First time testing

macdeut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So my Codefree came in the post today, which really surprised me as only ordered yesterday. Anyway decided I wanted to make sure I could use the thing and see if it was going to be sore. So although it was 3 hours after breakfast and not to I have just done my first test. Reading of 5.1. Not sure if this is good or not as it was 3 hours after food but first test now out of the way. Thatvwas after breakfast of porridge, no sugar added and. Slice of rye bread.

macdeut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks saw it was in the right range for pre-food, as I won't test again before lunch. Not on medication, and hope to keep it that way if possible.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So my Codefree came in the post today, which really surprised me as only ordered yesterday. Anyway decided I wanted to make sure I could use the thing and see if it was going to be sore. So although it was 3 hours after breakfast and not to I have just done my first test. Reading of 5.1. Not sure if this is good or not as it was 3 hours after food but first test now out of the way. Thatvwas after breakfast of porridge, no sugar added and. Slice of rye bread.

On first look that would be a good reading.
But, (isn't there always a but?) After three hours most people would be back to around normal.
The two hour readings would give you more of an idea of what is going on.
The monitor is used to see what foods you can or cannot tolerate.
It is also used to see trends, especially if you have a food diary, where you can see the difference in what you are eating after a few months if your glucose resistance is better. It is also useful to show your dsn/gps.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't forget to keep a food diary including portion sizes and record your levels alongside. This way you can see patterns emerging. Next time you have the same meal, reduce the carb portion size and see if it is better. Keep doing this until it is where you want it to be, and bingo, you know what portion size you can eat. It may be that portion size is zero of course!

Once you get going and begin to understand what is happening, you can if you wish test at an hour and at 90 minutes to try to catch your peak. If you find your 2 hour reading is a bit high, test again half hourly until you are happy. It is all trial and error, and the most annoying thing is you can have 2 identical meals in every sense and get totally different readings. Diabetes is a mystery. :)

macdeut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, school holidays at moment make planning lunch easier but not sure what I will eat when schools go back.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, school holidays at moment make planning lunch easier but not sure what I will eat when schools go back.

By the time schools go back you should have a much better idea and can take your own packed lunches if necessary.

macdeut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to anyway, it's just usually had carb based e.g. A sandwich. Often will spend lunchtime travelling between schools and then grab a quick sandwich so need to think of alternatives. May try salads until winter kicks in. Three weeks till schools go back to get my head around it.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Salads are good but watch out for the dressings!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to anyway, it's just usually had carb based e.g. A sandwich. Often will spend lunchtime travelling between schools and then grab a quick sandwich so need to think of alternatives. May try salads until winter kicks in. Three weeks till schools go back to get my head around it.

Tinned salmon or tuna, cherry toms, cold meats, eggs, to name a few. Winter time home made soup is a good standby. Lidl high protein rolls are very popular too - about 8g carbs per roll. You'll manage. ;)

macdeut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks its complicated as I am vegetarian and severely allergic to all fish and seafoods. Also lactose intolerant but use almond milk - unsweetened.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have bought the lidl rolls, halved and frozen them to try over weekend.

Do you eat butter? Toast half and add loads and loads of butter. It melts right through to the base and is delicious.

I saw someone on another thread saying after defrosting, if you are going to eat one untoasted, stick it in the microwave for a short time as this softens them so they are less chewy. Never tried it myself.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I'm a lifelong vegetarian. It's fairly straightforward to low carb.