Avocados

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello today i bought these for the first time what can i do with them that fits in to my low carb high fat diet. I seen mash them with lime juice but i was thinking using them for breakfast-any ideas please.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello today i bought these for the first time what can i do with them that fits in to my low carb high fat diet. I seen mash them with lime juice but i was thinking using them for breakfast-any ideas please.
I eat a whole one a day. I mix it up but generally half for BF smashed with sea salt and eaten with celery sticks. You can add other flavors like lemon or lime, chili or jalepeno peppers, cilantro, coriander and cumin. Or I chunk the. Into salads or lettuce wraps. I also just cut slices and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. IF you don't eat the whole thing, though I usually do throughout the day take a piece of waxed paper, Saran Wrap, paper towel etc and cover the flesh so it's air tight and then press onto a plate and refrigerate. Do not refrigerate before they are ripe. After ripe put them in the fridge to stop the ripening. They stay quite a while if uncut and in the fridge
You can always just eat them out of the skin with a little salt. No need to get fancy with recipes. They are the perfect BF for me as to not spike bs. You can add some protein as well some people use them smashed in place of mayo

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
I am the same - i still have the one I bought a few days ago, not sure what I want to do with it ....

I certainly don't want to be faffing too much (hate cooking and prepping meals)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am the same - i still have the one I bought a few days ago, not sure what I want to do with it ....

I certainly don't want to be faffing too much (hate cooking and prepping meals)
Just smash it with a fork and sea salt. Simple. Eat with celery. Later you can add other flavors. For me, simple is best

Reactions: 4 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Super food! And so easy. At it's simplest just slice and serve - often have it with poached eggs, spinach and a dollop of full fat yoghurt for breakfast

Reactions: 2 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love baked avocado - great for lunch or dinner. Simply split in half and remove the stone. Cut a little sliver off the bottom so it stays still on a baking tray. Fill the hole with tuna mayo and top with cheese. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes and serve with salad. Lots of other filling options. I use it like a jacket potato!

Reactions: 10 people

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me pre-bike ride this morning I mashed half an avocado, 4 eggs scrambled with butter, some spinach and salt over it. Honestly, hit the spot. No hunger pangs on the bike at all!

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
would try but personally like the pure essence of plain avocado. Am I brave enough to sacrifice an avocado in a heating experiment...maybe
It is worth it IMO. Try baking just 1 half!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I eat a whole one a day. I mix it up but generally half for BF smashed with sea salt and eaten with celery sticks. You can add other flavors like lemon or lime, chili or jalepeno peppers, cilantro, coriander and cumin. Or I chunk the. Into salads or lettuce wraps. I also just cut slices and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. IF you don't eat the whole thing, though I usually do throughout the day take a piece of waxed paper, Saran Wrap, paper towel etc and cover the flesh so it's air tight and then press onto a plate and refrigerate. Do not refrigerate before they are ripe. After ripe put them in the fridge to stop the ripening. They stay quite a while if uncut and in the fridge
You can always just eat them out of the skin with a little salt. No need to get fancy with recipes. They are the perfect BF for me as to not spike bs. You can add some protein as well some people use them smashed in place of mayo

Kristin, I was sure you'd see this question and be onto it as I know what a fan you are of these wonderful fruits:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I made some guacamole with the frozen avocadoes I had in the freezer. Usually with fresh avocadoes I just eat them out of the skin with some Worcester Sauce in the hollow left by the stone. I will try some of these suggestions.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Kristin, I was sure you'd see this question and be onto it as I know what a fan you are of these wonderful fruits:)

My daughter visited us from London this weekend and she made some wonderful guacamole and passed on her skills and recipe to Yvonne, so more of this home made variety to come in the Potts' household:)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Haha. I'm even more of a fan of how flat they keep my bs. It slows and lowers any spike or drop for me like no other food.

How did your daughter make the guac? I typically don't get fancy anymore, just down the hatch!

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Avocados are one of my favourite foods at the moment! If you are after a simple thing, and have low-carb bread around, I suggest putting sliced avo on top of the bread, as it is (with lemon) or in place of butter, with some meat on top. I love avo smoothies with spinach, fresh coriander, ginger, lemon and coconut milk. Mostly, I just chuck a sliced avo into a salad, but I do love the courgetti pasta sauces!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Haha. I'm even more of a fan of how flat they keep my bs. It slows and lowers any spike or drop for me like no other food.

How did your daughter make the guac? I typically don't get fancy anymore, just down the hatch!

Ripe avocado, lime juice, coriander and red onion.

I couldn't believe it was so lovely and simple....Just popped it all in the NutriBullet and blended it:)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Avocados are one of my favourite foods at the moment! If you are after a simple thing, and have low-carb bread around, I suggest putting sliced avo on top of the bread, as it is (with lemon) or in place of butter, with some meat on top. I love avo smoothies with spinach, fresh coriander, ginger, lemon and coconut milk. Mostly, I just chuck a sliced avo into a salad, but I do love the courgetti pasta sauces!
I don't eat bread so that's out but sounds wonderful
I used to always just make a whole one I to guacamole and eat some with all meals. Lately I have been making a chop salad with finely chopped lettuce scallion red onion purple cabbage radish and a pinch of carrot for color. Then add some protein a little mayo, lemon juice and avocado chunks. Love it. Good and gooey and very filling.
I always thought of a smoothie but only avocado works for BF. No other carbs or veggies. Do you think thinning it with a little water, add seasonings and blend would work? I don't do dairy either so no milk or cream or cheese. I just want avocado but not sure if water would make it gross. Maybe I'll try and see. I guess that's the only way to find out.