cured.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 423

Reedy600

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi

We have recently got our son the free style libre and it's a brilliant tool so much easier than finger prick testing every two hours

Mgrf76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have allergies to HRT patches , but have been using the libre since April with no problems whatsoever.
I have to say what a great little device this is. I have more control over my diabetes ( T2 ) and was only going to use it for a short while but have used it continuously since April. Still get a few surprises on foods that raise my sugar levels.
The device has enabled me to closely monitor my sugar levels and take action to reduce when necessary. As a result I am able to stay off meds ( my primary goal ) and no sore fingers!

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you to all who have responded regarding allergies to Elastoplast and other securing tapes. It would seem the Libre is less prone to cause an allergic reaction so I'm interested in giving this device a try although I don't envisage wearing a sensor continually, due to the high cost. However, once used, assuming I find it to be fairly accurate, I'll probably be reluctant to be without it ;)

Again, many thanks

NikiMilligan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I loved the Libre, but accuracy was lousy.

8 sensors and none of them was less than 1.5 mol low.

With Libre my perfect reading was LO, so no chance of ever knowing if I was, actually, going low!

knackered

I ordered mine today, two sensors and a new android phone for downloading the app onto ( needed a new phone anyway). Having decided to give it a go, I can't wait for it to turn up now and hopefully have the time of my life gradually building up a list of foods that will sort me out.

This has been a good thread for me, thanks.

Steve.

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It makes me sad to say that this is apparently not available in the States. Wah!

nikle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I even have reactions to Micropore, never mind conventional Elastoplast, but I've been absolutely fine with the Libre.
So far so good for me been in 4 days no obvious reaction I couldn't use the soft cannular on my pump which I think is Teflon

nikle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Had one for my 50th! So far comfort good, sensor sticking and no reaction! Readings vary from my Bayer contour but remember swapping from optium to contour and having same. DSN advice then was to just stick with one unless feeling symptoms not displayed. I would love a scientific test to know which company provide most accurate info though!

Russem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I ordered mine today, two sensors and a new android phone for downloading the app onto ( needed a new phone anyway). Having decided to give it a go, I can't wait for it to turn up now and hopefully have the time of my life gradually building up a list of foods that will sort me out.

This has been a good thread for me, thanks.

Steve.
I'm thinking of getting one as well, have been following this thread so look forward to hearing how you get on, good luck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I see the ads, read the Hype and buy the Libre Freestyle. First sensor fine and thought it was best thing since rice crispies, second £40 sensor did not work properly or atleast the monitor did not react as the first sensor did. Gave it a couple of days as the Co point out, first day not great. No joy so back to finger stabbing. Now this is where you either get the confidence on a very expensive new toy or not "customer service". I contact help by email with a promise of 48 hour answer. It took closer to 60 and it was not an answer but a cut and paste standard insult to ones inteligence that did not address the problem or give any further assitance. If this peice of kit is to be accepted as mainstream they have to get a return no quibble system or confidence in spending £40 a forthnight is not going to happen. I have lost it already and trying to get a refund

Reedy600

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I see the ads, read the Hype and buy the Libre Freestyle. First sensor fine and thought it was best thing since rice crispies, second £40 sensor did not work properly or atleast the monitor did not react as the first sensor did. Gave it a couple of days as the Co point out, first day not great. No joy so back to finger stabbing. Now this is where you either get the confidence on a very expensive new toy or not "customer service". I contact help by email with a promise of 48 hour answer. It took closer to 60 and it was not an answer but a cut and paste standard insult to ones inteligence that did not address the problem or give any further assitance. If this peice of kit is to be accepted as mainstream they have to get a return no quibble system or confidence in spending £40 a forthnight is not going to happen. I have lost it already and trying to get a refund
Hi

Sorry you having problems but where are you getting the sensors for that price

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
direct from Abbott, they are like £48 with VAT off at moment but I read they will be £40 soon if more people use them and I guess I was talking of the ongoing future of the product

Robyn89

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Will wait till the "live" guinea pigs come with some feedback before I rush in.
My son (5years old) who is a TD1 for 3 years has been on the pump for 2 years. He has recently been on a trial with the libres, they are great in the fact he was willing to do it himself, sometimes you may have to finger prick to verify if they go too high or low but you do get a great result with it as there is also an arrow which will direct you to how your sugars levels are doing, we ( including the health team) found we were able to make better adjustments to hs insulin levels at various times of the day which made a vast improvement on his overall Hb1c results also my son was happy to give his fingers a break. I hope this has helped to give you and many people and idea of how this all works.

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi one and all, I have just been put on a trial of the Freestyle Libre to see if I can get better control

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have never had an allergic skin reaction to any kind of adhesive or plaster in my life, but I get an awful reaction/burn when using the Libre and have to put a Compeed underneath in order to avoid it.

I tolerated the Libre fine until the 7th or 8th sensor, so those who have just started and don't have a reaction take note because it doesn't mean you won't get a reaction eventually when your body starts to rebel against it. I do wear them continuously without break so maybe having a gap between sensors would have been better.

Having said all that, Abbott announced on Twitter that they have been working on adhesive with an "extended waffle pattern for easier moisture flow and improved breathability" and that Libre sensors with this "improved adhesive" are now "making their way to customers".

I think I'll try my next one without Compeed and see how it goes. Has anyone noticed this new "waffle pattern" adhesive?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been wearing my latest Libre sensor for the last week or so. Unfortunately, over the weekend, it decided it was on Bank Holiday too - reading increasingly low, until it was pretty much flat lining. This morning I put a call in to the Service Desk.

After the usual questioning and validating, Abbott are replacing the sensor. They continue to e pretty straightforward about that. Me, being me, I was asking a few questions myself and I thought I'd share what transpired.

Firstly, having established the sensor is likely to expire, I was told to finger prick test when I felt it could be wonky (erm,........ I do that already), but not to wait 20 minutes to scan (I was told 20 minutes on a previous call), but to make it more like 10 minutes. Memo to self; scan at 10 and 20 minutes, in case this is just a variance between analysts.

Secondly, making chat, he asked why I didn't just always do the fingertip test with the reader/meter, so I explained I don't get those strips on prescription. I added it always irked me rather that having paid for a sensor, I then had to fork out more cash to help them assess it's viability status (by buying matching strips). He immediate asked if I would like to receives 10 complimentary strips - the maximum he was able to offer. Naturally I accepted. This is great news and is in line with what I asked them to consider when I was in email discussion with the UK Customer Services Manager, earlier in the year. Obviously, I have accepted the strips, but that feels like a good move forward by Abbott. Even if an individual uses these strips already, why should the NHS pay for Abbott's investigations into a probably defect? (Rhetorical)

And thirdly, going through all the checks for sensor age (has it gone past expiry date), sensor location, and so on, I mentioned I usually applied the sensor then left it 48 hours, prior to activation. He said they had been told, by the Quality Manager, we should not be doing this, but waiting a maximum of a few hours - certainly less that 24. He did acknowledge this was a change in Abbott's stance.

I'm not telling anyone how to manage/apply their sensors or conduct any support calls you may make, just feeding back for you guys should any of the foregoing be news to you.

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I with others were given the meter and 1 sensor we also were given a pamphlet asking our GP to prescribe the test strips for the Abbott meter .We were also told that Abbott will quiz you for a first faulty sensor and ask even more questions for a "second request" for another "faulty"sensor . The device works very well with only 10% discrepancy in reading using my Aviva expert meter.Not bad but the cost of the sensors are out of my reach

RogerRam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm toying with the idea of buying the Abbot Freestyle Libre system over here in France where we are retired. I've been type 1 for 51 years, on NovoRapid & Glargine & using an Accu-Chek Mobile to monitor blood-sugars. Low-carb diet also.

I have a carte vitale ALD that means I do not pay for insulin or the mobile cassettes, although I guess I would have to pay for the Freestyle stuff.

My BS averages are within the normal range BUT but I do have fairly unpredictable changes depending on the weather (!) & the amount of heavy work I do. Although retired, we have a large garden & soil preparation can be hard work. Not had rain in weeks & using an SDS Max drill with a spade fitted to dig a hole in our rock-hard clay soil for a new apple tree! Rather concerned about unexpected hypos & having to correct them....

Would appreciate any thoughts, advice etc...I remember someone posting about using a CGM here in France but can't find their post.

All the best,

Roger