Advice on low carb diet possible side effects

jonnoras

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. When I was diagnosed with type 2 (HB was 7.8) I went on a lower carb diet (about 30g per meal) Although this had a good effect on my blood (av 7 to 8 mmol after 2 hrs) I wasn't happy with the blood levels. So for the last 2 months I have been on the much lower carb diet (between 30-50g per day) for about 2 months now. This has had a really good impact on my bloods and they are rarely over 6mmols even at 1 hr after eating. My fasting bloods are sometimes as low as 4. My weight has dropped from 19st 9lbs to 14st 5lbs as of today (since January).
However, I am getting quite serious tingling, numbness and feeling cold in my right leg and particularly my foot. When I walk my gait has changed and my foot slaps on the floor as if I have no control when putting my foot down. I am eating much more veg than I ever used to. I think my diet is quite healthy as I am eating a good amount of protein, reasonable amounts of fat and quite a lot of salad or stir fry veg (in olive oil). I have read about the effects of Vitamin deficiency (particularly B12) which can cause tingling and numbness when its lacking but I'm confused because the veg I'm eating should be enough not to cause a deficiency. Am I doing something wrong?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What does your doc say has happened to your leg and foot?

I can think of several potential reasons why your foot/gait may have changed (from vit deficiency as you mentioned, to a trapped nerve, to charcot foot, to neuropathy or a fallen arch)

Think eliminating those via your doc should be your first step before assuming low carb is to blame...

Hope that helps :)

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. When I was diagnosed with type 2 (HB was 7.8) I went on a lower carb diet (about 30g per meal) Although this had a good effect on my blood (av 7 to 8 mmol after 2 hrs) I wasn't happy with the blood levels. So for the last 2 months I have been on the much lower carb diet (between 30-50g per day) for about 2 months now. This has had a really good impact on my bloods and they are rarely over 6mmols even at 1 hr after eating. My fasting bloods are sometimes as low as 4. My weight has dropped from 19st 9lbs to 14st 5lbs as of today (since January).
However, I am getting quite serious tingling, numbness and feeling cold in my right leg and particularly my foot. When I walk my gait has changed and my foot slaps on the floor as if I have no control when putting my foot down. I am eating much more veg than I ever used to. I think my diet is quite healthy as I am eating a good amount of protein, reasonable amounts of fat and quite a lot of salad or stir fry veg (in olive oil). I have read about the effects of Vitamin deficiency (particularly B12) which can cause tingling and numbness when its lacking but I'm confused because the veg I'm eating should be enough not to cause a deficiency. Am I doing something wrong?

See your doctor, and listen to what he tells you, even if he isn't over the moon over your new diet.

jonnoras

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hmmmm. I haven't been to the doctor yet about my symptoms simply because I know they will criticise the diet and "persuade" me to change my diet and go on metformin - which is what they did when I was first diagnosed (and I stopped taking it). I don't think it's the low carb diet in itself but maybe a vitamin dificiency. By the way, what is charcot foot.
J

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmmmm. I haven't been to the doctor yet about my symptoms simply because I know they will criticise the diet and "persuade" me to change my diet and go on metformin - which is what they did when I was first diagnosed (and I stopped taking it). I don't think it's the low carb diet in itself but maybe a vitamin dificiency. By the way, what is charcot foot.
J

If you don't trust your doctor, it may be better to have a go yourself then. You may be able to do something about it. Let us know if it gets better, (or worse)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Charcot foot is a complication from prolonged high blood glucose. It tends to happen when people have had diabetes for a long time.

It is very unlikely that you (newly diagnosed) have it, but worth discussing with your doc.

If you are worried about a vit deficiency then your doc can run tests.
My experience of LC is that i get far more nutrients than i did carbing - mainly because of all the veg and better range of foods i'm eating now i am not 'filling up' on carbs.

Have you checked the foods that contain Vit B12, to see if you are eating them? I know that Vit B12 deficiency is becoming more common, so you may have it, but think you need a test to make sure...

jonnoras

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Charcot foot is a complication from prolonged high blood glucose. It tends to happen when people have had diabetes for a long time.

It is very unlikely that you (newly diagnosed) have it, but worth discussing with your doc.

If you are worried about a vit deficiency then your doc can run tests.
My experience of LC is that i get far more nutrients than i did carbing - mainly because of all the veg and better range of foods i'm eating now i am not 'filling up' on carbs.

Have you checked the foods that contain Vit B12, to see if you are eating them? I know that Vit B12 deficiency is becoming more common, so you may have it, but think you need a test to make sure...
Thank you very much for your reply. You are a huge mine of information and a real source of inspiration!!
J

Dark Horse

You can get vitamin B12 deficiency even if there is plenty in your diet - some people lack the ability to absorb it properly due to an autoimmune condition.http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anaemia-vitamin-B12-and-folate-deficiency/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Your Doctor would be able to test for this.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congrats on your incredible weight loss!

I can't think of any reason why what you're eating would cause these symptoms, nor do I think this has anything to do with your diabetes. It's concerning.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Please let us know what happens when you talk to your doctor.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Get in to the docs and just get a set of bloods to eliminate and otherwise target what it could be.

Your results from your LCHF are absolutely terrific:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 25g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

T1DM2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would pop along to your doctor on Monday to get it checked out, any change to gait is a cause for concern. It doesn't sound diet related but more a muscle weakness, which could be caused by compression of a nerve. Alternatively it could be caused by nerve damage linked to diabetes known as a neuropathy, but if you haven't had diabetes long it's unlikely. Good luck and let us know how you get along.

jonnoras

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for all your replies again. I haven't been to the doctor yet as I think it might be a compressed (peritoneal) nerve through too much leg crossing. It never struck me but as I have lost quite a lot of weight my "padding" has obviously reduced thus the effect of leg crossing has been heightened. I have stopped crossing my legs and it appears to be (very slowly) improving.

cheers J

Reactions: 4 people

trotskyite

No long term studies show safety of high fat diets and they are well known to cause blood sludging and this can restrict flow to your periferal tissues.eg-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3igKW6bl3FE
It's possible you were correct in blaming your diet however the gp should be consulted.

jonnoras

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No long term studies show safety of high fat diets and they are well known to cause blood sludging and this can restrict flow to your periferal tissues.eg-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3igKW6bl3FE
It's possible you were correct in blaming your diet however the gp should be consulted.
Thanks for the reply. My only concern is now I am even more confused. Many people on this forum espouse the benefits of high fat with low carb and medium to high protein diets. My confusion is basically what the hell can I eat. I read somewhere that too much protein metabolises into glucose. If I eat moderate amounts of each, how will I stop loosing weight _which I am doing at the moment? J

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That video is absurd. The meal chosen was huge amounts of fat (olive oil by the cup), plus a sub, plus pizza, which is more fat with protein and carbs.
- definitely not the way of eating described as Low Carb.

It is a better example of 'the Pizza Effect' where the fat/carb/protein combo is notorious for messing up blood glucose control for hours after eating.

Also worth remembering that the reason Cholesterol should be tested after a 10 hour fast, is because food (carbs as well as fats) are transported in the blood as Triglycerides. Since Melodramatic Doctor (seen writhing on the floor for extra drama) has eaten fat, carbs and protein, his body is doing what it is supposed to do - namely transport that fat and carb away to the cells to be stored for later energy use.

The video shows nothing can can remotely be compared with a well formulated low carb diet, and is nothing more than showmanship. Even the creepy music is farcical.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonnoras

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That video is absurd. The meal chosen was huge amounts of fat (olive oil by the cup), plus a sub, plus pizza, which is more fat with protein and carbs.
- definitely not the way of eating described as Low Carb.

It is a better example of 'the Pizza Effect' where the fat/carb/protein combo is notorious for messing up blood glucose control for hours after eating.

Also worth remembering that the reason Cholesterol should be tested after a 10 hour fast, is because food (carbs as well as fats) are transported in the blood as Triglycerides. Since Melodramatic Doctor (seen writing on the floor for extra drama) has eaten fat, carbs and protein, his body is doing what it is supposed to do - namely transport that fat and carb away to the cells to be stored for later energy use.

The video shows nothing can can remotely be compared with a well formulated low carb diet, and is nothing more than showmanship. Even the creepy music is farcical.
Wow!! How do you know so much. Thank you for putting my mind at rest.
J

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
J

Haha! Stick around. The forum is a fantastic source of info. Then just follow any links in forum posts, read any books that are recommended, and you will find your knowledge grows exponentially. :) Just don't take ANYTHING at face value.
- now you need to go and read up on Pizza Effect, cos you don't want to take my opinion at face value either... haha!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
J

Everyone has their own take.
No one on this forum is a doctor,
Many people have very strong opinions, many can point to their favourite guru, and for every fact, someone has the exact opposite fact.

Find a way that suits you.

I would still be inclined to Include your HCP in your team though.

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the reply. My only concern is now I am even more confused. Many people on this forum espouse the benefits of high fat with low carb and medium to high protein diets. My confusion is basically what the hell can I eat. I read somewhere that too much protein metabolises into glucose. If I eat moderate amounts of each, how will I stop loosing weight _which I am doing at the moment? J
J
@jonnoras I felt exactly the same as you. For the last few months I have gone from one thing to the other and ended up confused. I have now got Jason Fung obesity code book and am watching his lectures, I am following the diet doctor low carb challenge and then Im going to fast as per Jason Fung. I have found what I have learnt to be facinating but it's no good trying to follow advice on forums as there are too many conflicting opinions. I am on holiday this week but the week after I will be on it. Good luck with your research.