Can Diabetes be reversed using herbs

justin101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I came across an interesting post online about a man who was able to reverse his diabetes using natural herbs, does anyone have similar experience with herbs ?

Edited by Mod: To remove url.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope. Sorry. Never seen a post on the forum where it has worked for anyone, either.

Lots of us use supplements and diet to help blood sugar control, and many T2s find that losing weight can help tremendously, and sometimes reverse their diabetes.

However, most websites claiming 'cures' are nothing but snake oil salesmen and con artists. PLEASE don't part with any money until you have checked the claim out very thoroughly. Many of these sites have multiple links to supposed 'reviews' and 'claims' that are just more sales pitch.

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Someone I know uses a seaweed supplement. Costs a couple of hundred quid. He says it detoxes his liver, and regulates his blood sugars.
He also has Metformin, though, and I keep telling him that if he has a month or so of these seaweed pills at least 5 times a year, but his HbA1c is not improving, then he is most likely being ripped off.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt if any herb or supplement by itself can do much of anything, unless there is a severe vitamin or mineral deficiency that is being corrected. Just as you can't outrun a bad diet, I doubt if you can outsupplement one either. IMO diet is the first step on the journey to reversing diabetes.

hornplayer

A friend checked out one of these herb "cures". The ones where they tell you to watch this quick video and it'll explain everything - and it ends up being three weeks long and you have to pay for the recipe. He said that it gave you a list of ingredients, most of which were impossible to get hold of and some didn't seem to exist at all. That's probably how they get away with it. People can't say it doesn't work and get their money back because they weren't able to get all the stuff so didn't do it "properly".

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nope. Sorry. Never seen a post on the forum where it has worked for anyone, either.

Lots of us use supplements and diet to help blood sugar control, and many T2s find that losing weight can help tremendously, and sometimes reverse their diabetes.

However, most websites claiming 'cures' are nothing but snake oil salesmen and con artists. PLEASE don't part with any money until you have checked the claim out very thoroughly. Many of these sites have multiple links to supposed 'reviews' and 'claims' that are just more sales pitch.
I look at it this way. If there was such a Vunder'erb, then you can bet your bottom dollar that Big Pharma will have cornered the market and restricted access to it in every way they can. That is what 'They' are good at.

If you look at what has been used in folk medicine, then there are some remedies that do have benefit for some, (but not all), but their effects are generally limited. Goats Rue used to be such a herb, and that is now marketed as Glucophage (Metformin), which is good at what it does, but it is not a cure - its the closest that we have to a natural remedy, Similarly Digoxin comes from foxglove, and there are probably other examples, but if Big Pharma is not already using it, then it probably does not work.

I have experimented with many supplements myself, and had some success along the way. But they have all been just tools that help me lower my bgl. I have given them all up now since I have found that the Banting Diet (its modern identity is LCHF) that was used 100 years or so ago is more effective in controlling my bgl than any expensive supplements.

I just take supplements that I need, such as Vit B12, zinc, magnesium, folate. I also use chromium occasionally to stabilise my levels. Most of these ones I mention here should be covered by my diet anyway, so I am not overly concerned if I run out or miss a day (or a week / month even)

So, save your money, and visit the Low Carb thread here (its free, as is the LC training course run by DCUK) There are many forms of LC diet being discussed, and any one of them will probably work for you, so try it. Use the money you save from avoiding supplements to purchase a meter and strips instead - its a sounder investment, believe me.

Reactions: 2 people
S

Shar67

Maybe if you only eat the herbs and nothing else, though starving comes with its own set of problems.
I'm think of writing a book called I cured my diabetes with positive energy (Noel would be proud).

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've never seen any reports about a successful herbal cure for T2; sorry.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Never, never believe all the stories about any herbs or diets that can reverse or cure diabetes. It is a money making scheme. It just doesn't happen and a total waste of money. Just follow the guidelines to cut down on carbs and eat a healthy meal with lots of fibres.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The secret of life lies with Phlogiston. Follow the Joseph Priestley cure plan. Without Phlogiston we will all die. Eat. sleep and breathe phlogiston Yeah!!!!!!! Big LOL

LittleG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I heard that if you tear cake into bits the calories leak out. IS THAT TRUE?

(Only joking please don't waste money and hope on scams x ).

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Herbs are best for flavouring our food rather than miracle cures, and some, e.g. parsely which is high in iron, are useful for their various vitamin or mineral content.

So certainly eat them but don't expect them to rid you of your diabetes...

Robbity

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetes can be controlled by most by following a sensible diet. Anything that claims you can 'reverse' your diabetes is usually a.scam, stick to the forum and the great advice herein is all you need.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some herbs and vitamins may help you to control your BG levels slightly but only if you eat a sensible diet such as LCHF ,by the way did you know that broken biscuits don't have any calories ?!!!!;) :woot:
CAROL

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some herbs and vitamins may help you to control your BG levels slightly but only if you eat a sensible diet such as LCHF ,by the way did you know that broken biscuits don't have any calories ?!!!!;) :woot:
CAROL
Just like a broken pancreas has no insulin?

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, started low carb 5 months ago, with good results, but find it difficult to get below 60-70 grams daily (I miss oven chips so much)

back in Feb, an Indian friend suggested bitter melon, but as I hate vegetables, I bought the capsules (karelobetic). I found they had an effect.........my BG went up to about 8 after a meal with 30-40 grams of carbs, instead of 10 or 11.

I've explored the literature on this, and now taking lots of supplements, including Gymnema, fenugreek, Ivy Gourd, Pterocarpus, Turmeric, mulberry. Also taking resistant starch, FOS, prebiotics. I think these all work OK in combination.

I agree with everyone who says that herbs alone won't work, but combined with low-carbing, I feel is worth a try for some people.

Also, may have to try fairly long term, as any potential beta cell regeneration will be minor and take a while.

My perspective is from someone diabetic for 17 years who was close to going on insulin. I suspect my beta cell function was down to about 20% of normal, with huge insulin resistance as well. I think the supplements are helping a little with both these things.

Some of the herbs undoubtedly just delay stomach emptying and how long it takes glucose to enter the bloodstream, but I'm convinced some are helping my insulin work better. When my BG goes above 7.7 (the upper limit I aim for, following Jenny Ruhl, diabetes 101), it goes less high, but for slightly longer, but I have satisfied myself that the "area under the curve" is reduced, so doing myself less damage.

I plan to continue, despite the expense, and then stop all supplements at some point, keep low carbing, and see if things deteriorate.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, started low carb 5 months ago, with good results, but find it difficult to get below 60-70 grams daily (I miss oven chips so much)

back in Feb, an Indian friend suggested bitter melon, but as I hate vegetables, I bought the capsules (karelobetic). I found they had an effect.........my BG went up to about 8 after a meal with 30-40 grams of carbs, instead of 10 or 11.

I've explored the literature on this, and now taking lots of supplements, including Gymnema, fenugreek, Ivy Gourd, Pterocarpus, Turmeric, mulberry. Also taking resistant starch, FOS, prebiotics. I think these all work OK in combination.

I agree with everyone who says that herbs alone won't work, but combined with low-carbing, I feel is worth a try for some people.

Also, may have to try fairly long term, as any potential beta cell regeneration will be minor and take a while.

My perspective is from someone diabetic for 17 years who was close to going on insulin. I suspect my beta cell function was down to about 20% of normal, with huge insulin resistance as well. I think the supplements are helping a little with both these things.

Some of the herbs undoubtedly just delay stomach emptying and how long it takes glucose to enter the bloodstream, but I'm convinced some are helping my insulin work better. When my BG goes above 7.7 (the upper limit I aim for, following Jenny Ruhl, diabetes 101), it goes less high, but for slightly longer, but I have satisfied myself that the "area under the curve" is reduced, so doing myself less damage.

I plan to continue, despite the expense, and then stop all supplements at some point, keep low carbing, and see if things deteriorate.
You must rattle when you walk! Trouble is, if only one of your supplements has an effect, then how do you intend to find out which? I generally tested them one at a time, but made the mistake of starting LCHF mid-test, which distorted my result.
You obviously have deep pockets and a cast iron gut, since some of the supps you list have known gastric side effects. Bitter Melon and Gymnema Sylvestre both churned my tummy, so be aware that you may have days when you don't want to move far from the house.

Although I had success with BM and GS in my trials, I found that after the initial significant drop in bgl, then the levels started rising again. The effect seemed to be temporary and the body acclimatised to it.

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

It is not a controlled experiment, but I have introduced them one at a time over a week or two, so on bitter melon for 4 months, Ivy Gourd only for past week etc. Also mix and match timings, and the freestyle Libre has helped me get some idea of what happens when. Probably costing me £70 - £80 per month, but I just have a feeling that my BG improvement is not just from the LCHF diet.

Also, forgot to mention alpha lipoic acid, which I am fairly certain is reducing my neuropathy. Far less numbness in toes and fingers now. I average 900-1200 mg per day. No improvement in circulation/healing though.

No gastro problems at all, but I never get side effects from anything, including Metformin, statin.

Since doing this for the last 5 months, I've also managed to achieve the drops in Hba1c shown below despite reducing my meds. I have dropped metformin from 2000mg per day to 1500mg, and have dropped Gliclazide from 240mg to just 80mg. My GP doesn't know yet...............I'm psyching myself up for the inevitable "you must be having hypos" conversation. On 240mg Gliclazide, I was very occasionally dropping to 3.9, fasting before evening meal, but since reduction in meds, lowest I go is 4.2. However, still can't get morning below 5.5, and always goes above 7 from DP.

Emilian14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well i heard that natural herbs cure a lot of deseases but i dont heard to cure type 2 but who knows nothing its not imposible