People on CGMS/Libre: What is your target range and what % of the time do you spend there?

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just curious after looking at my history on my Libre. After a period of bad control for a couple of weeks due to (not quite resolved yet) basal issues, I discovered that I spent 85% of the time in target (4.5-8.5), 13% above target, and 2% below target. What's a realistic goal for the amount of time in the target range?

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I Guess your target range should be what you feel is achievable and realistic but still gives you good control. I set mine to 3.9-7.8 but I'm type 2

Reactions: 2 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
target is 4-10 and currently getting 90-95% because I'm low carbing. this has only been for the last week as I'm trying to get tighter control after a spell of burnout.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very curious to find out what people's target ranges are too!
But at the same time, I am very reluctant to put mine down. lol
The reason is that T1 and T2s on insulin, and T2s on other meds, or no meds, will have such different ranges and reasons for their ranges that they won't be comparable. Diet and carb control will also have a huge impact.

However, since I AM curious I have to provide the info, don't I?

I use a Libre.
Target range 4.5-7.5
Over the last 90 days I am in target 97%, high 2% and low 1% (I tend to live in the 5s and 6s)

Two weeks ago, I had 2 slices of wholemeal toast at breakfast (a wee test for myself) and my blood glucose rose to something like 14 and took 6 hours to drop back to its starting point.
- so to stay in target I have to keep to very low carb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I Guess your target range should be what you feel is achievable and realistic but still gives you good control. I set mine to 3.9-7.8 but I'm type 2
Thanks for sharing! I think 3.9 is a bit low for me, being a type 1. I have had trouble picking an upper limit, but 7.8 seems reasonable. My doctor suggested 8.5 as it gives me a bit more room to go high without over correcting and giving myself a hypo later.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
target is 4-10 and currently getting 90-95% because I'm low carbing. this has only been for the last week as I'm trying to get tighter control after a spell of burnout.
Thanks for sharing, I set my limits to 4-10 to see what would happen and found that like you I spent a high % of time in range (96% to be exact). I think 10 is a bit high for me so it was really encouraging to see that I spent so much time below it.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The reason is that T1 and T2s on insulin, and T2s on other meds, or no meds, will have such different ranges and reasons for their ranges that they won't be comparable. Diet and carb control will also have a huge impact.

I use a Libre.
Target range 4.5-7.5
Over the last 90 days I am in target 97%, high 2% and low 1%

Two weeks ago, I had 2 slices of wholemeal toast at breakfast (a wee test for myself) and my blood glucose rose to something like 14 and took 6 hours to drop back to its starting point.

Wow, that was impressive! But the toast part was a bit scary. I agree about the difference between type 1 and type 2. I find it interesting to see what sort of results other people get, especially other type 1's, and what their goals are. I'm getting a pump soon so I'm trying to re-evaluate targets. Thanks for sharing!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for sharing, I set my limits to 4-10 to see what would happen and found that like you I spent a high % of time in range (96% to be exact). I think 10 is a bit high for me so it was really encouraging to see that I spent so much time below it.

Agreed i wouldnt want to be running at the upper side of that but it doews mean meal spikes stay within range normally. I actually reply on my predicted HBA1C more than targets wich over the last two days (only taking that day into account) have been 6.5 and 7.6 (I went to the cinema and had magnum and popcorn). I guess it depends what softwear youre using and how you approch it.

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine's 4.0 - 8.0 mmol/L

On a good week I'm in target for ~95% of the time with about 1-2% below and about 3-4% above (but always under 10) on a bad week it's more like ~85% in target with 3-4% below and 11-12% above.

I've had a couple of shaky weeks with various running injuries and endometriosis flare-ups and right now I'm 86% in target 4% below and 10% over though the below target stuff is all 3.6-3.9 so nothing major and the above target is all 10 and under so I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Oh well, things have improved the past couple of days and it's all part of the fun when someone presses the "random" button on my diabetes machine!

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agreed i wouldnt want to be running at the upper side of that but it doews mean meal spikes stay within range normally. I actually reply on my predicted HBA1C more than targets wich over the last two days (only taking that day into account) have been 6.5 and 7.6 (I went to the cinema and had magnum and popcorn). I guess it depends what softwear youre using and how you approch it.

I have used the Libre software, which decided that my estimated HbA1c was 6.2 (compared to my actual result about a month ago of 5.3) I think both targets and software are important. I've found the software helpful, but personally prefer to use the target range.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine's 4.0 - 8.0 mmol/L

On a good week I'm in target for ~95% of the time with about 1-2% below and about 3-4% above (but always under 10) on a bad week it's more like ~85% in target with 3-4% below and 11-12% above.

I've had a couple of shaky weeks with various running injuries and endometriosis flare-ups and right now I'm 86% in target 4% below and 10% over though the below target stuff is all 3.6-3.9 so nothing major and the above target is all 10 and under so I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Oh well, things have improved the past couple of days and it's all part of the fun when someone presses the "random" button on my diabetes machine!

Thanks for sharing! Do you mind me asking whether you use a pump or MDI? I've been having some issues with high insulin sensitivity and am considering switching from MDI to a pump to possibly improve my control.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I go for between 4 and 8 as an acceptable range and overall, since I started uploading results automatically to NightScout, I'm there 90% of the time (over 5%, under 5%).

I consider between 5 and 7 to be bang on target, and I'm there 50% of the time. To try to spend more time in that range isn't realistic to my mind and would take over my life too much. (Using a pump).

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I go for between 4 and 8 as an acceptable range and overall, since I started uploading results automatically to NightScout, I'm there 90% of the time (over 5%, under 5%).

I consider between 5 and 7 to be bang on target, and I'm there 50% of the time. To try to spend more time in that range isn't realistic to my mind and would take over my life too much. (Using a pump).

Thanks for sharing! It seems like you spend a lot of time in your preferred 5-7 range which is great.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
4-7.2 for me.

46% of time in target, so a lot of work needed. If I could achieve a result of 85% in target - then I wouldn't be worried one bit. Well done:)

Reactions: 4 people

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I use a Libre.
Target range 4.5-7.5
Over the last 90 days I am in target 97%, high 2% and low 1% (I tend to live in the 5s and 6s)

I use a libre on and off.................on my 4th sensor after 4 months. I am type 2.

I keep changing the target range as each sensor is different - so I do a lot of fingerprick testing in the first few days to callibrate it. have had one that was about 0.5 under, one 0.5 over, one 1.5-2.0 over, but this one seems spot on. Have set this one as target 4.0 to 8.0, but struggling to stay low carb at the moment, so past 7 days, 22% over, 78% in target.

Overall past 90 days, 11% over, 87% in target, 2% under (but that was when it was falsely reading low).

Brunneria, I had sausage and bacon in a small white bap at the weekend.................sent me up to 14 as well. However, last night had a fry up with a whole slice of fried bread (white bread fried in butter and coconut oil)............only up from 5.5 to 7. The take home message for me is have loads of fat with any bread.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a libre on and off.................on my 4th sensor after 4 months. I am type 2.

I keep changing the target range as each sensor is different - so I do a lot of fingerprick testing in the first few days to callibrate it. have had one that was about 0.5 under, one 0.5 over, one 1.5-2.0 over, but this one seems spot on. Have set this one as target 4.0 to 8.0, but struggling to stay low carb at the moment, so past 7 days, 22% over, 78% in target.

Overall past 90 days, 11% over, 87% in target, 2% under (but that was when it was falsely reading low).

Brunneria, I had sausage and bacon in a small white bap at the weekend.................sent me up to 14 as well. However, last night had a fry up with a whole slice of fried bread (white bread fried in butter and coconut oil)............only up from 5.5 to 7. The take home message for me is have loads of fat with any bread.

Yes indeed. :) I can often get away with fried bread on a protein heavy breakfast (which is FAB!!!).
The 2xbrowntoast experiment was done just to see what happened, with a normal (miserly) smear of butter. lol. Just like 'normal' people would have for breakfast...

My Libre sensors seem to be astonishingly accurate, compared with the number of comments I read on here. Most are within 0.5 of a prick test reading, but it can take 24 hours for them to settle after activation.

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for sharing! Do you mind me asking whether you use a pump or MDI? I've been having some issues with high insulin sensitivity and am considering switching from MDI to a pump to possibly improve my control.

I'm on MDI I don't they'd give me a pump even if I wanted one as I don't meet any criteria :(

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
40a0e62c43918a6ffd1a7c221b0e975e.jpg

Last 3 months with range of 3.8 to 7.5
MDI, low carb, xDrip, sugar surfing

Reactions: 4 people

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
40a0e62c43918a6ffd1a7c221b0e975e.jpg

Last 3 months with range of 3.8 to 7.5
Low carb and xDrip sugar surfing

Thanks, this is cool! Which software did you use? Also why did you pick 3.8 as your lower limit, I've always been told that it's a bit low for a type 1?

Your standard deviation results are good! :)

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
4-7.2 for me.

46% of time in target, so a lot of work needed. If I could achieve a result of 85% in target - then I wouldn't be worried one bit. Well done:)
Thanks for sharing, seems like you have extremely tight control! Any reason you picked 7.2 specifically?