Diabetes Reversal

Do you think type II diabetes can be reversed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Thank you. It is just how I feel about it.
Me too. There was a post further up about not being reversed unless you can eat so many hundred carbs. I wouldn't want to! Starch and sugar are just empty calories. Much healthier without them, diabetic or not, in my opinion.

Reactions: 4 people

doug_j

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you are concerned you could maybe start a new thread where people could offer suggestions based on your unique circumstances. You may be overlooked on this thread and miss out on advice. All the best :)
What do you mean start a new thread I thout it was open forum

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you mean start a new thread I thout it was open forum
I think what @Avocado Sevenfold meant was you could start a new thread with the title "LCHF hasn't worked for me", or something like that.. and we could maybe give you some advice on what to eat.. Assuming that you are open to such advice of course.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Me too. There was a post further up about not being reversed unless you can eat so many hundred carbs. I wouldn't want to! Starch and sugar are just empty calories. Much healthier without them, diabetic or not, in my opinion.
I was trying to emphasise that a lot of people consider themselves "cured" when in fact they're just not eating the carbs any more. No brainer, I don't eat the carbs, I don't need all the meds, I like my veg (minus the obvious). Like you I think people are better without so many carbs, obesity isn't just down to sugars, carbs are part of the story that Jamie Oliver hasn't got round to yet, bless him. LOL

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hand on heart, I can't say I don't touch starchy carbs. I eat potatoes in very small quantities most days of the week because my meter says I can and they are built in to my daily carb allowance, also half a Lidl roll most days, but I don't touch the rest.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I was trying to emphasise that a lot of people consider themselves "cured" when in fact they're just not eating the carbs any more. No brainer, I don't eat the carbs, I don't need all the meds, I like my veg (minus the obvious). Like you I think people are better without so many carbs, obesity isn't just down to sugars, carbs are part of the story that Jamie Oliver hasn't got round to yet, bless him. LOL
I agree. Which also goes back nicely to the previous posts about having no added sugar options in restaurants. It aint just the sugar. Do you remember when Davina McCall brought out a sugar free diet? It was a maple syrup-fest :dead:

I am personally not bothered by being classed as cured or in remission or reversed. A rose by any other name would smell as smelly.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I had a Chinese take away last night sweet and sour chicken in batter balls egg fried rice and chips and yes my BG went up fairly high but was back down to 6.0 after two hours but I still don't count my self as cured just in remission.

The reason for the take away was that the local take away does a special on Tuesdays 4 dishes for £13.00 and who can resist that. Back to normal low carb diet today though.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
another reversal thread...
it's all about definitions and timelines.... these are often sadly lacking in these discussions..
I absolutely agree.
We all need an individual plan. We are all at different places in their treatment.
We are wildly trying to make our condition better. Lets hope we aren't making it worse!
Timing in our plan could hold the key and make the difference between success and failure?

dc1408

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Every one appears to be different in this case. I'm an athletic "type 2"(likely genetic based insulin resistance, metformin does nothing for me), 5 foot 10 and 30 years old. Initial thoughts was that I was type one because of the circumstances, my build and symptoms, yet I lacked ketosis whilst eating carbs and my bloods later showed no autoimmune markers and a halving of my HBA1C when excluding carbs short term.

I currently run on a very low carb nutritional ketotic diet due to no resolve from multiple temporary low carb visceral fat diets to remedy my insulin resistance.

so in a nut shell, regardless of what comes from the endocrinologists as to wether i'm Mody, LADA or just plain type 2, I can't leave nutritional ketosis due to trial and error showing insulin resistance is prevalent and the effects. SO no, in my case it can't be cured but can be controlled through avoiding the instigator.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't really think that many of the non diabetics would want to give up the starchy and sugar stuff if they didn't have to. I was never big on the starchy or sweet stuff but I would still like to have the option to eat some if I fancied it like a jacket potato for lunch or a big bowl of tropical fruit salad .I was one of those people who never had a weight problem and I could eat anything and not put on any weight so of course I would love to be able to go back and do that again

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I don't really think that many of the non diabetics would want to give up the starchy and sugar stuff if they didn't have to. I was never big on the starchy or sweet stuff but I would still like to have the option to eat some if I fancied it like a jacket potato for lunch or a big bowl of tropical fruit salad .I was one of those people who never had a weight problem and I could eat anything and not put on any weight so of course I would love to be able to go back and do that again
My opinion was that there are better choices nutritionally than starch and sugar. Other people can eat what the like. I am not really bothered.

broomhill

I don't think type 2 can be reversed but can be controlled if you keeps to appropriate diet for ever, as soon as a lapse occurs diabetes will effect again

nemiabonny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think that I am the first unmedicated 25-year type 2 diabetic without any diabetes complications. I have never had a hypoglycemia episode. My first blood sugar reading was 468 mg/dl which was the basis of my diagnosis in July 1991. My meals have been mostly high carbs. It is very true that carbohydrates create high fasting and post-meal blood sugar highs but these highs are not harmful to me. Why? Maybe because I run the stairs a total of no less than 1 hour per day in 4 sessions. For about 2 years now, I have been having only 2 meals/day, no snacks since my diagnosis. I avoid soft and hard drinks, sugary, fatty, and salty foods. I measure my water consumption which I take between meals. I strongly believe that the bigger problem of type 2s is hypoglycemia and not hyperglycemia. I have a British friend who is a type 2 for 35 years and his only complications are neuropathy and retinopathy which according to him do not yet require medication. He has been on insulin since 1996 and had only very few hypos. From 1981 to 1996, he depended solely on diet control. During this time, he never had a single hypo problem.

Bonny Damocles
Male, 80 years old, 137 lbs., 5'7"
Past A1Cs: 5.2% - 6.3%
Not taking pharma drugs for any health problems

Steam Engineer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I managed to reverse my type 2 diabetes, after being diagnosed in October 2014, through diet and exercise, it took nearly five months to achieve it, and in that time I lost nearly sixty pounds in weight.
I have stuck to the diet and the exercise since then and kept the diabetes in remission as a result.
Now only have the annual checks to make sure that it stays in remission.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The two terms I use are remission and management.

I seem to be able to manage my diabetes on a LCHF diet. Through testing, it is clear that even though I have absolutely normal BG & A1C levels, it is only management by diet. The moment I return to a "normal" diet, the blood glucose numbers return to their diabetic levels. Managing is fine, but it doesn't give me the freedom that remission would.

I am moving toward remission (which I wouldn't quite call it reversal) on the Blood Sugar Diet. (Modeled after Dr. Taylor's work.) By remission I mean gone, with no dietary restrictions, for a long - possibly forever - period of time. Like remission in any other chronic illness. I have moved from diabetic to prediabetic (based on both OGTT and on response to consumed carbohydrates). Now that I'm past cancer treatment (which interrupted my 8-week trial diet), and am still in the "recently diagnosed" window where it is most effective, I'm trying again for at least 4 weeks - possibly 5 weeks. At which point I plan to take a much needed break to go diving. After that, we'll see.

My nurse told me if you had diabetes for years it can't be reversed
I have reversed mine. Was diagnosed in September last year. Have changed my diet and have lost 3 and a half stones in weight. Was taken off Metformin and my last test without medication was fine. Will still be checked periodically. I intend to keep doing what I have done.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The two terms I use are remission and management.

Managing is fine, but it doesn't give me the freedom that remission would.

By remission I mean gone, with no dietary restrictions, for a long - possibly forever - period of time. Like remission in any other chronic illness. .

I agree with your view on the difference between management and remission. My thoughts entirely.