OK HERE S A QUESTION NO ONE WILL BE ABLE TO ANSWER....

I

itp3asso

TELL ME A FULL DETAILED WEEKLY DIET IF THINGS I SHOULD EAT TO GUARANTEE MY OREDIABETES DUSSAPPERS

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you could do that, you'd be a very wealthy person.........

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
TELL ME A FULL DETAILED WEEKLY DIET IF THINGS I SHOULD EAT TO GUARANTEE MY OREDIABETES DUSSAPPERS

What's your HbA1C?

What kind of things do you normally eat? Are you trying to lose weight?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Why are you shouting ? you do know uppercase lettering is shouting :(

Reactions: 2 people
I

itp3asso

What's your HbA1C?

What kind of things do you normally eat? Are you trying to lose weight?

a) no idea

b) boiled veg , the odd boiled potato , grilled steak, boil in the bag fish, chicken thighs, tomatoes onions cream crackers eggs avocado porridge yoghurt and one apple
not necessarily in that order or in one sitting.

I also drink two one litre bottles of tap water a day laced with one sixth scotch just to give it some taste.

c) ideally but as yet without success . 1.75m 95 kgs . BMI 31.7

Fir 14 years on bp and chol meds -- both under controll . Prediabetes diagnosed last week but Danger readings escalating for about two years.

Bluebell_GB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bin the potatoes, crackers, and porridge and make sure the yoghurt is full fat and you will be most of the way there. However, unless you know your HbA1c you don't know how serious your diabetes really is and unless you measure your blood glucose you won't know how various foods affect you. You need to search this forum for LCHF to educate yourself and take control of your life. No-one else can do that for you.

Regards

Bluebell

I

itp3asso

Bin the potatoes, crackers, and porridge and make sure the yoghurt is full fat and you will be most of the way there. However, unless you know your HbA1c you don't know how serious your diabetes really is and unless you measure your blood glucose you won't know how various foods affect you. You need to search this forum for LCHF to educate yourself and take control of your life. No-one else can do that for you.

Regards

Bluebell

Cheers. Heartened you didn t tell me to bin the scotch......

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @itp3asso
welcome to the forum :)
I will tag @daisy1 to provide a fab starter pack of reading for anyone unsure of the way forward with diabetes.

unfortunately nobody can guarantee to you that pre-diabetes will disappear , but with a measured approach and sensible food choices you should be able to have a good lifestyle .

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@itp3asso

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Tell us a bit about yourself then we can help you. Have a look at the Low Carb Program. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to reply.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Thanks. Some of the links are missing .
thanks for letting us know
will tag @daisy1 to have a look

hi daisy -- the bottom 2 links did not work for me -- error 404

I

itp3asso

thanks for letting us know
will tag @daisy1 to have a look

hi daisy -- the bottom 2 links did not work for me -- error 404

I kniw I cannot drink bottled or draught lager or beer with prediab or indeed possibly progressing to fullblown Type 2.. But..... what about draught Guinnness? Nibody knows the secret formula and it kept me operative for 35 years on a daily intake with no sick leave, so who s to say the secret Irish ingredients will not be magically beneficisl even to this condition?

Or do I have to forego that pkeasure also ??

crisps&dip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
as you are also drinking nearly half a bottle of scotch per day you may find cutting that down will help

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
<snip>
I also drink two one litre bottles of tap water a day laced with one sixth scotch just to give it some taste.

I do hope that the "sixth" of scotch is a spirit measure (Google suggests perhaps 60ml) and not a sixth of a
litre (about 167 ml). About 335 ml of scotch a day is quite a lot!

Apart from anything else this messes with your liver's ability to process glucose in your blood stream, and can lead to a fatty liver which is not a good thing for diabetics.

I

itp3asso

I do hope that the "sixth" of scotch is a spirit measure (Google suggests perhaps 60ml) and not a sixth of a
litre (about 167 ml). About 335 ml of scotch a day is quite a lot!

Apart from anything else this messes with your liver's ability to process glucose in your blood stream, and can lead to a fatty liver which is not a good thing for diabetics.

The latter I m afraid. But my liver function has never been a problem nor my kidneys so at 69 I am either superhuman or they are both pickled beyond attack.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only