Beans and pulses

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had noticed in the Vegetarians what have to eaten today thread that a lot of people do have beans and grains like cous cous but I understood they were not good as they raised blood sugar so I don't eat them any more even though I do love them. I have really gone of meat lately
I wonder if someone could please tell me how to make a nut roast as I really fancy that also chick pea flour flat bread I do have some gram flour which I believe is made from chick peas. I don't like anything made with almond or coconut flour

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Here's Jamies version................

And you can find the instructions for other variants too.

Rosieshe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had noticed in the Vegetarians what have to eaten today thread that a lot of people do have beans and grains like cous cous but I understood they were not good as they raised blood sugar so I don't eat them any more even though I do love them. I have really gone of meat lately
I wonder if someone could please tell me how to make a nut roast as I really fancy that also chick pea flour flat bread I do have some gram flour which I believe is made from chick peas. I don't like anything made with almond or coconut flour
I find it depends, I have had to start to test everything again. body changes. I am ok with chickpeas whole but not with Gram flour. I cant do Cous cous but I can do 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa. For me its finding out what works

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it depends, I have had to start to test everything again. body changes. I am ok with chickpeas whole but not with Gram flour. I cant do Cous cous but I can do 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa. For me its finding out what works
Thanks yes I suppose it is just a question of trial and error to see what suits us

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
I know this is an old thread but I had to post what I think is the best (and easiest to make) nut roast ever. The biggest issue I find with nut roasts is getting the right constituency and this recipe has it spot on. Nowadays I use Lidl high protein rolls instead of bread and do not use cashew nuts. A variation in the original Crank's recipe book was to put one half of the mixture in the loaf tin, then put a layer of sliced tomatoes and/or sliced cheese and the remaining nut roast mixture on top.. I have experimented a bit and my preferred variation is a layer of roasted red peppers and some feta cheese. I hope you enjoy this.http://www.cranks.co.uk/gb/recipes/nut-roast

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hummus raises me far more than it should. One small spoonful if I'm low and I'm right back up

Chaobaby7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
junk food, modern life, crowds, heat and loud music
i also have IBS and find lentils, pulses and nuts mean being glued to the loo all day. I really struggle with protein food but love chickpeas and recently got into quorn, I didn't try it for ages thinking it would be bland and not nice but I have had fun customising it and making it into all sorts and especially love Quorn roast and eat it cold as well,

Reactions: Pixieboo

Chaobaby7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
junk food, modern life, crowds, heat and loud music
I know this is an old thread but I had to post what I think is the best (and easiest to make) nut roast ever. The biggest issue I find with nut roasts is getting the right constituency and this recipe has it spot on. Nowadays I use Lidl high protein rolls instead of bread and do not use cashew nuts. A variation in the original Crank's recipe book was to put one half of the mixture in the loaf tin, then put a layer of sliced tomatoes and/or sliced cheese and the remaining nut roast mixture on top.. I have experimented a bit and my preferred variation is a layer of roasted red peppers and some feta cheese. I hope you enjoy this.http://www.cranks.co.uk/gb/recipes/nut-roast
Love Lidl high protein rolls.