1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

The U.K. Are Getting New Food Guidelines Next Month!

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by KevinPotts, Jun 18, 2016.

1. KevinPotts

KevinPotts Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Major news headlines in my Apple News app that drives all my news aggregation on my phone...sox I can't remember the media channel:)

2. KevinPotts

Wow...if that's what they are going to be using, it's a significant step forward:)

Might not be perfect to us...BUT can't knock a tryer:)

• Like Like x 4
  3. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Personally, the Eat Well Guide is a tiny incremental shift in the right direction, I think we also have to appreciate that it is an absolutely general guide, without any account of medical conditions or tolerances.

It's just a variation to daily guidelines for calories consumed. The NHS guidelines for men and women, respectively are 2000 and 2500 calories per day, but I'm sure most of us would also rail against that being accepted without considering all manner of other factors.

So many myths are being bust at the moment, and so many historic metrics need to be addressed, it'll take time.

• Like Like x 2
  4. RoseofSharon

RoseofSharon Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree @KevinPotts and @AndBreathe. For the medical community (which is notoriously slow to change or admit they were giving wrong advice) it is significant in the correct direction...

5. Providence 62

Providence 62 LADA · Well-Known Member

Me as well.

• Like Like x 2
  6. SunnyExpat

SunnyExpat Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Australia have just changed theirs?

http://nutritionaustralia.org/national/resource/healthy-eating-pyramid

Sounds like the one you may have seen, it's a very mediterranean style.

7. KevinPotts

That's an interesting one, but no it's not that I was aware of the Australian changes...I'm pretty sure it was little old UK:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

8. SunnyExpat

You will have to keep your eye out for it, it will be interesting if they have, the UK only changed the advice earlier this year already.
    March I believe, and not due for another two years.

9. KevinPotts

Emmmm....I'm probably being an idiot, or maybe I read an old piece, they had just bundled in:) Could be that!

10. SunnyExpat

That was the eatwell plate, I don't know if they still support the pyramid of not.

11. KevinPotts

Curioser....and curioser:)

12. TooManyCrisps

TooManyCrisps Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Theres a thread on this forum in the "sticky" section called "What have you eaten today" where people post their daily meals, I've had lots of good ideas from that. There are also lots of recipes in the Low Carb forum. I got a brilliant low carb bread recipe from there which i now make twice a week and then that's my packed lunch sorted.

13. Badboydavey1

Badboydavey1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thx toomanycrisps but the thing is I've been told that much advice in alittle time and some contridict the other and the other thing I'm not a really good cook lol and cooking for one I'm finding it hard.........my levels are coming down from high 20s and low 30s to 12 morning then gradually works up throughout the day to 24

This morning I've had cornflakes for breakfast, lunch I will have soup (without bread) then for main meal I might have chicken breast salad

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

• Like Like x 2
  14. RoseofSharon

RoseofSharon Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The world of nutrition is a minefield for everyone regardless of their nutritional needs or illnesses. You are on the right lines, however those cornflakes will do you no good as they are full of sugar and carbs! Your lunch and evening listed here are much the same as I choose. In most cases it's not massive or dramatic changes that you have to make, do take a look at the low carb section of the forum. You can go low carb and not cook, but it is difficult and you have to be very discerning about the food you choose. In most case though it's just little things that need tweaking, e.g. When having a roast dinner do not have more than one roast potatoes (some would say none) and leave off the Yorkshire pudding.

15. Badboydavey1

Badboydavey1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thx roseofsharon I will look at recipes for breakfast but whatever I choose for breakfast it can't have eggs in it cause I take creon 40,000 with every meal I get severe constipation so if you have any ideas all welcome

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

16. Paul_c

Paul_c Type 2 · Well-Known Member

17. SunnyExpat

18. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

According to Zoe Harcombe there are more carbs in the eat well guide than the plate. She sees it as a formula for increasing obesesity. But on the other hand one should be thankful the selfless food companies could have there input and keep us from the ultimate vice of saturated fat! :);) D.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. SunnyExpat

Unlike the selfless Zoe?
    It's a good hook though, we all know any one anti-establishment must be on your side?
    And it doesn't cost too much, she tells us, with an easy payment plan.
    And the options to buy the books, for another very reasonable cost.

http://payment.theharcombedietclub.com/

I tend to be a little bit cynical of guru's that tell you what you want to hear, then upsell what you actually need to hear. I sure many find it good value for money though.

• Like Like x 2
    #39 SunnyExpat, Jun 21, 2016 at 1:58 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2016
  20. KevinPotts

And I thought we were edging forward with progress, be it ever so slightly....shows you what a naive newbie I am:)

#40 KevinPotts, Jun 21, 2016 at 2:58 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2016
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook