believe that the so called healthy eating guide lines handed down over the last 60 years are a massive contributing factor to the rise in T2. It also makes me furious that the NHS and Diabetes UK seem to be ignoring anyone not on insulin. - I know - because I've tried it, that I for one would have no hope of keeping my blood sugar down following that sort of "healthy eating" plan. I was raise believing that high fibre, low fat was the only way to eat. Then we had good carbs and bad carbs, but still low fat, - I ate fat free as much as I could, for years, and I like most of my family, am now T2.
I think that Diabetes Uk (the blue one!) should just rename itself Diabetes T1 Uk, and have done with it. - Some one said a while back, that they went to one of the garden party type things they hold and there were jam and scones etc. Not one thing that someone avoiding carbs could eat. I don't call that inclusive, and yet they still claim to speak for all.

If they, the powers that be, really want to make a difference to people's health, they should throw the plate out and start again. But of course, they won't do that because that would mean admitting that all the refined, over "developed" foods that have found their way into our "healthy" diets - and I'm including cereals and grains in that as well as all things made fat free, are contributing to today's problems. The potential law suits would astounding.

Sorry. I'm sure someone will shout at me, but it just makes me so cross. Rant over.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 7 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh that's ridiculous! I may be on my own here, but I firmly believe that the so called healthy eating guide lines handed down over the last 60 years are a massive contributing factor to the rise in T2. It also makes me furious that the NHS and Diabetes UK seem to be ignoring anyone not on insulin. - I know - because I've tried it, that I for one would have no hope of keeping my blood sugar down following that sort of "healthy eating" plan. I was raise believing that high fibre, low fat was the only way to eat. Then we had good carbs and bad carbs, but still low fat, - I ate fat free as much as I could, for years, and I like most of my family, am now T2.
I think that Diabetes Uk (the blue one!) should just rename itself Diabetes T1 Uk, and have done with it. - Some one said a while back, that they went to one of the garden party type things they hold and there were jam and scones etc. Not one thing that someone avoiding carbs could eat. I don't call that inclusive, and yet they still claim to speak for all.

If they, the powers that be, really want to make a difference to people's health, they should throw the plate out and start again. But of course, they won't do that because that would mean admitting that all the refined, over "developed" foods that have found their way into our "healthy" diets - and I'm including cereals and grains in that as well as all things made fat free, are contributing to today's problems. The potential law suits would astounding.

Sorry. I'm sure someone will shout at me, but it just makes me so cross. Rant over.

I won't be shouting you down...you're spot on and get my vote:)

DIAGNOSED: 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

UPDATE: 16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I won't be shouting you down...you're spot on and get my vote:)

DIAGNOSED: 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

UPDATE: 16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Mine too!

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Could someone plz tell me of there average meals a day cause I'm single and I'm running out of recipes to do plus I'm a first time cooker lol

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I've found the 'eat well guide' on the gov website.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...nt_data/file/528200/Eatwell_guide_booklet.pdf

However having read through the advice given the improvements are minute and quite frankly do not go far enough. They're still wedded to low fat and basing meals on things such as potatoes rather than on the protein . For a start it is better than the previous advice, but still needs a LOT of improvements. Personally the carbs need to go in the purple sliver, protein in the yellow sliver and then fats in the pink sliver (keeping the sliver sizes as given.

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I was looking at this earlier on, and although is a much better one, there is still a long way to go even with that. However if you're going o follow one this is the better one to follow....
I like the way a Lidl roll fits perfectly on to the grains section of that plate!

Reactions: 6 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh that's ridiculous! I may be on my own here, but I firmly believe that the so called healthy eating guide lines handed down over the last 60 years are a massive contributing factor to the rise in T2. ...

Why in earth do you think you're alone in believing that! Just have a read of the Low Carb area of the forum and you'll find you're in (very) good company here. :p

Robbity

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woooo... Yep the headlines informed me first thing this morning, so unless some media channel/reporter is misbehaving.... which would not surprise me....potatoes and starchy veg are being moved off the bottom rung within the "stuff your face with carbs" category and moved up to a "moderate only please":)

So, at least there seems to be a scintilla of progress inching us forward:)

Did anybody else pick up this media piece or was I dreaming?

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.
Where did you read/hear it Kevin?