Lidl High Protein Low Carb Rolls

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
I just had one of these with some ham for my lunch....I am well impressed yes they are heavier and chewy but not unpaletable. lots of seeds in it. Anyway I could not find any nutritional info in store,
9.8g Carbs that will do me! anyone else tried these? do they affect your BG levels?
have removed link coz it not working.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Viv0147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
there isn't much I dislike maybe rude and aggressive people
Yes I get them but I find them very filling so I slice them in half so a slice of bread averages 16 carbs 1/2 a Lidl high protein roll about 5 carbs I also buy soy & linseed burgen = 9 carbs a slice

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
These are the nutritional details.

Lidl High Protein Rolls
Ingredients:
Water, Linseeds, Wheat Protein, Soya Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Sesame, Soybean Meal, Sunflower Seeds, Wheat Bran, Oat Fiber, Yeast, Salt, Colouring Spice Extracts (Curcuma).
Each roll is 112g
Nutritional Information:
Typical Values per 100g:
Energy 1194kJ/268kcal
Fat 13.4g
Of which saturates 0.4g
Carbohydrate 8.5g
Of which sugars 0.5g
Fibre 12.4g
Protein 26.7g
Salt 0.99g
Allergens:
For allergens see ingredients in bold.
May contain traces of milk and egg.

Sorry @Hpetal but your link won't load. I just get an error when I try.

I love them toasted. I buy 10 at a time, slice them in half and freeze them. Half a roll toasted with loads of butter (which melts right through) is delicious.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The intersting thing I find with them, it's that they soften with age rather than go hard. A day after I buy mine they are way easier to chew!

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
well i had that one and i had really bad stomach that night, whether it was that or the fried onions i had with my evening meal or just the med dodgey belly i really don't know. but will try them again.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The intersting thing I find with them, it's that they soften with age rather than go hard. A day after I buy mine they are way easier to chew!
If you wrap them in a piece of kitchen roll and pop them in the microwave for a short while they are even softer and much easier to chew :) I freeze mine and from frozen, I 'nuke' them for 1minute 30 seconds and they come out soft and very easy to chew. It's nice to eat them warm or you can allow them to cool. Even ones bought the same day and not frozen seem to benefit from the microwave thing...it just makes them softer and with the consistency of them, that can't be a bad thing ;) lol

Reactions: 6 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
well i had that one and i had really bad stomach that night, whether it was that or the fried onions i had with my evening meal or just the med dodgey belly i really don't know. but will try them again.
The rolls can have an effect on your tum if you are not used to them due to the high amount of seeds in them....very good for keeping your bowels moving but possibly a bit harsh if you haven't been used to high roughage of late. Try maybe having half a roll with plenty of butter on it until you get used to eating them. For most, they don't have any huge impact on BG so are worth persevering with. I eat at least one a day and sometimes two without any bad effects...other than being 'regular' which isn't a bad thing as before I started eating them I found I suffered badly with constipation :(...tmi I know but the rolls sorted that little issue out perfectly :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Almost every one of those ingredients would kill my stomach.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Usually when we buy them they are huge and dense and wonderful. Last week we went to a different Lidl and they were smaller, lightweight and a bit deformed looking. Still bought them obviously!

Hpetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cold weather!
thanks for the info Gezzabelle , will give it another go but alittle at a time. And thanks to everyone else too, it's very interesting how you all microwave the rolls.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love the lidl rolls and have them regularly, but have never tried microwaving them (I may do tomorrow now :))
On the subject of Lidl, I was in there today and they had what was described as a Low GI cob loaf. It's not exactly low carb (17g in a 40g slice) but I'm not on LCHF so thought I'd try it (purely in the interests of scientific research ;))
Just had a 40g slice with butter on and it was absolutely delicious. Just need to see how my blood reacts (I'm using a freestyle libre so will have an accurate picture in a few hours)

Edit with readings:

After 1/2 hour, it's looking good - before eating blood was 5.1, it's now 4.8 so it looks like it's definitely low GI. Sure it will start climbing soon so the question is how high will it go?

After 1 hour, blood has crept back up to 5.1, but is still showing no signs of spiking

1 1/2 hours and up to 5.4 - still only 0.3 up from where I started

1 3/4 hours now going up - 5.6 currently.

2 hours - still at 5.6 (hopefully it's peaked now)

2 1/4 hours - now dropped to 5.5 so it does look like 5.6 was the peak which is 0.5 up from where it started

2 hours 20 minutes - down to 5.4 now so definitely on the way down

It's been an interesting experiment - if I'd had the same amount of "normal" wholemeal bread, my blood would typically be lower than a 0.5 increase after 2 1/4 hours but it would have peaked much quicker and higher than 0.5 (probably 1 - 1.5 after 45 minutes) so my blood doesn't go as high but stays a bit up for a bit longer

Overall, I'd say it's something else I can add to my food "armoury" for occasional use. Normal disclaimer applies - everyone is different and your reaction may be different to mine :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @Gezzabelle , good to see you again! How you been?
Hi B...am okay thank you. Trying to cope with everything life is throwing at me right now. My husband has recently been diagnosed with stomach cancer and it has been a whirlwind of hospital appointments and tests/scans etc for the last couple of months. Results are now all in and he has to have chemo for 9 weeks starting August 2nd and then after a few weeks break to recover from it, he has to have major surgery to have his entire stomach removed!....followed by more chemo :( So life for me has been more about worrying about how to feed him and how I will feed him during chemo and after the surgery. My own health has been put on the back burner for a while with all this going on. Trying to stay on track with my eating but slipped a little. Am currently correcting that the best I can but it isn't easy with so much going on

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi B...am okay thank you. Trying to cope with everything life is throwing at me right now. My husband has recently been diagnosed with stomach cancer and it has been a whirlwind of hospital appointments and tests/scans etc for the last couple of months. Results are now all in and he has to have chemo for 9 weeks starting August 2nd and then after a few weeks break to recover from it, he has to have major surgery to have his entire stomach removed!....followed by more chemo :( So life for me has been more about worrying about how to feed him and how I will feed him during chemo and after the surgery. My own health has been put on the back burner for a while with all this going on. Trying to stay on track with my eating but slipped a little. Am currently correcting that the best I can but it isn't easy with so much going on

Oh my goodness, what a blow to both of you!
I am so sorry.
I hope the chemo and op goes well (as well as such things possibly can), and I completely understand your priorities at the moment.

Hug.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear that I hope all goes well with his treatment

goose64

begining to wonder if I'm the only person who didn't like them, found the texture weird & the taste strange

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
begining to wonder if I'm the only person who didn't like them, found the texture weird & the taste strange

:) Don't get me wrong, I love a good french baguette, croissant, bloomer, tiger bread, granary... would prefer any of them to a Lidl roll. But they spike me.

So do Burgen lower carb breads, and anything else I have tried. So I eat the Lidl rolls occasionally, because they are the only bread-like bread option I have (so far)

Hannah3003

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I have been to lidl but there were so many bread rolls I didn't know which one to choose from. Is it in the freshly baked section? Could anyone take a picture of one for me? Thankyou

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
They are in the fresh bakery section:

11098727_1581122835491748_1539669111_n.jpg