I love my Doctor!

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well i am glad for you and because your doctor help you .Keep up the good job and be optimistic all time

Thank you! Although my Doctor did tell me that I'll be on the meds forever and no-one can ever come off them. He also refused to prescribe test strips as I "don't need to test". That was the challenge for me - to prove him wrong! He was gracious enough to acknowledge that I'd done well, last time I saw him.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't want to put a downer on your fantastic result and well done but next time you see him or the nurse for that matter I bet they say 'ah, you're the exception to the rule........'

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't want to put a downer on your fantastic result and well done but next time you see him or the nurse for that matter I bet they say 'ah, you're the exception to the rule........'

Which is a sad reflection on the other diabetic patients, not on the HCP's, who are frustrated watching the lack of progress many (don't) make.
The op has done brilliantly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Which is a sad reflection on the other diabetic patients, not on the HCP's, who are frustrated watching the lack of progress many (don't) make.

Indeed the OP has done brilliantly :), is it a sad reflection on other T2Ds?

How many posts on here have stated their Doctor or DSN have insisted they stick to the NHS eat well plate...............which we all know considers a large proportion of it should be carbs, T2Ds aren't given the tools to manage the condition (blood testing equipment), and there are probably a lot out there that are trying really hard but sticking to what their HCPs are telling them and failing. However for each of all those 'trying' there's probably 2 or more not, sadly.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Indeed the OP has done brilliantly :), is it a sad reflection on other T2Ds?

How many posts on here have stated their Doctor or DSN have insisted they stick to the NHS eat well plate...............which we all know considers a large proportion of it should be carbs, T2Ds aren't given the tools to manage the condition (blood testing equipment), and there are probably a lot out there that are trying really hard but sticking to what their HCPs are telling them and failing. However for each of all those 'trying' there's probably 2 or more not, sadly.

This website is an oddity. It in no way represents the 'average' diabetic patient.
When I was diagnosed, I made a great effort to find out as much as possible, I attended the clinics, the hospital appointments, the courses.
It was a struggle for the HCP's to convince many that any form of 'healthy' food was better than the junk they were eating. And by far the majority of patients were obese, myself included.

I tend to think there are several stages in diet. as treatment.
Initially, cutting down, and changing from junk to healthy.
Many then search the internet, some find their way here.
Many are confused still, and try an assortment of diets from here.
It works for some, it doesn't for others.
The final few undertake a total lifestyle change, and settle onto a lifestyle they are happy to continue with.

The HCP sees the vast majority that never take the first step.
We see those that decide to see the process through a far as they can.

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been working on my GP re LCHF and he was interested to see my progress. I have a feeling that he's open to conclusive results (which I'll happily provide!).

I do agree that the HCPs must get frustrated - both by non-compliant patients, NHS guidelines and prescription targets. I'm gobsmacked at the number of people I encounter who think it's a good idea to eat what they like and medicate as necessary. Some of them have accused me of making a big thing out of my diabetes. ***?! I just want to be fit, healthy, alive and with all my bits still attached!

I'm banging the LCHF drum as loudly as I can, hoping that someone will hear it - one less person on the "Eatwell Plate" wheel would be awesome!

Reactions: 5 people

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I'm back from the diabetes review with the Nurse and I'm officially not a diabetic any more! She'll send me for an annual HbA1c to keep an eye on levels, but I'm off their list now! Obviously I know that I need to keep a check on the carbs and glucose levels and intend to keep following LCHF and IF with regular testing, but it does feel good to get back into the non-diabetic realm again.

The Nurse was great - I told her about how LCHF has helped me and mentioned that I know the NHS doesn't necessarily approve, but she stunned me and said "whatever works for you" and congratulated me! She did caution me as to lifestyle v diet, but I'm already sold on that one.

I feel that these forums (especially the low carb one) have enabled me to beat this, so please accept a heartfelt thank you for all the advice and support. I am so very grateful to have found you amazing people!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on the results.

Did you agree to be taken off the register?

Will you still be having an annual eye screening, neuropathy, cholesterol, kidney function, and all the other tests?

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on the results.

Did you agree to be taken off the register?

Will you still be having an annual eye screening, neuropathy, cholesterol, kidney function, and all the other tests?

Thank you!

Apparently, she's going to check with the GP. I asked the same question about the checks and she said she thinks I may have one more eye screening and that the annual blood test will incorporate all the other tests. I guess the only thing I won't have going forward is the foot check, but I'm happy to keep an eye on that one myself.

Reactions: 4 people

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just spoke with my district diabetes nurse and she is please my levels are starting to come down so she suggested that I up my gliclazide to 80mg morning and 120mg with main meal for 4 days then if ok up the dose to 160mg with main meal then she will ring me next week where she wants to up my gliclazide to 160mg morning (so I will be on max dose) also next week she wants to up my metformin

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You mean the one's that follow the Doctors and DN's advice..eat carbs with every meal..like what it says on the Eatwell Guide?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This website is an oddity. It in no way represents the 'average' diabetic patient.
When I was diagnosed, I made a great effort to find out as much as possible, I attended the clinics, the hospital appointments, the courses.
It was a struggle for the HCP's to convince many that any form of 'healthy' food was better than the junk they were eating. And by far the majority of patients were obese, myself included.

I tend to think there are several stages in diet. as treatment.
Initially, cutting down, and changing from junk to healthy.
Many then search the internet, some find their way here.
Many are confused still, and try an assortment of diets from here.
It works for some, it doesn't for others.
The final few undertake a total lifestyle change, and settle onto a lifestyle they are happy to continue with.

The HCP sees the vast majority that never take the first step.
We see those that decide to see the process through a far as they can.

Thats great for you and me... However... Most people believe (very mistakenly in my opinion) that their GP is the world expert on their condition and thus when he says take these pills they do. When I was pre diabetic I was informed by a phone call from the surgery receptionist who said you should "lose a bit of weight". That was the sum total of the advice I was given. Not exactly helpful... no idea of what I could be letting myself in for if the condition worsened.
When diagnosed with full Type 2 I did the research and luckily found my way here and not to the "Other place" where I would be told to follow the eat well guide and take my pills like a good boy. My practise nurse is a cow and knows nothing.. the GP overseeing the Diabetes treatment had never heard of Prof Roy Taylor , Newcastle Diet or LCHF. He didn't seem very interested when I explained either. So I would be loathe to blame the patients when they are given appalling advice.

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP had added a note to the print out of my results to say "Well done! keep up with the Low Fat Diet to keep these impressive results" Face Palm!

Reactions: 4 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats great for you and me... However... Most people believe (very mistakenly in my opinion) that their GP is the world expert on their condition and thus when he says take these pills they do. When I was pre diabetic I was informed by a phone call from the surgery receptionist who said you should "lose a bit of weight". That was the sum total of the advice I was given. Not exactly helpful... no idea of what I could be letting myself in for if the condition worsened.
When diagnosed with full Type 2 I did the research and luckily found my way here and not to the "Other place" where I would be told to follow the eat well guide and take my pills like a good boy. My practise nurse is a cow and knows nothing.. the GP overseeing the Diabetes treatment had never heard of Prof Roy Taylor , Newcastle Diet or LCHF. He didn't seem very interested when I explained either. So I would be loathe to blame the patients when they are given appalling advice.

Possibly they think the same of certain patients?

Did you lose the weight, and still develop type 2?

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I have mixed feelings about HCPs and LCHF. I've found I've got the motivation and am prepared to put the time and effort in, but then I have always been a big foodie, of a scientific bent and interested in experimenting. Having met a load of other diabetics on a course, it was clear that a) many of them didn't have a clue about food (getting sweets out of the machine at the break and drinking full-sugar coke.) and b) didn't do much cooking. I truly sympathise with HCPs when they assume people won't manage it, even if they get free strips and education on low-carb eating.

It would need to be a far more extensive training than the 6 mornings I was down for, I'm pretty sure.

Plus people nowadays are in a mindset of 'doctors will fix it' whenever they have an illness, and just aren't used to taking control. Diabetes in the first few years anyway is mostly symptomless and you could get lulled into a false sense of security. I must say I was only shocked out of that by the threat of insulin.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Possibly, however the patient is neither trained nor paid to help with their condition the HCP is.

They gave you good advice.
Weight loss is always a good idea.
Whether you took it or not was down to you.

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My nurse not practice nurse said keep what your doing with exercise,food portions but she don't recommend a low carb diet for me at the moment cause of my chronic pancreatitis and I'm still under weight (but that don't mean I can eat all the sugary stuff still keep on with healthy stuff)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum