Will fasting help if beta cells burnt-out?

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Just read the obesity code by Jason Fung. Makes sense, but I think the focus is very much on getting insulin levels down if you are pre-diabetic or newly diagnosed. I have been type 2 for 17 years. I have trouble believing that my insulin levels are still too high (though they would have been in the beginning). I think I am very insulin resistant, but no longer have high insulin - I suspect my pancreatic beta cells are only functioning at 20-30% of optimum.

I did my first 24 hour fast 2 days ago, and will aim to do this a couple of days a week for a while, but if it helps, I'm not sure it will be by reducing insulin levels and hence resistance..............I think it will just be because I am giving my pancreas a rest for 24 hours, so there will be more first-phase insulin available.

Anyone have views on this (either theoretical or practical)?

Thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that fasting is doing wonders for my insulin resistance, so yes, I think it is beneficial for that reason alone.

Insulin resistance is caused by insulin causing the cells to resist, and insulin resistance drops (quite quickly) if insulin levels drop, meaning that for as long as the insulin resistance stays low, you get much better control of blood glucose - which is a good thing. For me, a 24 hr fast leads to improved insulin resistance for the latter half of that 24 hrs, and then the whole of the next 24 hrs. Provided I don't stuff carbs which would drive the IR straight back up. 36 hrs of improved IR is FAR more beneficial than exercise has ever done for me. :)

Perhaps you should have a rethink... the idea that your beta cells aren't producing enough, contradicts the idea that your beta cells are producing enough insulin to cause insulin resistance... if you see what I mean?

If you can drop your insulin resistance (diet, fasting and exercise are the ways usually suggested) then maybe your beta cells can produce enough insulin for your needs... obviously that is just speculation, but maybe, just maybe... :D

Reactions: 4 people

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Brunneria

I'm sure you are right that fasting can only help....................planning my second 24 hour fast tomorrow.

However, not convinced that my longstanding insulin resistance is now due to high insulin levels. Having said that, I am on Gliclazide, which I know works by squeezing every last drop of insulin out of your pancreas. I have reduced from 240mg per day to 80mg per day, with no obvious ill-effect (not been brave enough to tell my GP yet). I might cut out the last tablet, as during my first fast my BG went down to 4.2, so, unbelievably for me, I may have to consider how to avoid hypos.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My insulin resistance is caused by multiple factors, including (but not restricted to) meds, obesity, a pituitary gland tumour, hormone chaos, and PCOS, so yes, I hear you, there are multiple possible causes! lol.

But it still drops brilliantly with fasting.

Though you are absolutely right, using something like Gliclazide is going to make a huge difference. Presumably you have read up on it? Is that why you are concerned that your beta cells are worn out?

Reactions: 2 people

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I assumed that because I've been type 2 for 17 years, and not looked after myself at all, I must have done myself a lot of damage. The GP wanted to start insulin at start of year, which panicked me into doing all this. However, it is encouraging to think that maybe, just maybe, my beta cells are still doing a reasonable job and I can try and target insulin resistance instead.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
An interesting thread and thoughtful interaction between our two contributors.

I start my first 7 day fast tomorrow and will be posting under the a Fasting section of this forum. It takes me up to 1 week before my second A1C on 14 July, so will be interesting to see what it does to my BG averages:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Just read the obesity code by Jason Fung. Makes sense, but I think the focus is very much on getting insulin levels down if you are pre-diabetic or newly diagnosed. I have been type 2 for 17 years. I have trouble believing that my insulin levels are still too high (though they would have been in the beginning). I think I am very insulin resistant, but no longer have high insulin - I suspect my pancreatic beta cells are only functioning at 20-30% of optimum.

I did my first 24 hour fast 2 days ago, and will aim to do this a couple of days a week for a while, but if it helps, I'm not sure it will be by reducing insulin levels and hence resistance..............I think it will just be because I am giving my pancreas a rest for 24 hours, so there will be more first-phase insulin available.

Anyone have views on this (either theoretical or practical)?

Thanks

I don't think the mechanism for insulin resistance has been established yet.

But I found cutting calories, exercise, and losing any excess weight greatly improved mine.
So I would say yes, fasting would be beneficial.

If you can decrease your insulin resistance, your body will utilise the glucose in your bloodstream more effectively, so you should hopefully need less insulin to be produced.

Can I ask what sort of diet, lifestyle, and BMI have at present?