Not diagnosed (yet) but very high glucose level.

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing springs to mind :)
Hello everyone. I hope y'all doing good today :)

I have a question about my glucose levels.

Last week I had an bad asthma attack and was rushed to hospital. I cant remember much but one thing I did was the paramedic asking if I have diabetes after testing my glucose level which was 26mmol/L. I recovered from my attack quite quickly and I didn't really think too much of it until I got back home. I think I decided that it was something to do with the massive amount of asthma medication I had taken.

Anyway I have quite a lot going on in my life at the moment and I have had my bloods taken today at the local GP. Just out of curiosity I asked him to test my sugar level. It was 25. I asked if I could have a test kit to take home with me so I can monitor myself over the next few days. Very kindly he did give me one. So 1 hour ago I tested myself and it was 21.2.

Naturally I'm a little worried it could be diabetes. I'll get my blood test results tomorrow.

So my question is..... 26, 25 and 21.2mmol/L is pretty scarily high is it not? I have a friend who gets upset when his level goes anywhere above 180mg/dL which, if I have converted it properly is about 16mmol/L.

I just thought I'd post to see what you all have to say about it. So I'd really appreciate some input if you can spare a moment of your time. I'm quite happy to provide more information about me and my medications if needed.

Many thanks in advance.

Andrew. :)

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just to add.... I feel no diabetic related symptoms (that I'm aware of).

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are correct and you should make your doctor aware of these numbers as soon as possible. If a random test is carried out then anything over 11 should get your doctor's attention.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to add.... I feel no diabetic related symptoms (that I'm aware of).
That's the really scary thing about diabetes. It is estimated that there are about 600,000 people in the UK who are as yet undiagnosed and are not aware that anything is wrong.

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for your reply.

Yes my GP is aware. However he didn't appear to be too concerned after the asthma attack. I could have understood if it was my asthma meds which put it sky high. But now, over a week later and I get 25 this morning and 21 tonight I'm a bit on edge. When I went to see the nurse today to get my bloods taken for the tests he didn't seem to concerned either. Although both Doctor and Nurse did admit it was pretty high.

So whats too/dangerously high? I would have thought 21 is enough to worry about.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, those are high results. Did you doctor suggest any reason (apart from diabetes)?

Are you taking steroids for your asthma?

When exactly did you do your tests at home eg ten minutes after lunch, three hours after breakfast or whatever?

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks. No my doctor has not said what else it may be... I'm normally the one who tells him what I think may be wrong. I do far too much research on the web. :)

I am taking steroids (Clenil Beclometasone Dipropionate 100) but a very small dose and have been for years.

Last time I tested.. nearly 2 hours ago now was 6 hours after last meal. I'm still to have dinner tonight in about 30 mins.

Last edited by a moderator:

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm on 3 different antidepressant medications. 2 of which I have been taking for years. One (Mirtazapine) I started 3 weeks ago.
I have heard that Mirtazapine has been known to raise glucose levels but I dont know how much... surely not as much as my levels are.

Lately I have been feeling very apathetic.

I cant think of anything else which may be causing the high levels and apathy other than Anemia but I dont know enough about anemia to say if it raises sugar levels. I know anemia and diabetes can go hand in hand though.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hmm, they do,sound high. What I would do is test at specific times - as soon as you wake up, before meals and two hours after the start of meals (eg lunch starts 1pm, test at 3pm) That would give a good idea of what your blood sugar is doung during the day and how you're dealing with meals. I'd also write down what I ate too for each meal.

I haven't heard that anaemia is linked to diabetes.

As you've started a new medication recently, I'd ask about that too, in case it's causing issues.

So no real answer for you until you get your results from the doctor, but yes, those levels are above normal. Keep testing and make sure you're ready with questions when you get your results back.

Reactions: 2 people

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for all your help. I'm very grateful.

Am I allowed to post a link to a different website where an article about diabetes/anemia is?

And also.... are there any symptoms I should be on the look out for from now until speaking to the doctor tomorrow?

Thanks again. :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Those levels would concern me if I had them. To be honest if my doctor was not concerned that would bother me also and I would be seriously considering looking for a new doctor. Having consistently high blood sugar levels most definitely should be investigated.

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for your input JohnEGreen.

I still have not had my dinner yet but I just checked and it's 21.9. Although it's lower than before I'm starting to get worried. I dont feel ill in anyway and really dont want to call the out of hours doctor unless necessary but at the same time I dont want to risk anything bad happening tonight. Is there a certain point at which I should call for help? Any warning signs other than high levels?

Thanks again.

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Regarding the consistency I have only been measuring my sugar myself today since I returned home from the GP. Is that consistent? I do not know what my levels have been in-between now and when I was hospitalized a week ago. They may have been this high all week. I just do not know.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your input JohnEGreen.

I still have not had my dinner yet but I just checked and it's 21.9. Although it's lower than before I'm starting to get worried. I dont feel ill in anyway and really dont want to call the out of hours doctor unless necessary but at the same time I dont want to risk anything bad happening tonight. Is there a certain point at which I should call for help? Any warning signs other than high levels?

Thanks again.

If you're at all worried, you could call 111 for advice. Symptoms of high sugar are things like thirst, urinary frequency, etc You may also feel generally 'off'. However, if the sugar has been gradually rising, your body might have got used to high sugars and so you might feel fine.

Drink plenty of water so you don't get dehydrated and perhaps set your alarm to do a test in the night if it's concerning you. I'd also give your doctor a ring first thing whether your test results are back or not and say your blood sugar is consistently high and you're worried.

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks azure. Thirst has been an issue for me over the past 3 days. I have craved water with lots of ice and subsequently made many trips to the toilet, however thirst is a known side effect from Mirtazapine. But I have been on Mirtazapine for nearly 3 weeks now. The thirst was pretty bad for the first few days of taking Mirtazapine then seemed to go away but returned with a vengeance 3 days ago. May light headiness also be a symptom?

Sorry I'm asking all these questions... I could easily google them. I just feel better to get answers from the people who really know.

I'll take all your advice and thanks again everyone for your help. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Drinking a lot (polydypsia) and peeing a lot (polyuria) are symptoms of diabetes and for all I know could possibly be caused by other things also. My opinion is that the jury is no longer out and I have a verdict. It is said that this is the body's way of flushing out the sugar.

I don't know about the light headiness being a symptom of hyperglycemia but it certainly is for a hypo so I wouldn't be surprised.

All of this does not change the advice. You appear to have a problem and you need to tell someone and the sooner the better.

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello again everyone.

I have now been diagnosed with secondary diabetes. Apparently not type 1 although I do require insulin. Long appointments at the doctors and hospital today to get all the info I need and prescriptions. So I have all my kit and had my first injection today @ 18:30. I'm feeling fine about things. It was brewing for a while I think and in the back of my mind I knew that this was going to happen. After multiple episodes of Pancreatitis over the last two years I think it was inevitable. It's more of a relief to know whats been making my life so miserable over the last 2 months.

So I'm going to have to change a few profile details now and begin my new journey.

Once again I'd like to thank you all for your help and advice. :)

HbA1c was 95

Reactions: 4 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am glad you are now sorted and will be able to proceed in getting things under control I am sorry I didn't respond to your earlier post but was having a few issues to contend with.

Best of luck for the future diabetes is a long road to travel but it's best that you know the road your on if that makes sense

Regards John