What do you miss most from being diabetic

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey, I'm exactly with you on this. I've had 50 years of "freedom", and now have to consider anything I'm offered to eat and mostly say no to, where in the past would have wolfed a macaroon bar in seconds with nibbles and probably not so healthy eating at meal-times. Do you ever question what might have been more tolerable, as Tanni35 mentions?

It never occurred to me. But now that you mention it, I think I would not want to have had it from young. But if I had it, I'd probably think differently.

Well, I bought some egg tarts for my kid, and could not resist one, then it became two *argh*. Succumbing to such small portion temptations, give me a raise of about 0.5, temporarily. I am allowing myself these days such luxury, not often of course, as I feel I have good readings in general.

Reactions: 4 people

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Even before I realized I was diabetic, I realized that white bread made me very ill. I was staying at a B n B outside of Ravenna run by a rather young couple. They were very upset with me that I didn't fall in love with the fresh white bread they thought comprised breakfast along with stewed fruit. They had piled a buncha loaves on the table and thought that we could have hot chocolate with those. I couldn't have either and begged for a hard boiled egg and coffee. They called me a difficult foreigner in Italian and were downright hostile

I was the same type of difficult foreigner in the Middle East, eating Mutabbal, Labneh and tiny amounts of Hummus with vegetables and cutlery LOL

What do I miss mostly? Does my nickname give a clue? Munkkis are delicious, sweet Finnish buns with cardamon. I miss dark sourdough bread and baked cheesecake. I sometimes try little corners of things, snatching them from friends' plates, but the normal cakes do not taste good anymore. However, I will make a low carb cheesecake soon :hungry:

oopsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheese on toast, Cheese & crackers, Garlic bread with cheese.. (just call me an ex mouse) :)

Reactions: 2 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Cheese on toast, Cheese & crackers, Garlic bread with cheese.. (just call me an ex mouse) :)
I have cheese on toast quite often with low carb bread not a lot of carbs to speak of in most hard cheeses.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have thought it would be possible to have the cheesecake part of cheesecake, make it iwth fake sugar and maybe something like almond flour to hold the cheese together, bake it in the same kind of ceramic fluted flan pan like the original

Or maybe just something like crushed hazelnuts or other nuts as the vrust and pour in a mix with very little flour and bake it?

I loved baked cheesecake but not the no bake sort.

I made this last night. Will have the first slice today. Very interested to see how it turns out...
http://www.momlovesbaking.com/low-carb-strawberry-cheesecake/

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm .. what do I miss? Sleeping after meals, incessant toilet stops through the night, being constantly thirsty, guilt about my portions, hiding sweet wrappers, driving in winter with all the car windows open to get rid of the smell of chips. So do I miss anything really? Nah .. and as for treats I'd much prefer a new camera lens to a year's supply of custard slices

Reactions: 4 people

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
I think it would be easier if I could eat as much fruit as I would like to, also if I could eat salad vegetables instead of just beetroot and tomatoes which is down to the IBS as well.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I miss the days of ignorance - it was bliss!
I'd come to terms quite quickly that I was never going to be thin.
Walking around with bgs 20+ with ignorance of symptoms up until I was 32yr old.
Thrush, thirst, carb craving and tiredness was normal. My normal, I'd had it in different severities for 26yrs prior.
I was so very very lucky. I know that.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I still eat what I want it's just that what I want has changed.

Chris Thailand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What do I miss? Not so much really as I work on the realization that I can eat whatever I want, tomorrow.
And that works for me.
That said, I do sometimes take myself up on that and splurge but, most times, waiting until tomorrow works just fine.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Green food, meds, insomnia, reactionary politics
I'm a grazer, I snack all throughout the day. People joke I could never be a gynaecologist because I eat whatever's in front of me. What I wouldn't give to do that without worrying.

AmandaD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't really miss anything I've been a type 1 so long I don't really remember a time without insulin. I still eat what I like most of the time and bolus accordingly. I still have treats but even if I wasn't diabetic they'd still be just occasional treats....

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with you OP. I miss being able to push myself :/

I used to be able to just get on a bike and ride as long as I wanted, with the only worry being the weather. Now I have to carry so many supplies, and begin prep so far in advance it takes out much of the fun.

I used to be able to disappear for days on end, sleeping at friends houses, going on spontaneous trips, but now it takes much more planning and forethought.. it makes me feel like I have been put on a leash... I can't event work late unless i plan to and bring enough food with me.

Reactions: Wurst

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Diamettic

I don't know what career you have but for me I have a few bottles of coke, a pack of dark choco digestives and other assorted treats in my desk drawer. I have put a glucogel in the first aid worst case and I know if I work late and completely run out, there is a Costco Size bag of sugar I can place my face into (worst worst case scenario).

While my diet hasn't changed that much (it seemed I wasn't a treat/ carb fiend initially) I miss just going for what I fancied, the prep and should I risk it thoughts ruins the moment.

Reactions: Freema

Sauron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morons
I am so new that as of yet have not been missing anything but am sure that will change