Sugar free soft drinks / mixers with NO ASPARTAME!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm trying to find mixers, especially lemonade and tonic water, and other soft drinks that have no aspartame, and it's not easy, they all seem to use the stuff! I won't touch anything that contains aspartame, and have been through every sugar free lemonade and tonic water on the tesco website and every single one (apart from tesco cloudy lemonade) has aspartame!
I'm sure there must be some somewhere, and I know I'm not the only one here to not want any aspartame, so hoped we could list all the relevant drinks we know here?

Reactions: 4 people

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like yourself I also try my best to avoid Aspartame after I discovered the dangerous toxic propertied that this 'nasty cheap sugar substitute' does inside the human body when Aspartame gets warmed up inside the body.
It is very difficult to find alternatives but I found that 'Sainsbury's' cheap own brand Lemonade doesn't use Aspartame but instead uses 'Sucralose' which is considered as SAFE. Here in the UK it's a little more expensive than the cheaper alternatives costing 20p for a 2 litre bottle !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like yourself I also try my best to avoid Aspartame after I discovered the dangerous toxic propertied that this 'nasty cheap sugar substitute' does inside the human body when Aspartame gets warmed up inside the body.
It is very difficult to find alternatives but I found that 'Sainsbury's' cheap own brand Lemonade doesn't use Aspartame but instead uses 'Sucralose' which is considered as SAFE. Here in the UK it's more expensive that the cheaper alternatives costing 20p for a 2 litre bottle !!!!

There's no Sainsbury near me but will have a look if I go near any on my travels in the better weather, thanks :) There's only one supermarket near me, Morrisons about 8 miles away, will have a look tomorrow when I go to town to get my eyes tested and report back if I find any (Suitable drinks, not eyes!)

What annoys me is that there are so many people avoiding it now, but manufacturers won't take any notice! http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/04/16/aspartame-diet-soda.aspx

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
To be fair, Sucralose isn't a great deal better than Aspartame...

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lesser of two evils. I'd just like a gin and tonic, a vodka and lemonade or a barcadi and coke now and then with no aspartame or sugar, it doesn't seem a lot to ask. I have bottles of spirits just sitting there waiting for a suitable mixer :(

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Am sure asda do not used them in there own brands, think it changed when walmart bought them, but someone can correct me

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
@rowan shopping takes an age with all the label checking. I am considering putting a magnifying glass in my handbag as the damned writing is so small. No, that won't look eccentric at all. :wacky:

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't help with the sugar free/aspartame free softdrinks as such but as a G&T fan trying to cut back on artificial sweeteners I swapped to gin & soda with just a dash of tonic. I wasn't mad for it at first but now find that I much prefer it.

Reactions: 2 people

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't help with the sugar free/aspartame free softdrinks as such but as a G&T fan trying to cut back on artificial sweeteners I swapped to gin & soda with just a dash of tonic. I wasn't mad for it at first but now find that I much prefer it.

Perhaps an elderflower cordial (homemade with stevia)?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@rowan shopping takes an age with all the label checking. I am considering putting a magnifying glass in my handbag as the damned writing is so small. No, that won't look eccentric at all. :wacky:

I do my shopping online, much easier to see label info and I can add to the list throughout the week. But when I do go to the shop I can't read labels any more (I swear they're getting smaller!) and never remember to take reading glasses with me. The magnifying glass might be the answer ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/75-MM-HANDHELD-MAGNIFYING-GLASS-5X-HAND-MAGNIFIER-MAGNIFICATION-READING-TOOL-/151617751709?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item234d1f4a9d

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps an elderflower cordial (homemade with stevia)?

There's a thought! As a keen cook I was initially pretty bummed about going low carb but I think all of the necessary experimenting has reignited my interest :)

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
There's a thought! As a keen cook I was initially pretty bummed about going low carb but I think all of the necessary experimenting has reignited my interest :)
@Safi I get that. About 15 years ago I decided to go low fat as that was the trend then. I look at all my usual dishes, adapted them to low fat. I would serve them up to family and friends, not telling them it was low fat and they would be non the wiser. Now, I am looking at all my usual dishes and trying to work out how to cut the carbs and add some fat. I am not telling them this time either, and they will love it again.

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
rowan, I can't drink anything with aspartame as it gives me stomach problems. Lazybones has already mentioned Sainsbury's sucralose alternative but M&S also use sucralose as the sweetener in their diet coke and lemonades. I've bought from both, find them OK and better than that, they don't cause me any tummy problems :)

Bill

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Vimto Zero uses sucrolose, my favourite fizzy :) I really hope they never change to aspartame, I'd hate to have to give it up completely! As it is I only have it occasionally, don't really like using any sweeteners, but needs must, especially for mixers! I wonder if Vimto goes well with vodka? ;)

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the reply. Many of the problems associated with Aspartame were known when this sugar substitute was first devised in America (Notable that the sweetener formed a Toxic substance when warmed up by the body) but at the time this piece of information somehow was omitted from the manufacturer's declaration as to Aspartame's safety.
Since the findings were later challenged, there has been and still is multiple legal battles over this issue, and the manufacturer of Aspartame is currently desperately in the process of attempting to find another similar cheap alternative.
Whether the toxitivity of heated Aspartame inside the human body is actually a problem or not is also a matter for discussion, my thinking being that introducing any KNOW toxic substance surely must be avoided. The debate on Aspartame's safety continues.

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Vodka, lime & soda

Either small dash of lime cordial or squeeze of fresh lime.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went into Morrisons today and they have their own brand aspartame free tonic water and lemonade, so I got those.
I also saw a coke with green writing made with stevia, anyone here tried it?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
perhaps you could revert to the only cold drink available to me at diagnosis back in 1972 with no calories --- water !!