T1D No Insulin in a Year Until Now..

toripf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am a type one diabetic and I haven't taken insulin in about a year, but today I ate a lot of sugar, more than normal, and so I decided I should take some. I took four units (normally what I took after a carb heavy meal) and I feel okay, but will I BE okay? I checked my BG and it was 97. I'm just curious and scared.. I have really awful anxiety about death and medical issues so I may just be freaking myself out for no reason.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why have you not take insulin for a year? Have you not needed to?

When you decided to take 4 units did you test your bg first?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 3 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi there @toripf Welcome to the forum. Are you testing your blood glucose levels regularly so around 6 times a day ? How are you managing without taking insulin ? If you have taken insulin then you should monitor your levels to check you don't run low, this should help lessen any anxieties you have as by doing so you will then know what the effects are.

Reactions: 2 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was it new insulin, or had you been keeping it in storage in case you needed it? What shelf life does insulin have?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was it new insulin, or had you been keeping it in storage in case you needed it? What shelf life does insulin have?

Interestingly enough. I just got a new batch of Novorapid. With the correct storage it's shelf life is 01/2018!! So probably about 18 months?!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Oldvatr
Just to add. Looking at my Lantus? It's October 2018.
So your looking at surviving a "zombie apocolyse" providing one can keep the fridge running...

Hi @toripf

How long have been diagnosed T1?

westwoodsa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Why have you not been taking any insulin for a year? Surely type 1 would be in serious trouble I know I would be would love to know your reason

Reactions: 4 people

Charlie145

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For one why haven't you been taking it and two you could end up in hospital having a dka which I did a few weeks back for not taking my insulin properly

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel that if relatively newly diagnosed in the "honeymoon" period? The OP might get away with it?? Though not do so well with the A1c....
It's been nearly 3 days since feedback from the OP. Regardless of the "anxiety" she reports to have. o_O

I guess she was "freaking us out" for no reason....?!! ;)

toripf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I feel that if relatively newly diagnosed in the "honeymoon" period? The OP might get away with it?? Though not do so well with the A1c....
It's been nearly 3 days since feedback from the OP. Regardless of the "anxiety" she reports to have. o_O

I guess she was "freaking us out" for no reason....?!! ;)

Hello, sorry for inactivity! I have issues with the app? :/ But I check before each meal and my levels are always good. I have been diabetic for 2 1/2 years now and never had an A1C higher than 6.4! My doctor knows all of what is going on and just says my pancreas still produces a little insulin and that along with daily/weekly exercise and vegan, healthy diet has controlled well. I don't know what it is to be honest, but, I'm not complaining lol.

toripf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For one why haven't you been taking it and two you could end up in hospital having a dka which I did a few weeks back for not taking my insulin properly

I control my levels through daily exercise and a healthy/vegan diet. Normally if I take insulin after a meal, it just drops my sugar every time. My doctor knows of all of it and just thinks it's still honeymoon phase.

toripf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Why have you not been taking any insulin for a year? Surely type 1 would be in serious trouble I know I would be would love to know your reason

Right?! You sure would think so. But, somehow I have been totally fine other than the occasional drop. For about a year after my diagnosis, I was still eating unhealthy, never exercising or anything of the sort. I took four shots a day. I then began daily exercise and healthy eating (now vegan) and the insulin taking just slowly drifted away to the point where I am now.

toripf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there @toripf Welcome to the forum. Are you testing your blood glucose levels regularly so around 6 times a day ? How are you managing without taking insulin ? If you have taken insulin then you should monitor your levels to check you don't run low, this should help lessen any anxieties you have as by doing so you will then know what the effects are.

Thank you for your feedback!! I check around 2-4 times daily, after waking up and before meals or any time I feel low. Levels are always anywhere from 80-120 without insulin.

toripf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Why have you not take insulin for a year? Have you not needed to?

When you decided to take 4 units did you test your bg first?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

I haven't! It's as if my bgs are typically lower than higher, even without insulin. The highest it's been in the past year or so was about 150.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't! My doctor always has/had me checking before meals.

Hi,

It's always wise to test around the two hour mark after a meal to determine the effects of the food on the BS? Plus with regards of the action to any insulin dosed... ;)

Reactions: 4 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't! My doctor always has/had me checking before meals.

It may be wise to include some after meal tests. When I was first diagnosed, I was told to test before meals and only later did I discover I was actually going far too high after eating. Eg a great 3.8 before lunch but 13 two hours after breakfast.

toripf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It may be wise to include some after meal tests. When I was first diagnosed, I was told to test before meals and only later did I discover I was actually going far too high after eating. Eg a great 3.8 before lunch but 13 two hours after breakfast.
Ohhhhh! I see, that definitely makes sense. I took the advice just to see and had a 30g carb snack with 15g sugar and checked about an hour & 30 mins later and my BG was 87.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app