Any parents with kids using freestyle libre?

brokenheart

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone - mum to a beautiful daughter with type 1 diabetes. are there any parents here whose kids use the freestyle libre? It seems expensive but for the benefit looks quite good but just want to be sure before I buy x thanks x

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Our daughter was diagnosed in February and has a tough time with her blood sugars in a morning. We were contemplating purchasing a libre but like you say it's quite expensive.

I spoke to the DN to see what her thoughts were and it turns out our hospital offers a 2 week 'try before you buy' trial. You have to go on a waiting list but it does save the initial pay out if you decide it's not for you. It may be worth asking if your hospital do the same.

Ellie goes for hers to be fitted in the 28th of this month, she's a bit nervous about it but only time will tell if it will make things a bit easier for her

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 7 people

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes was given a free one to try by the rep. After a lot of dancing round I finally got it on her (she.s 9) and she loved it. So easy to use ...not so good if you go really low as its 15 mins behind but really useful graphs and things can be downloaded at end of fortnight anda predicted hba1c

Reactions: 4 people

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @bobcurly can your daughter be funded for cgm? My 2yr old is about to go on this week but not the libre-one that links with her pump. Does your daughter get hypo warning signs?

I'm currently deciding on the libre for myself but my first experience wasn't great as it came off plus it is very expensive. I've been type1 since I was 2 too with good control until I had baby twins and my 2yr old was diagnosed t1!

You could always do 2 weeks at a time and see if it's helping? ....

Reactions: 4 people

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi everyone - mum to a beautiful daughter with type 1 diabetes. are there any parents here whose kids use the freestyle libre? It seems expensive but for the benefit looks quite good but just want to be sure before I buy x thanks x
My son is starting his 2 week trial tomorrow. Will let you know how he gets on

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
My son has had two sensors now neither lasted 24 hours, really disappointed

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Niamh is trialling the libre at the moment, we are on day 9, we have had no issues at all. It's been really accurate and it gives us a real insight in to what is going on during periods where we think she's fine! Definitely seeing trends appear. On average we have saved about 5 finger pricks per day which is good for her little fingers..
It's a from us

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Niamh is trialling the libre at the moment, we are on day 9, we have had no issues at all. It's been really accurate and it gives us a real insight in to what is going on during periods where we think she's fine! Definitely seeing trends appear. On average we have saved about 5 finger pricks per day which is good for her little fingers..
It's a from us

I'm starting to get really worried about Ellie starting hers next week .

You hear and read so many positive and negative experiences of people using it that my head is just going round in circles and I keep thinking 'what if'

What if this is the best thing that's happened for her since diagnosis?
What if she doesn't like it?
What if I put her through the next few weeks and it just doesn't work well for her?

Guess only time will tell

gerosb01

My son aged 8 uses it. Diagnosed in oct 15 and been using libre since april. Its a great tool as arrows show u if they are steady or bloods going up /down. It sometimes reads higher/lower when out of range but then we do a blood glucose to get exact reading. It has helped us catch lows before they happen and is great for out and about. We have always got the full 14 days out of the sensors.We fund it ourselves using his dla money. Good luck xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I purchased this for my newly diagnosed 14 year old son. We have had a few discs that fell off and at £65 approx per disc it was quite upsetting. The company were fantastic and rapidly replaced them free of charge asking only that we return the faulty ones to be investigated. The freestyle libre is only slightly lower readings from his other blood prick readers. It gives my son a huge amount of control and freedom. The ability to see at a glance what is happening is fabulous. Should be available on NHS especially to the young.

JoJoCar

Type of diabetes
Carer
Does anyone have experience of the libre and sport? I would really like to know how whether it is suitable for a child doing a lot of sport. This would include a one hour sessions in the pool twice a week?

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes my daughter swims but we cover it with tegaderm as she often knocks it in her rush to get changed

MaisyMoo10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My 5year old daughter was diagnosed in January we've self funded the libre since late February and it's made a huge difference to her life, it also helps schools and any coaches if they have after school sports activities. Tho the libre isn't for everyone for us it's helped us and our daughter massively. We'd recommend you giving it a go.

mabbas

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a free sample of freestyle libre 3 days ago; today my 7 yrs type 1 son was having his swimming class for one hour, sensor was working good during class i chked 2 times , but one hour after its sticked out ; any advice for protection during pool time ?

Jmeechan

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi, I purchased this for my newly diagnosed 14 year old son. We have had a few discs that fell off and at £65 approx per disc it was quite upsetting. The company were fantastic and rapidly replaced them free of charge asking only that we return the faulty ones to be investigated. The freestyle libre is only slightly lower readings from his other blood prick readers. It gives my son a huge amount of control and freedom. The ability to see at a glance what is happening is fabulous. Should be available on NHS especially to the young.
Hi I have just received our third one and I'm worried it is going to fall off again. Did you use anything on the skin beforehand?

mabbas

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
@Layah2013 could u please send me the amazin link for this product, i will be highly appreciated

Tag added by mod to alert member

Last edited by a moderator:

eddieoxox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Bit late joining this..We are living in Germany and have been using the freestyle liber for around 6 months ..so handy when swimming etc..was expensive. Especially when the other brother pulled it off. Make sure you cover it with a good plaster or equivalent to stop it getting caught in clothes etc..but highly recommend it.