Sugar free soft drinks / mixers with NO ASPARTAME!

jshire

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
hope you don't all mind me coming in on this thread. As some of you might have seen on my other post i'm not diabetic & not pre-diabetic either, but all the recent health issues that at first pointed to that has given me a bit of a kick up the.... so i'm looking at my diet a bit more. I'm rather odd when it comes to drink - i'm t-total but don't drink warm drinks, milk or water (it makes me feel sick) & my drinking habit are almost 100% orange juice (watered down) & an occasional can ok coke (the normal one). I've researched a fair bit & there seems to be some comment that diet drinks actually cause an increase in chances of diabetes rather than reduce it ! Has anyone else read that research & have any comments ?

despite that I am thinking I should add a diet soft drink to my daily intake rather than the coke & as much of the orange juice. So any suggestions for lemonade for example - I have heard Asda score quite high on taste & not using various other iffy sweeteners. ta.

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sainsburrys no added sugar or diet drinks contain sugrolouse (excuse the spellings) no artificial stuff I like there diet lemonade, and flavoured waters are really nice.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There was a piece in Time magazine, saying that research now shows that artificial sweeteners are worse for making you fat. Basically if your body puts out insulin in response to the sweet taste on your tongue but doesn't get any sugar, the raised insulin makes you hungry. Dr Robert Lustig MD covers this in his book. 'Fat Chance' and there's a study out there somewhere which showed that kids given diet soda before lunch eat more.

mousemat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'd put in a word for low alcohol drinks ..you Coz. Usually get one in a pub and it doesn't make you feel so different, or too young.

The ingredients are low in sugar, and I find them better than RedBull, Diet Coke and Supemarket fizzies.

Favourite us Clausthaler,followed by Becks Blue.

Anyone who likes a stronger tasting drunk - Bavaria. Which can be quite cheap.

But there's quite a few around now-so different from the days that there was only Pils.

Here's a site which gives all the low alchol beers and it gives a nutritional information for sugar:

http://www.alcoholfree.co.uk/lagers-c-2_65_67.html

maryphill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lime cordial has either sugar or aspartame in it.
I asked for a soda and lime and when they found they did not have any lime cordial ( and its sugars) they popped a wedge of fresh lime in instead, it worked for me.

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
If you are able to import from "the colony" (Canada), we have
http://www.sunrype.ca/products/slim-lemon-drop-lemonade
Made in Canada. No Aspartame.
You would have to buy from a retailer as the manufacturer does not sell directly and I could not see if it was available across the pond. I think on Canada and USA. Don't know if it would be on a prohibited import product list or not, or if you want to pay the shipping costs :)
My drink of choice.
Sunrype-Lemonade-1Sugar.jpg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am sure asda do not used them in there own brands, think it changed when walmart bought them, but someone can correct me
Asda own brand drinks and food products that proclaim no sugar or no added sugar contain aspartame...I know because I was checking labels last week. Stevia (I think that's spelt right) seems to be ok.

I have a fruit infusion bottle, available from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Babz-Infus...1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469130301&sr=8-1&keywords=babz

I put a combination for frozen and fresh fruit in it with ordinary tap water, pop it in the fridge. Fruit flavoured water with non of the additives.

Saramel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aspartame gives me headaches and I can't stand Stevia. I drink a lot of Sparkling Water on it's on but when I fancy a bit of flavour, I add cucumber and leave it to soak for a while. I think the taste is really refreshing. You can do it with fruits too and the taste infuses without much of the sugar.

Reactions: 2 people

PCS1949

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
BBC's Trust Me I am a Doctor showed that artificial sweeteners can raise you blood sugars levels as badly or worse than sugar but that stevia did not. I use soda water to which I add PLJ (Lime or Lemon). I sweeten it with a few drops stevia glycerite. With ice and a slice of lemon or lime its a great thirst quencher. It's ok to add Gin or vodka. Alternatively I buy Stur water enhancers which can be bought online only. They are sweetened with stevia a available in lots of flavours. I add to water or soda water. I've not yet found a satisfactory sugar and artificial sweetener free tonic water but there are recipes available to make your own. I do resort to Fever Tree Naturally light Tonic because I need the quinine to combat the night cramps from which I have suffered since I embarked on a LCHF diet six months ago.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do resort to Fever Tree Naturally light Tonic because I need the quinine to combat the night cramps from which I have suffered since I embarked on a LCHF diet six months ago.

The cramps should go away if you ensure you get enough magnesium, potassium and salt. You can also drink bonebroth daily, which helps. There are recipes all over the internet for LC bone broth, which provides the minerals that prevent the cramping.

Personally, I supplement with magnesium and potassium (haven't had a cramp since I started), and I make sure I drink a cup of broth daily, whether it is from a stock cube, bovril, or home made bone broth.

Hope that helps. :)

Katie43M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everybody. I'm new to diabetes but if you are having problems finding aspartame free drinks and mixers try researching soda stream products. They contain no aspartame, ate sweetened with acesulphame K and sucralose (Splenda) and use sucrose not high fructose corn syrup in standard flavours. They also do diet mixers. I have used it for years and their zero flavours are a scummy! Well worth the investment! Kate

LezLezLez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Vimto Zero uses sucrolose, my favourite fizzy :) I really hope they never change to aspartame, I'd hate to have to give it up completely! As it is I only have it occasionally, don't really like using any sweeteners, but needs must, especially for mixers! I wonder if Vimto goes well with vodka? ;)
Hi, Thanks for that comment - I will check out Vimto myself, I used to drink it as a child. Also - is Vimto acidic? I drank Diet Coke for many years and then found the enamel on my teeth was disappearing! Then I tried Xylitol as sugar substitute but now read that to go on seeking sweetness is the wrong approach and we should all try and re-tune our bodies to expect non-sweet foods and drinks So, as well as no sugar / no sweeteners, I now am looking for non-acidic! Oh dear.

sue1309

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
False, patronising people who assume they know everything about me!
BBC's Trust Me I am a Doctor showed that artificial sweeteners can raise you blood sugars levels as badly or worse than sugar but that stevia did not. I use soda water to which I add PLJ (Lime or Lemon). I sweeten it with a few drops stevia glycerite. With ice and a slice of lemon or lime its a great thirst quencher. It's ok to add Gin or vodka. Alternatively I buy Stur water enhancers which can be bought online only. They are sweetened with stevia a available in lots of flavours. I add to water or soda water. I've not yet found a satisfactory sugar and artificial sweetener free tonic water but there are recipes available to make your own. I do resort to Fever Tree Naturally light Tonic because I need the quinine to combat the night cramps from which I have suffered since I embarked on a LCHF diet six months ago.

I have to admit I don't have this problem. I have drunk drinks with aspartame in for years - and I did cut it out for a time and didn't notice any difference. My bloods are normally between 5 and 8....with or without aspartame. XX

mandyle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found Fever Tree " Naturally Light Tonic water" . It does contain sugar but 55% less than its ordinary tonic. I have found this available on line or in my local Tesco store
Hi Rosie, I was so glad to see that you have found Fever Tree 'naturally Light Tonic water'. I have struggled to find a drink that has very little sugar in it. (I find Schwepps Tonic water too sweet, and wont drink the 'Slimline version due to artificial additives). Fever Tree has 3.8g carbs/100ml, whereas the Schwepps has 5.1g/100ml. It uses fructose, which yes is a sugar, but far less. I drink it as an alternative to alcohol if I need to....I drink my G&T as Gin and water (with a dash of freshly squeezed lemon on ice) - does me very well! Another good cool drink is ice cold water with a dash of freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice....I no longer like the sweet drinks!
Mandy

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
PLJ the old fashioned drink from 40 years ago is still around in lemon and also lime and we still buy this. Very tiny amount required in iced water:) terrific:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I have to admit I don't have this problem. I have drunk drinks with aspartame in for years - and I did cut it out for a time and didn't notice any difference. My bloods are normally between 5 and 8....with or without aspartame. XX
I agree with Sue. I gave up full sugar drinks many years agoin favour of diet drinks long before I was 'labelled' and have never had any problems. I now find myself deprived of soooo many other things I used to enjoy as part of my sentence which are most clearly not good for me any more why should I give these up also.
Just as a sanity check, I checked if any of the drinks I have in the fridge had Aspartame in it and found Aldi xero cola did, but Tesco Dandelion & Burdock and Ice Cream Soda doesn't, though I'm sure someone will now point out another reason why there are horrifically toxic!

sue1309

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
False, patronising people who assume they know everything about me!
I know Heretic1! I have decided that diabetes must live with ME not me live with IT! I do like the look of that Canadian lemon drink though.....and I've proved that a little 'normal' squash doesn't raise my blood glucose levels either. To deny yourself anything because it's 'bad for you' makes you crave it all the more! :cool: