Getting an insulin pump.

MegMeek19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys my name is Meg, I'm 19. I've been fighting for 3 years to get an insulin pump, finally I'm getting one! Is there any advice or tips for getting one I should know? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @MegMeek19 :)

Would you like me to move your thread into the Pump section where you may get more replies?

I have a pump. My advice is to get the book Pumping Insulin, to test lots so you can see what's hapoening to your blood sugar over 24 hours, and to keep in mind that it may take a few weeks to tweak your insulin to get the best results so be prepared for that.

You could also look on YouTube for some pump videos of the pump you're getting - things like changing the cannula, filling the reservoir, etc.

Which pump are you getting?

MegMeek19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya yeah please that would be great! I'm getting the Medtronic mini med in pink in the next couple of weeks ☺️

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya yeah please that would be great! I'm getting the Medtronic mini med in pink in the next couple of weeks ☺️

Moved for you @MegMeek19 :)

There are a number of people here with the Medtronic. I think @Juicyj might have one, and there are other members too.

My pump is an Animas Vibe and it's blue. Pink was my second choice. Colour is important when you wear something 24 hrs a day, I think.

I found it took me a few days to get used to wearing the pump (I've had one for 12 years) At first I was worried about the cannula and I kept thinking I'd knock it or damage it so I was really aware of it all the time, but that stopped after a few days and I didn't even notice it.

I thought of another tip - take pen and paper to your pump training session. It's easy to forget things when you get home!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @MegMeek19 Well done on getting this - that's great news.

I use the mini med, I keep mine in a pouch round my waist so it stays near my tum, I wear alot of jeans so it tucks in under my top then, you can clip it to your jeans or under a bra strap, it's finding what is comfortable for you, I find exercise is easy with this as it goes under my gym bottoms and stays well tucked in. I forgot a few things from training so learnt with a medtronic rep over the phone which helped, but definately take notes and also contact details for your rep as they can speak with you over the phone if you need help. Also shout here too, it takes no time in getting used to using the pump and good luck ;)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is there any advice or tips for getting one I should know? Thanks

Second the suggestion about the book Pumping Insulin, it's a must read for anyone moving over to a pump.

Once you start pumping insulin it might take a few weeks to get the basal rates right so don't get disheartened during this time, good luck and hope it all works out well @MegMeek19.

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Hi Meg, I'm a beginner on the pump at 4 weeks and I'm still working on my basal rates partly due to my working shifts but taking ones time and doing your alterations step by step, and keeping everything thing recorded on paper does help.

On another note please question and compare your Carb ratios and total basal dose with your current regimen. The reason i say this is i may have been able to get better results quicker had i questioned these settings with the rep which were generated by a computer program.

My basal was set nearly double than when on injections but now I've got it down lower pre the pump and thankfully the Dawn Phenomenon i was suffering from hasn't reared its ugly head.

I dont mean to frighten you just hope that you will question any big hike in insulin delivery.

I'm well chuffed with my pump which is the MiniMed 640G, it's manual is easy to read too.
Can i also recommend another book called "Think like a Pancreas" by Gary Scheiner. I have just started reading it having only just bought it, It comes well recommended by people on this website.
I wear my pump around my neck during the day and clip it to my waist band when sleeping and haven't come across any problems.

Filling the reservoir and fitting the infusion set is really easy though at first you may think its a little time consuming, infact you will do all this in a blink of an eye.

Regards

Martin

Sent from my D6503 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Gemarky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Martin....does your pump allow you to set different basal rates.....this is perfect for shift work?

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Yes it does, but i want to get a decent base line and one without hypo's / lows first before i do any basal testing and then set up a basal rate specifically for my shift patterns.

Regards

Martin