New diabetic drug

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Just received this from the BNF,

Dapagliflozin
Dapagliflozin, a new first-in-class antidiabetic drug, has been added to BNF section 6.1.2.3 for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. It reversibly inhibits sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 (SGLT2) in the renal proximal convoluted tubule to reduce glucose reabsorption and increase urinary glucose excretion. Dapagliflozin is licensed for use as monotherapy (if metformin is not tolerated), or in combination with insulin or other antidiabetic drugs (if existing treatment fails to achieve adequate glycaemic control), however, it is not recommended for use in combination with pioglitazone. For further information see Dapagliflozin.

Any thoughts ? any peeps with a bit of training out there who can interpret this ?

Superchip

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
After saying it a few times and looking at it spelled.

It sounds and looks more like an antibiotic to me ... :eh:

Anna.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
This drug works in the kidneys and causes the body to expel excess glucose and its associated calories in the urine. As a consequence it can reduce BS and also assist in weight loss. This drug was not approved in the USA by the FDA, who have asked for more information on risks. There is a later drug in this class, canagliflozin, which has been approved by the FDA, but has not, as yet, been approved by the EU, although the application has been made.

Regards

Doug

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Thanks Doug, but it appears to be licenced according to the BNF ?
or am I missing the obvious ?

Quote from my previous post on the BNF site ' Dapagliflozin is licensed for use as monotherapy (if metformin is not tolerated), or in combination with insulin or other antidiabetic drugs (if existing treatment fails to achieve adequate glycaemic control'

I am probably being a bit thick here, I ignore what the septics are doing with their drugs, there I go again, sorry !

Thanks mate

Superchip

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Dapagliflozin is licensed for EU use but the later drug, canagliflozin is not, as yet, licensed for EU use. In the USA it's the other way round as the FDA want more information on the risks of dapagliflozin but were happy with canagliflozin (by a narrow vote!).

Doug

the east man

Dislikes
having to think about everything I eat
From what I read on the home page of this site, it is being used in Scotland. Dont know if they are trailing it, or just trying to be progressive. :?

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi all.

I have just begun dapagliflozin this week. I suggested it to my GPSID and she said that she was going to mention it to me anyway. Too early to tell what it will achieve but no apparent side effects so far. I continue to take one 500mg tablet if Metformin a day but have now discontinued injecting Exenatide.

Regards

Doug

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just an update. I tried the 100mg canagliflozin and resulted in scatica like symptoms and horrific thrush.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Sorry for my late update. I had UTIs and balanitis and my endo advised me to stop using dapa.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have been on forxiga for 2 months with no problems whatsoever. Also taking 1000mg metformin and low carb. Blood sugar has gone from the 20s to between 5 and 6.5.

Reactions: 2 people

greybags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been on forxiga for 2 months with no problems whatsoever. Also taking 1000mg metformin and low carb. Blood sugar has gone from the 20s to between 5 and 6.5.
How long before you started to see any improvement. I'm in the high teens, take 1000mg SR Metformin, and been on Forxiga for a week. Not seen any improvements yet, so just wondering what sort of time frame I should be expecting

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
How long before you started to see any improvement. I'm in the teens, take 1000mg SR Metformin, and been on Forxiga for a week. Not seen any improvements yet, so just wondering what sort of time frame I should be expecting
It took a few months before I felt the nasty side effects.
If you experience any leg or foot pain stop this tablet immediately.
I will tag @liam1955 for his experiences.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
How long before you started to see any improvement. I'm in the high teens, take 1000mg SR Metformin, and been on Forxiga for a week. Not seen any improvements yet, so just wondering what sort of time frame I should be expecting

Hi

It took a couple of weeks to come down but I also started a strict low carb diet at the same time. The low carb will also help with not being so likely to get thrush or UTI's as there will be less glucose in the urine. Last night I was at a BBQ and the burgers etc were not under my control. I did not eat any bun but the meat was full of fillers. Forxiga kept my BS well under 7 although I did have to pee more for a few hours. Best way to see the change is to write down all your numbers. There will be random higher and lower numbers, I think everyone gets those to some extent but you should see a general trend down. Fasting in the morning will be the last to start coming down and the forxiga will help if you have dawn phenomenon by getting it down a bit faster.
Hope this helps